Nationwide outage of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp - DOWN !

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
I use Nextdoor for recommendations from neighbors. Most posts in my neighborhood get 10 replies max, even controversial topics. There were about 100 replies regarding Facebook being down. I'm not in a tech heavy neighborhood, so most were panicking all day, assuming there was something wrong with their internet.

The level of dependence on Facebook is insane, especially for a company that effectively sold out the country for higher profits.

It reminds me of the Dr Who episodes poking fun at reality shows, social media, etc...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Fox News doesn't change their message based on who is watching. Imagine Sean Hannity advocating for Medicare for All to one viewer while another viewer sees him strongly opposed. At the same time.
Are you saying Fox's pre-Trump and post Trump positions haven't changed??

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Are you saying Fox's pre-Trump and post Trump positions haven't changed??
You're missing the point... when liberals and conservatives watch Sean Hannity on Fox News what he says is exactly the same. In Facebook world, Sean Hannity would be a bot whose sole job is to trigger the viewers any way it can.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I propose we have a national social media down day on Saturdays. All social media sites/apps go black for 24 hours.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Heard about it on forums, haven't used FB since 2016. All my old relatives probably went on a chain email spree to get their daily fix of misinformation.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Purposely creating social discord and chaos for profit should be criminal.
I'm obviously doing something wrong with Facebook. People always say stuff like this but my feed is just what my friends have posted.
Its like being at the pub, just be careful who you hang out with. If you share a table with a bunch of maniacs you can't really complain about the conversation!

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I'm obviously doing something wrong with Facebook. People always say stuff like this but my feed is just what my friends have posted.
Its like being at the pub, just be careful who you hang out with. If you share a table with a bunch of maniacs you can't really complain about the conversation!
I haven't seen it either...just going based on what the whistleblower said. Then again maybe our accounts don't meet the specifications / requirements of their algorithm?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Same boat here.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Same boat here.
Unfortunately my extended family are a bunch of RWNJ that like to call themselves "Christians." they would go so far as to send private messages with wakadoo links trying to pursuade my immediate family that we were all going to burn in hell or some shit. They would defend putting children in cages and regularly make racist attacks against anyone and everyone.

So, even though I personally wasn't seeing these targeted adds, my family and some friends were. Those ads would anger them and make them motivated to "convert" others.

In the end I left Facebook in 2018 or so. I'm much happier not knowing the insane inner workings of those people now.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Unfortunately my extended family are a bunch of RWNJ that like to call themselves "Christians." they would go so far as to send private messages with wakadoo links trying to pursuade my immediate family that we were all going to burn in hell or some shit. They would defend putting children in cages and regularly make racist attacks against anyone and everyone.

So, even though I personally wasn't seeing these targeted adds, my family and some friends were. Those ads would anger them and make them motivated to "convert" others.

In the end I left Facebook in 2018 or so. I'm much happier not knowing the insane inner workings of those people now.
Oh, I've got friend requests from relatives that are never getting answered. They're more than welcome to die mad about it if they so choose.

behold_my_field.JPG

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Think Facebook is getting a bad rap. The problem is the people incapable of putting it down and oversharing. If it isn't FB it'd be something else. But I do think Congress needs to find a way to combat the torrent of lies posted online. Maybe it is time to update the libel laws.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Saw an interview on a local station. Both of the people couldn't wait for Facebook to come online so they could "catch up". Brain damage already accomplished.

The video rewind scene in Spaceballs gets funnier everytime.

Wooosh! Hint: What was there to catch up on?

Last edited: