National Polls Tied - Trending Obama

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I am convinced no polls are accurate until someone asks me about my preference

on a side note, where can I find the data on these polls? How do they get their people?

edit. nvm, I just read the poll from fox news. I would rather put a nail in my head then agree to go through pages of poll questions.

Polls would be much more accurate if you just call and say, hey, who are you voting for? Click

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
McCain/Palin do well when it's about narratives.

Obama/Biden do well when it's about the issues.

When the DJIA drops almost 1000 points in two days of trading this week, it's about the issues.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
so i guess a thread started just a couple hours ago wasn't good enough for you?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton

When the DJIA drops almost 1000 points in two days of trading this week, it's about the issues.

how's that 538 link doing that you were so happy constantly posting before.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
McCain's bounce is gone. By the end of this week Obama will be up +2-4 pts in all national polls.

McCain won't have a chance to regain momentum until the 1st debate, barring a major gaffe from Obama/Biden. Now that Obama is focusing on the economy he appears to have found his footing and a consistent message in which he can attack McCain and put him on defense.

"The fundamentals of the economy are sound" are this election's "I was for it before I was against it".

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Oh no, I am now suffering from information poll overload. Just below this thread is another one by Non Prof John stating its McCain going away. How can both of these threads be correct?

But I want to vote with the majority so I will feel vindicated on election day. And that means I should only be rooting for the poll sitter as each new poll comes out. Looks like I am going to be doing a lot of allegiance changing between now and election day. Please God, let me be in the majority or I will be so ashamed of myself.

Please do not check your sarcasm meters, I already stole your batteries because I need all the computing power I can get to tell who the winner will be. My next trick will be to play enie meanie minie moe with a box full of millipedes.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
"The fundamentals of the economy are sound" are this election's "I was for it before I was against it".
Yep, I just realized that today when I watched this.

McCain was a bumbling idiot on Monday, too proud to take a much needed stab at the failed policies of the last eight years while the markets were in panic. He needed to come off as strong, and failed miserably.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
McCain still has 2 big negatives working hard against him.
- He still represents the dominant party whose ideology is now out of favor. Primarily because they went too corrupt and radical with it under Bush, and McCain has recently signaled that wasn't radical enough.
- He still has no handle on domestic and economic issues, which are once again rising to the forefront.

You can see how, by picking Palin as his VP, McCain sought both to rally the party's ideological base and to take back domestic issues with the religious conservatives, but unfortunately, realities on Wall Street have intervened with his plans.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

McCain too proud to take a much needed stab at the failed policies of the last eight years while the markets were in panic. He needed to come off as strong, and failed miserably.

Yeah, and let's talk about the candidates of change

McCain has indeed voted to support Bush 95 percent of the time most recently, but less so in earlier years. And Obama has voted pretty close to 100 percent in line with fellow Democrats during his brief Senate career.

Which one would I think more likely to act for the country first and not the party.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi

McCain too proud to take a much needed stab at the failed policies of the last eight years while the markets were in panic. He needed to come off as strong, and failed miserably.

Yeah, and let's talk about the candidates of change

McCain has indeed voted to support Bush 95 percent of the time most recently, but less so in earlier years. And Obama has voted pretty close to 100 percent in line with fellow Democrats during his brief Senate career.

Which one would I think more likely to act for the country first and not the party.

Which of those did Bush do?

Oh wait, that's right, you're one of those who think that the Democrats have been running this country the past 8 years!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
McCain still has 2 big negatives working hard against him.
- He still represents the dominant party whose ideology is now out of favor. Primarily because they went too corrupt and radical with it under Bush, and McCain has recently signaled that wasn't radical enough.
- He still has no handle on domestic and economic issues, which are once again rising to the forefront.

You can see how, by picking Palin as his VP, McCain sought both to rally the party's ideological base and to take back domestic issues with the religious conservatives, but unfortunately, realities on Wall Street have intervened with his plans.

Not just that but the atrocious interviews Palin has had. I'm sure they were cringing every time she was questioned.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: mizzou
I am convinced no polls are accurate until someone asks me about my preference

on a side note, where can I find the data on these polls? How do they get their people?

edit. nvm, I just read the poll from fox news. I would rather put a nail in my head then agree to go through pages of poll questions.

Polls would be much more accurate if you just call and say, hey, who are you voting for? Click

I don't think the polls are accurate either, however they have changed towards Obama again.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

According to your own words the slander against Palin should end if you want to win.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

According to your own words the slander against Palin should end if you want to win.
The slander has ended. The facts are eating her alive.

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Carmen813
Looking at Realclearpolitics it appears that McCain's convention/Palin bounce is ending. Obama has caught back up in National polls, and appears to be regaining the lead.

http://www.realclearpolitics.c...resident/national.html

About what I expected, the economic news this week is bad news for McCain.

It depends... from what I'm reading it looks like the Dems have a lot of linkage to the current mortage crisis.

1) Obama is the second highest recipient of Fraudie Mae and Fraudie Mac money
2) Obama has two former CEOs of Fraudie Mae as advisors and its these same advisors who basically cooked the books, Enron style to defraud investors and pad their own pockets to get larger bonuses
3) We have Barney Franks, ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee saying in 2005 at a hearing to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that: "These two entities ? Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ? are not facing any kind of financial crisis.? Even though it is clear from a whisleblower that Fannie Mae was cooking the books and to any economist, we could see that the mortage business was going to meltdown.
4) Contrast to Franks, we have McCain saying in 2006 in support of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act (an act eventually blocked by Democrats) stating:

"Mr. President, this week Fannie Mae?s regulator reported that the company?s quarterly reports of profit growth over the past few years were ?illusions deliberately and systematically created? by the company?s senior management, which resulted in a $10.6 billion accounting scandal.

The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight?s report goes on to say that Fannie Mae employees deliberately and intentionally manipulated financial reports to hit earnings targets in order to trigger bonuses for senior executives. In the case of Franklin Raines, Fannie Mae?s former chief executive officer, OFHEO?s report shows that over half of Mr. Raines? compensation for the 6 years through 2003 was directly tied to meeting earnings targets. The report of financial misconduct at Fannie Mae echoes the deeply troubling $5 billion profit restatement at Freddie Mac.

The OFHEO report also states that Fannie Mae used its political power to lobby Congress in an effort to interfere with the regulator?s examination of the company?s accounting problems. This report comes some weeks after Freddie Mac paid a record $3.8 million fine in a settlement with the Federal Election Commission and restated lobbying disclosure reports from 2004 to 2005. These are entities that have demonstrated over and over again that they are deeply in need of reform.

For years I have been concerned about the regulatory structure that governs Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?known as Government-sponsored entities or GSEs?and the sheer magnitude of these companies and the role they play in the housing market. OFHEO?s report this week does nothing to ease these concerns. In fact, the report does quite the contrary. OFHEO?s report solidifies my view that the GSEs need to be reformed without delay.

I join as a cosponsor of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, S. 190, to underscore my support for quick passage of GSE regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole.

I urge my colleagues to support swift action on this GSE reform legislation."

5) We also got numerous publications attributing the current housing and mortgage collapse on Carter and Clinton era regulations that forced lenders to loan money to low-income high risk borrowers, all in the grand scheme to allow affordable housing to the poor. Of course, that's not the whole story but once people get it into their heads that it was these liberal policies that caused this mess, traditional blame to blame Wallstreet on the republicans is going to shift towards the Democrats.

As shown in this NRO article, all McCain and the Republican packs need to do from now till the election is say:

James Johnson, former CEO of Fannie Mae and current Obama advisor, has cost us many tens of billions of dollars we can?t afford.

Franklin Raines, former CEO of Fannie Mae and current Obama advisor, has cost us many tens of billions of dollars we can?t afford.

Barack Obama: if we can?t afford his advisors, we certainly can?t afford him.

Contrast to Obama's message about McCain using lobbyist in his compain versus Obama using these pirates, it's going to be Bill Ayers/Jeremiah Wright x10.

If all Obama can do is blame this on Bush and 8 years of this, when the primary culprits of Fannie Mae's collapse are on his payroll, this bounce is not going to last much longer.

Add to the fact that Biden was the 1 of 3 Democrats who voted for that 2005 Bankruptcy Reform Act and voted to allow legalize usury and allow credit card companies to charge 33% interest... these facts are going to hit home to a lot of voters.