National Honors Society? Is this a big deal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AgaBoogaBoo, Mar 14, 2005.

1. AgaBoogaBoo

AgaBoogaBoo Lifer

I applied, got accepted, now tomorrow is rehearsal for the induction ceremony...

At first I though an induction ceremony was too much, but now rehearsal?

Is this really that big of a deal?

2. AgaBoogaBoo

AgaBoogaBoo Lifer

err, I was chosen, but those chosen still had to apply

3. neonerd

neonerd Diamond Member

from what i've been told, colleges love it

4. apac

apac Diamond Member

dunno why, I remember it was a total joke. We didn't do crap but I put it on my resume.

5. neonerd

neonerd Diamond Member

i don't know whether you're supposed to do much or not, but i was told colleges will like you if it's on your resume ;)

6. Demo24

Demo24 Diamond Member

my dad works at a college and told me I needed to fill out the application and send it in. Apparently like said above looks real good to colleges :)

7. Jpark

Jpark Platinum Member

colleges love it. i received a few extra scholarships because some of my extra curricular things.

8. Skiguy411

Skiguy411 Platinum Member

It has always reminded me of a cult. During the inductions, I was waiting for them to bring out the sacrificial lamb.

And yes, colleges love it.

9. Kishan

Kishan Platinum Member

Before everyone keeps shouting Colleges Love It! What school are you applying to? Top 50 just expect to see it there. Either way, quite honestly since you're inducted, its a load of BS.

10. TheLonelyPhoenix

TheLonelyPhoenix Diamond Member

The ceremony is just for parents to slap each other on the back. Membership is all you need. And yeah, being in NHS looks very good on a resume, though high schools are starting to let waaaaaaaaaay too many people into it. My high school let in several dozen people who had been caught plagarizing their freshman year because their mommies and daddies came and complained.

11. OREOSpeedwagon

OREOSpeedwagon Diamond Member

I talked to a teacher about it the other day, and she said it wouldn't affect whether or not you got into a college. I don't do a single bit of extracurricular stuff, but I've got decent grades (around a 3.8 GPA). I'm hoping one of the in-state schools will take me, Indiana University or Indiana State, lol.

edit: I've missed the application deadline (for NHS) the past 2 years btw :eek:

12. EyeMWing

EyeMWing Banned

Heh, NHS is a big deal at some HS's, other places they inflate membership to the ridiculous. There's no real uniform standard. I'm top 10% in my class and have never been invited, but people in the BOTTOM 10% have. I don't care, I just laugh it off as the joke it is.

Also, PSU admissions (Central, not the satellite campus) said that they don't give a rat's ass. Private schools might, though.

13. t3hmuffinman

t3hmuffinman Senior member

my school has about 100 or more people i believe, many of which are not that intelligent or bound for the top colleges.

14. OREOSpeedwagon

OREOSpeedwagon Diamond Member

the one at my HS has members that don't even plan on going to college.

15. Skiguy411

Skiguy411 Platinum Member

Did anyone else have to light candles, stand, and repeat the pledge?

16. TheLonelyPhoenix

PSU applications aren't actually looked at by human beings 99% of the time. They feed your GPA and your standardized test scores into a computer, add some weighting for AP and Honors courses, and spit back a magic number which is your "worth" to the college. Those who 'make the cut' are accepted automatically through rolling admissions, those who don't are mailed a rejection, and those who are on the borderline have their application reviewed a little further. Its the only way for them to actually get through the thousands of applications they get from all over the state.

Any college app that is actually looked at by a person will give weighting to NHS and other extracurriculars. Rather than a cold calculation from your grades and scores, those applications are viewed more like "What does this person have on their side that would make them worthy of acceptance?" The more ammunition you have on your resume, the better your chances.

17. Landroval

Landroval Platinum Member

What gives you the idea that colleges "love it"?

18. Kishan

Kishan Platinum Member

You guys misread it- top 50 don't really care but it just "should" be there. Doesn't really mean anything just like the minutia of class rank. #12 and #13 aren't that major, but #1 and #2 are.

19. EyeMWing

EyeMWing Banned

Yep, and that's why state schools are TEHRAWX. Un-fucked-around-with performance. None of that nimbly-bimbly "Oh, wow, a 2.0 GPA, but a member of NHS! Bonus points!!!!! AND HE PLAYS BASKETBALL TOO!"

Sorry, but your participation in high school extracurriculars doesn't mean jackshit about how you're going to get on in a university environment or in the real world unless you're going in on an athletic scholarship (which, by the way, I am in full favor of). In fact, the lack of structure and the sudden introduction of OMGSOCIALLIFE has created more than a few cases of freshman dropout that I'm aware of.

20. eLiu

eLiu Diamond Member

colleges don't give a damn about this one.

There are so many schools with their own separate chapters, and the thing is not centrally run. So while some schools may have serious programs and do real stuff, others may just induct everyone and then have parties for meetings. (Seriously)

So you might make it worthwhile for colleges if you take on a 'leadership' role or whatever and describe what you accomplished...otherwise it's not a very respectable extra "list item" on apps.

21. neonerd

neonerd Diamond Member

some teachers told me...i really have no other way of knowing for sure.

22. Landroval

Landroval Platinum Member

I think most will take it with a huge grain of salt, knowing the reality of how people are selected. It won't hurt, but I doubt it helps at all in most cases either.

23. Gibson486

Gibson486 Lifer

NO! This wont even help you get into a college really, either. Also, once you are in college, its the same as being elected president of the beer club. No one will give a care. Top Ivy schools couldn't care less. b/c if you go there, it is a given that you are in it. Top Tier schools do not pay attention to it because they can tell by your grades if you are honor society matrial. 2nd and third tier schools really don't care because the majority of students who go there really don't have that merit. This merit is more for your parents to know you did well. If you want a somethng impressive to put on your transcript, get into Mensa (sp?) ;).

24. TheLonelyPhoenix

I half-agree with you. Extracurriculars may not be the end-all of how you'll get on in college, but neither are grades. When I left high school, I had a 3.5 weighted GPA, and I've been fairly successful in engineering at a great school for it. By contrast, I've watched kids who left their high school with 3.8+ GPAs crash and burn in college. Colleges are starting to realize that people are more than just a resume; this is why so many have interviews now. They're trying to accept a "whole person" rather than just a few numbers. Granted, the system is still flawed in many ways, but I prefer that than just being judged by my grades (which, incidentally, also vary greatly from high school to high school).

I have my own things to say about athletic scholarships, but I'll save those for another thread.

25. Anonemous

Anonemous Diamond Member

whoops didn't put it on my resume and i paid the dues! :(