National Enquirer makes offer; Bezos: "No thank you, Mr.Pecker"

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I love how they think Bezos has editorial control of wapo and can stop investigations. It’s a stupid alt news talking point and they tilted into it like dummies.
I think it's also a lot of projection.. That's what they would do, could they..

Reactions: esquared
Feb 4, 2009
Per msnbc amazon investigated where the data leak came from and it appears what I thought to be incredibly creepy is what happened. The Brother of his at the time Mistress accessed her phone and forwarded the pictures.
The Brother has issues, who would do that regarding their Sister, who would look at naked pictures and sexting regarding their Sister?

#MAGA

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Per msnbc amazon investigated where the data leak came from and it appears what I thought to be incredibly creepy is what happened. The Brother of his at the time Mistress accessed her phone and forwarded the pictures.
The Brother has issues, who would do that regarding their Sister, who would look at naked pictures and sexting regarding their Sister?

#MAGA

Damn man .. I dont know if you are playing an assist here or what, anyway here goes:

"The Brother has issues, who would do that regarding their Sister,"

Who ?
Hitlerjugend.
The faithful Hitlerjugend would do that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Youth

Did we score? :). - Or is it one of those where winning is still loosing?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

#MAGA

Anybody here ever watch “The League”? My mind keeps going there for some reason...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I do love the spin on it from AMI's lawyer-

"It absolutely is not extortion and not blackmail," Abramowitz told "This Week" on Sunday. "The story was given to The National Enquirer by a reliable source that had been giving information to the National Enquirer for seven years prior to this story. It was a source that was well known to both Mr. Bezos and Miss [Lauren] Sanchez."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ami-ceo-david-peckers-attorney-responds-amazon-ceo/story?id=60964546

He's claiming that legally obtained material can't be used for illegal purposes which is obvious bullshit. Had AMI simply published the material it wouldn't have been extortion. Threatening to publish it if Bezos doesn't do what they want obviously is extortion, however. That's a no-brainer.

Reactions: Jimzz

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Holy extortion, Batman! I can't believe that David Pecker's attorney actually put their demands into writing.

Bezos, the new Pecker wrecker.

God damn Bezos destroyed David Pecker. And of course David pecker, a purveyor of actual fake news is associated with Drumpf. The guy who likes to everything fake news.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Apparently the brother is friends with Roger Stone and some others in the Trump inner circle.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Is anyone really surprised that Trump is closely connected to a media outlet that is really a front for an extortion and blackmail racket?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Why is the world would you think its a good idea to fuck with the richest man in the world. Like he could literally squash you.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm confident Pecker runs his sleazy rag that way...

uh, it's not even a question, really. Isn't that exactly what he admitted when testifying that he was buying up Trump's stories to kill them?

lulz.

Mar 11, 2004
Apparently the brother is friends with Roger Stone and some others in the Trump inner circle.

I have a hunch they probably knew that was a serious possiblity (and even the likeliest scenario), but this gave them a legit reason to point to the ties between AMI and the Saudis and plausibly go "did the Saudi's or Turmp administration do something illegal in order to give info to AMI to try and extort Bezos"? Because it seems plausible, and the Saudis have been bristling over having been connected with payments which I'm sure was communicated to AMI. This just gave it a juicy mass appeal angle that will get even stupid people to actually digest that information.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I do love the spin on it from AMI's lawyer-

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ami-ceo-david-peckers-attorney-responds-amazon-ceo/story?id=60964546

He's claiming that legally obtained material can't be used for illegal purposes which is obvious bullshit. Had AMI simply published the material it wouldn't have been extortion. Threatening to publish it if Bezos doesn't do what they want obviously is extortion, however. That's a no-brainer.
except I doubt that they were obtained legally as they were probably forwarded to his phone without the sister's knowledge and of a intimate nature.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
What I don't understand though is that when they planned to send that e-mail, did none of them honestly wonder whether a) what they were doing was illegal and therefore b) providing an obvious record of their illegal act was such a bright idea?

I could understand if if they had the intellect of a typical forum troll and Dunning Kruger posterboy, but these people probably had to study to a degree level at some point in their lives, surely?

I wonder if such a criminal has ever been sued by the university they went to and/or the rest of their graduation class for making them look bad :D

Feb 4, 2009
What I don't understand though is that when they planned to send that e-mail, did none of them honestly wonder whether a) what they were doing was illegal and therefore b) providing an obvious record of their illegal act was such a bright idea?

I could understand if if they had the intellect of a typical forum troll and Dunning Kruger posterboy, but these people probably had to study to a degree level at some point in their lives, surely?

I wonder if such a criminal has ever been sued by the university they went to and/or the rest of their graduation class for making them look bad :D

Pure theory, I’m betting they thought since they are journalists they’d be protected by saying its research for a story.
I did hear some people on MSNBC warm that press freedoms are very important and they weren’t sure what to feel about this case because if it can be argued the National Inquirer isn’t press what about bloggers or people who have YouTube channels.

I’m sure they have done similar things to dozens of other people. They’ve always gotten away with it.
Be interesting if this goes to court to see how many celebrities and/or socialites have been made an offer like this.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
How many billions could Bezos stand to loose from a PR disaster that would be d*pics? Lawsuit much?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

They've likely been sending emails like this all the time, it's just that their targets aren't usually powerful enough (or the threat of the leaked details is dire enough) to make blackmail threats public. They didn't stop to think that the richest man in the world might fight back because virtually no one else has fought back.