Nate Silver Says GOP Has 60% Chance To Take The Senate This November

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Wait, what would the Senate Democrats block that they can't block under the current rules? This still makes absolutely no sense.

Also, the median ideology of the Republicans in Congress is much, much further to the right than when Clinton was in office. As a great example, John Boehner was considered one of the radical new Republicans when he joined. Now he's considered a RINO. Willing to compromise with 90's era Republicans is nothing like trying to compromise with 2014 Republicans. The current crop has radicalized to a pretty serious extent.

You're talking house, I'm talking senate. It may not make sense to change the rule back, but it strikes me as a symbolic thing. I guess I'm basing it on my opinion of Reid; he's a spiteful little ah heck. It just seems like the poke in the eye he'd do. Also, putting the filibuster back would make the reps look like bad guys if the tried to remove it. It's a perception thing.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Says the guy who has no clue what the recent change to the Filibuster accomplished but has no problem spouting off as though he does, exposing himself as the complete fool that he is. You know those people who watch too much Fox News that studies found to be completely misinformed about current events? That's you. Keep posting stale memes like you have some idea of where you are.

Sorry son, but I do know what change accomplished, as my follow-on posts show. The disadvantage on on-line discussion like this is that real life gets in the way of timely responses to clarify your point. Werepossum did a good job of iterating my point.

And btw, Clinton compromising on welfare reform was the thing that came to my mind. RL is pretty crazy atm, so I'm overly distracted and only get in here sporadically. The point being that Clinton was still more willing to deal with the majority reps than your hero.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I simply no longer care who wins, it will take millions to get there those millions will be provided by filthy rich people and corps, so any legislation will favor them no matter which party gets majority.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
I think that these predictions are right, Republicans will probably gain control of the Senate by a thin majority. I don't really think this will make any real difference, besides the 'obstructionist' slipper moving to the other foot.

So let's say that the Republicans gain control of the Senate. Do you think that Obama will have to veto more abortion bans, austerity measures, or PPACA repeals?

Nov 30, 2006
I think that these predictions are right, Republicans will probably gain control of the Senate by a thin majority. I don't really think this will make any real difference, besides the 'obstructionist' slipper moving to the other foot.

So let's say that the Republicans gain control of the Senate. Do you think that Obama will have to veto more abortion bans, austerity measures, or PPACA repeals?
I'm hoping that they will at least get some decent jobs bills on his desk.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nah, job creation is just more free stuff.

The 'jobs bills' they have put forth so far would have a marginal to zero impact on the job situation in the US. My hope would be that if they took the Senate they would put forth some more serious bills, but what they have made so far does not make me hopeful.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I'm sure the GOP will pick up seats. I hope they do actually, then they will actually have to try and be for something, then everyone can watch the craziness.

The hardliners in the house will be emboldened, and we'll likely get a roll of far right legislation that will be deeply unpopular. Obama can veto and be seen as holding off the barbarians and set the stage for 2016. Maybe the GOP can get really stupid and try some impeachment hearings and really waste time.

It can also be motivation for dems to get off their asses for 2016. It's been a long 8 years since 2006 when the dems swept in. Enough time to forget what GOP rule looks like.