Natalie Portman Strikes Back Now With the Full Letter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001

<<

<<

<< (She signed it with her family name, which is well known on campus, and we agreed to her request not to publish it here.) >>

<< Natalie Hershlag ?03 >>

I'm sure she'll love that you posted the name she goes by on campus to a forum of 80,000 people who would love to find her.
>>

Yeah, but she never asked Tex not to publish it.....if she wanted privacy she never should have chosen acting as a career, let her deal with it.
>>

If she wanted real privacy, she wouldn't have signed the letter with her family name.

But then again if the Washington Post article is accurate, it wouldn't have mattered which last name she signed with that tidbit is considered "well known." I'm going on a limb to guess she didn't have the entire Harvard body agree not to reveal it.

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
A good letter. She brings up a good point. But AFAIK the Ashkenazim (sp?) and Sephardim have their own set of problems/friction between them as well.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

<< Yesterday the 25-year-old Chaudhry speculated that the Crimson published the letter only because Portman is a movie star. >>

Today the 33-year-old Wilding speculated that the Crimson published Chaudry's letter was because it was inflammatory and would make good copy - thereby stimulating the Harvard student body to respond with actual intelligent remarks...

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<<

<< Anyway (in case you weren't kidding), she's an actress. Was in "The Professional" and more recently played Queen Amidalia in Star Wars: Episode I.! >>

Hmmm I saw the Star Wars Movie . So she's a bad actress who is using her 15 minutes of fame.
>>

One movie does not fully represent the talent of an actor. Like others have said, rent "The Professional" AKA "Leon" and see her work. She CAN be good. I just think the part in Star Wars was not her brightest moment. She does have real talent, though.

Juniper

Platinum Member
Nov 7, 2001
I think that Natalie Portman is one intelligent young woman. People tend to think of movie stars as dumb. There are exceptions, and she is one of them. I've read an article on her, saying that she regards her movie career as only a hobby, and that she wants to make psychology her real career.

As for the letter that she wrote, the point she is making is that the Chaudhry guy is making criticism without first researching his material.

wQuay

Nov 19, 2000
Natalie is pretty darn smart. Speaks several languages, and won some sort of science award a few years ago.

<< She's also anti gun >>

Aw, too bad.

LH

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2002
She doesnt go by her family name as an actress, simply because it just wouldn't fly in Hollywood. Come on Hershlag? No wonder she goes by her grandmothers maiden name. It had nothing to do with privacy IMHO.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<< She's also anti gun, but handles them pretty well in movies... >>

Strange, for a woman that supports one of the few countries with civilian gun laws more liberal (free) than the US.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
lots of actors, news anchors, radio personalities, and other "celebs" have screen names.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
"If she wanted real privacy, she wouldn't have signed the letter with her family name. "

Yeah, I noticed that too; surprised she did that. You guys who did use her name in your posts might want to edit them out for her sake. :)

"think that natalie Portman is one intelligent young woman. People tend to think of movie stars as dumb. There are exceptions, and she is one of them. I've read an article on her, saying that she regards her movie career as only a hobby, and that she wants to make psychology her real career"
Definitely. Very smart...think a site on her said she got over 1400 on SAT's (yeah, kind of trivial) but speaks 3 languages....definitely someone I'd love to meet. :D

Oh, and Nefrodite, thanks for the links.:)

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
<<Natalie is pretty darn smart. Speaks several languages, and won some sort of science award a few years ago.>>

if i remember correctly, it was the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF).
they had her family name AND ADDRESS! :D
but then they had to remove it. lol.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000

<< <<Natalie is pretty darn smart. Speaks several languages, and won some sort of science award a few years ago.>>

if i remember correctly, it was the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF).
they had her family name AND ADDRESS! :D
but then they had to remove it. lol.
>>

Time to go to ISEF next year and scout out all the hot smart women :D

WilsonTung

Aug 25, 2001
Tex, do you have a link to that letter? The Crimson doesn't seem to have it online - in fact they don't seem to have any letters to the editor, only guest columns.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
Note that F. Chaudhry didn't even try to defend her own April 11 "racist" letter or dispute Portman's rebuttal. If Chaudhry's original opinion was valid, you would've thought Chaudhry wouldn't need to grope for a lame celebrity dig.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
She seems pretty smart. I may even have to go see that new movie she's in. ;)

wampa

Apr 26, 2002
Don't forget that Steve Erkel aka Jaleel White went to UCLA and that Winny (sp?) from the Wonder Years also went to UCLA and studied math. Also that Bill Clinton's daughter Chelsea went to Stanford. Kellie Martin from Life goes On (the show with Corky) went to Yale. Joey lawrence from Blossom went to USC and Soleil Moon Frye from Punky Brewster went to NYU and Claire Danes went to Columbia.

Did you guys see the directors version of Leon? It was a little too suggestive, but she did some good acting. I think she looked better as Padme than as Queen Amidala....well she looked pretty good when she had the battle gown own also (towards the end when she was using the ascension gun). But that smile at the end off ep1 was horrible even for her. You know which scene I'm talking about?

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Listen guys if you haven't already you have to see Leon: The Professional. If you're a Natalie fan you have to see it it's such an awesome movie. Trust me, it's incredible.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
She was also in a movie called "Beautiful Girls."

Good Movie.
~wnied~