Nat Geo 100 world's most beautiful places: how many have you seen?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
01. Saguaro National Park, AZ USA
02. Redwood National Park, CA USA
07. Olympic Peninsula National Park, WA USA
08. Yosemite National Park, CA USA
09. Mt McKinley, AK USA
12. Bryce Canyon, UT USA
15. Glacier National Park, MT USA
29. Crater Lake, OR USA
39. Great Blue Hole, Belieze
58. Chichen Itza, Mexico
59. New York City, NY USA
72. Washington, D.C. USA
74. Mesa Verde, CO USA
75. Paris, France
78. Badlands National Park, SD USA
87. Great Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone Park, WY USA
88. Grand Canyon, AZ USA
93. Oregon Lava Fields, OR USA
100. The Praries, Midwest USA

Surprised I have seen so many of them.

I call complete and UTTER BULLSHIT on Number 1. I would put nearly everything in front of that, namely the others from the top 15 I've seen

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
Funny, I live in California and havn't been to the ones listed here.

I have been to both of the ones listed for Hawaii.
Haleakela crater in Maui and Na Pali coast in Kauai. I would think there would have been several more places in Hawaii that would have made the list. Haleakela is beautiful but it is just a big crater. Looks like the surface of Mars. The thing going for it is that it is probably the most spectacular place to see a sunrise.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
47 now, but when I was a wee bit younger and travelling around I got to 97 cities via 26 Countries I think it added up to?...

03. Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
06. Tuscany, Italy
13. Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
17. Killarney, Co. Kerry Ireland
23. Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park, New Zealand
24. The Highlands, Scotland
26. Great Barrier Reef, QD Australia
38. Milford Sound, New Zealand
46. Kaikoura, New Zealand
47. The Lake District, England
48. Cathedral Cove, New Zealand
51. Neuschwannstein Castle, Germany
52. Rome, Italy
54. Oxford, England
64. London, England
65. Santorini, Greece
67. Seville, Spain
68. Istanbul, Turkey
70. Amsterdam, Netherlands
75. Paris, France
86. Emerald Lakes, Tongario National Park, New Zealand
98. Mineral Forest, Pamukkale, Turkey

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
Surprised I have seen so many of them.

I call complete and UTTER BULLSHIT on Number 1. I would put nearly everything in front of that, namely the others from the top 15 I've seen

I haven't been to Saguaro, but based on google image search I'm not all that impressed. The list as a whole is pretty awful. A few of the cities really shouldn't be in there. New York is a fantastic city, but is it beautiful? Same for London, most of Paris. I would rank many cities above those three: Athens, Maastricht, Bath, York, Durham (UK) are all far more beautiful cities than those bigger ones listed.

As a whole, cities just seem out of place in a list like this to begin with. Have a list of beautiful location and a list of beautiful cities. Don't make a list of cities that are huge, very few of them are beautiful...

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
I haven't been to Saguaro, but based on google image search I'm not all that impressed. The list as a whole is pretty awful. A few of the cities really shouldn't be in there. New York is a fantastic city, but is it beautiful? Same for London, most of Paris. I would rank many cities above those three: Athens, Maastricht, Bath, York, Durham (UK) are all far more beautiful cities than those bigger ones listed.

As a whole, cities just seem out of place in a list like this to begin with. Have a list of beautiful location and a list of beautiful cities. Don't make a list of cities that are huge, very few of them are beautiful...

Agreed. But frankly, the Denali national park as a whole is more beautiful then most of the other US national parks on that list. MT McKinley being the only representative is too far down. Mesa Verde CO should even be before Saguaro as well as Red Woods and Yellowstone just to name a few.

ANd really, the Grand Canyon should be before Saguaro. That is just nonsense.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
it really isn't a list of the 100 most beautiful places, the name should be changed to "100 american centric places that pretty much everybody knows about".

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
07. Olympic Peninsula National Park, WA USA
09. Mt McKinley, AK USA
16. Jasper National Park, AB Canada
22. Autumn in New England, VT USA
29. Crater Lake, OR USA
49. Okefenokee Swamp, GA USA
72. Washington, D.C. USA
91. Northwest Passage, Canada
93. Oregon Lava Fields, OR USA
100. The Prairies, Midwest USA

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Might be worth noting that Patagonia is not on the list. I hope they fire the guy who made this thing.

New York City makes no sense. It's not beautiful and if they want to have a list that definitely includes impressive architecture then you might as well include the Taj Mahal.

Chitchen Itza without Angkor or Tikal?

Kinda a joke the more I look at this list.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Stopped reading when I got to NYC. If that makes it anywhere near a "most beautiful cities" list then the whole list is fucked. I don't consider taxis, hobos, and concrete to be attractive.

walkur

May 1, 2001
01. Saguaro National Park, AZ USA
02. Redwood National Park, CA USA
06. Tuscany, Italy
09. Mt McKinley, AK USA
12. Bryce Canyon, UT USA
13. Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
19. Jotunhelmen National Park, Norway
24. The Highlands, Scotland
29. Crater Lake, OR USA
31. Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
37. Loch Katrine, Scotland
51. Neuschwannstein Castle, Germany
52. Rome, Italy
54. Oxford, England
57. Bergen, Norway
64. London, England
67. Seville, Spain
70. Amsterdam, Netherlands
72. Washington, D.C. USA
74. Mesa Verde, CO USA
75. Paris, France
87. Great Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone Park, WY USA
88. Grand Canyon, AZ USA
90. Mojave Desert, USA
91. Northwest Passage, Canada
100. The Praries, Midwest USA

Planning my 6th trip to the USA trip next year, probably the Southeast, after that the only state I haven't visited will be hawaii.

Legios

Feb 12, 2013
Iguacu Falls deserves to be on the List. I think many of the places have to have factored in "Ability to get there with Ease" America has that done in spades. There are millions of places that are beautiful if you are willing to backpack to for a few days but I think they should say ultimately touristy destinations.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
a lot of the inclusions are strange, sure, if you ignore than this is composed by National Geographic and you remain ignorant to the mission of National Geographic.

and yes--there could certainly be far more beautiful places included. I would expect more "exotic" village and city settings, but NYC is actually a perfect collection of concentrated human culture. It really doesn't get better than that. You're only missing the remote, unconnected village cultures of the world.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Of course not everyone will agree with the list, but I really think they mailed in a few of these.

Big Sur is amazing though. I did the marathon there this year and damn... signing up to do it again next year.

I was surprised there isn't anything from the Pacific Northwest. Tofino is pretty nice.

Tofino-Rush-hour_001.jpg

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I don't have to look at the list to say "zero".

EDIT: I should note that I have traveled through the "Bad Lands" here in South Dakota, but never visited the actual park.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Of course not everyone will agree with the list, but I really think they mailed in a few of these.

Big Sur is amazing though. I did the marathon there this year and damn... signing up to do it again next year.

I was surprised there isn't anything from the Pacific Northwest. Tofino is pretty nice.
Olympic National Park
Crater Lake
Cannon Beach
Lava fields?

:D

The most beautiful flight I have taken was the inside passage from Seattle to Ketchican. I have yet to see Tofino but it is on the list.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Zero. If you count being picked up and dropped off at LaGuardia (both times at dark), then one.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
this list is shit

16. Jasper National Park, AB Canada
31. Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
100. The Praries, Midwest USA (well, canadian prairies. same shit).