Nashville church shooter wanted to kill a minimum of 10 white churchgoers.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I can see it being a hate crime but since this isn't an immigrant we need to see this as a diversion for the real crisis.
Um.

"The Sudanese immigrant entered the rear sanctuary doors and began “indiscriminately” shooting, killing Melanie Crow, 39, police said."

https://nypost.com/2017/09/25/this-hulking-usher-stopped-a-church-shooter-from-killing-more/
Thanks for pointing out he isn't an illegal, which is the most important thing.
So you think people assume "immigrant" means "illegal immigrant" and you actually say "immigrant" when you mean to say "illegal immigrant?"

...also, Dude, "illegal" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Undocumented," please. ;)

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'm telling the truth. You guys just assume that since I think Trump isn't that bad that I have to be a racist. You are indoctrinated.

No, we believed this since before Trump was a political figure. It has to do with what articles you choose to post and what positions you choose to take. It has to do with how important you find skin color and national origin in those stories. To put it bluntly when we are talking about human suffering the main thing you want to talk about is how it effects white people. That tells us that you think that being white is the important part.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No, we believed this since before Trump was a political figure. It has to do with what articles you choose to post and what positions you choose to take. It has to do with how important you find skin color and national origin in those stories. To put it bluntly when we are talking about human suffering the main thing you want to talk about is how it effects white people. That tells us that you think that being white is the important part.

For the millionth time, those things aren't important to me. I have people of color in my family. I have close friends that are very dark skinned and not born in this country. This is just another case of YOU building faux racism on the left. It is all you know how to do. As far as article I post, this tends to be a very one sided forum, I'm happy to do a little to help balance it out, though this is still by far a very leftist place.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
For the millionth time, those things aren't important to me. I have people of color in my family. I have close friends that are very dark skinned and not born in this country. This is just another case of YOU building faux racism on the left. It is all you know how to do. As far as article I post, this tends to be a very one sided forum, I'm happy to do a little to help balance it out, though this is still by far a very leftist place.

Yep. You probably still consider Italians to be "colored people."

Fuck off you preposterous, transparently racist bitch.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Your words and your actions don't match up. When that happens I pay attention to the actions.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

The fact is still that you get deeply 'concerned' only when white people are killed, downplay hate crimes and paper over conspicuously racist statements and policies from Trump. Pulling the classic "some of my best friends aren't white" stunt doesn't let you off the hook -- I'll bet that if your non-white friends and family knew how you behaved here, they'd rightly kick your ass.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Your words and your actions don't match up. When that happens I pay attention to the actions.

Please, explain this to me. I do not see myself as a racist, I think people are people. Far too often it seems with the left any criticism of a non-white person is something they equate to racism. It is ridiculous. I do not have any problem whatsoever with legal immigrants. Lefties need to stop pretending legal immigrants and illegal immigrants are the same thing. They need to stop pretending people coming here for "asylum" just looking to exploit a loophole also are not the same as vetted legal immigrants. I love our melting pot and think we're great in part because of it. We both hate guys like Dylan Roof. But you're more upset that I bring up this story than that the story in the OP here exists. You are indoctrinated.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The fact is still that you get deeply 'concerned' only when white people are killed, downplay hate crimes and paper over conspicuously racist statements and policies from Trump. Pulling the classic "some of my best friends aren't white" stunt doesn't let you off the hook -- I'll bet that if your non-white friends and family knew how you behaved here, they'd rightly kick your ass.

Show me where I downplayed a hate crime.

Trump's statements and actions are not racist. That is just the indoctrinated left that things privilege for minorities is the baseline can't handle hearing anything that isn't left of their PC line in the sand. Watching you guys freak out and claim racism over things like Trump saying "Pocahontas" or "bad hombre" is exactly what I'm getting at. How about this, why are you only offended when it is a white man that wants to kill black people, I don't think any of you showed any issue with the story in the OP. In stead it was all about me posting such a story. Pathetic.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Trump's statements and actions are not racist. That is just the indoctrinated left that things privilege for minorities is the baseline can't handle hearing anything that isn't left of their PC line in the sand. Watching you guys freak out and claim racism over things like Trump saying "Pocahontas" or "bad hombre" is exactly what I'm getting at. How about this, why are you only offended when it is a white man that wants to kill black people, I don't think any of you showed any issue with the story in the OP. In stead it was all about me posting such a story. Pathetic.

You've been parroting false claims about falling hate crime rates, for one thing. When a hate crime perpetrator is obviously a Trump supporter, you downplay that. And it's also rather telling that you only ever bring up the subject of hate crimes yourself when white people are the victims.

I'm sorry, but Trump routinely exhibits racist behavior. There's an extensively documented history of it. He's very obviously reluctant to condemn hate crimes against groups considered minorities in the US. There's the "very fine people" (which was not taken out of context, by the way) and "shithole countries" remarks. There's Trump demanding the deaths of the Central Park Five even after they'd been found innocent. And of course, there's the Obama birtherism lie he maintained right up until the election left him no choice.

For the record: I think hate crimes against any group are horrible, including the one in the OP. Responding to hate with more hate is not acceptable. But I also know that the preponderance of hate crimes in the US are committed by white people, not against them, and I find it disgusting that you both try to minimize that fact and obsess over the relatively few times when white people are the victims. Posting about white hate crimes against minorities shouldn't be shocking when that's both the general trend and has been on the rise since Trump's election.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Please, explain this to me.

I don't think there is much of a point, but I'll try.

You're on the side that thinks minorities aren't capable of making it on their own merits so you need to handicap for them.

This is a racist statement. Let me explain why. No one thinks that minorities can't make it on their own. What we think is that our society has kicked them down for so long and with such efficiency that for them to have a chance at equality we need to give them a hand up.
It is like we all lined up for a race, and then in 1787 the starting gun went off, but anyone of color we hobbled their legs together and clamped a ball and chain around their waist. Then in 1863 we removed the hobble, but left the ball and chain. Then in 1964 we finally removed the ball and chain. Now everyone that did not have that hobble and ball and chain has lapped them in this several hundred year race like 1000 times, but here you are saying that they no longer have the hobble or the ball so why does people think can't they win on their own? It is equal not so it is racist to think that they need help to win the race that they are only a few hundred years behind in.

We are left with two options, either you are being genuine and are simple ignorant of the extreme privilege you try to ignore, or are you being disingenuous and are basically arguing for a new type of a ball and chain?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't think there is much of a point, but I'll try.

This is a racist statement. Let me explain why. No one thinks that minorities can't make it on their own. What we think is that our society has kicked them down for so long and with such efficiency that for them to have a chance at equality we need to give them a hand up.
It is like we all lined up for a race, and then in 1787 the starting gun went off, but anyone of color we hobbled their legs together and clamped a ball and chain around their waist. Then in 1863 we removed the hobble, but left the ball and chain. Then in 1964 we finally removed the ball and chain. Now everyone that did not have that hobble and ball and chain has lapped them in this several hundred year race like 1000 times, but here you are saying that they no longer have the hobble or the ball so why does people think can't they win on their own? It is equal not so it is racist to think that they need help to win the race that they are only a few hundred years behind in.

We are left with two options, either you are being genuine and are simple ignorant of the extreme privilege you try to ignore, or are you being disingenuous and are basically arguing for a new type of a ball and chain?

Privilege based on skin color today is a made up concept. I understand that there was a time when equality wasn't a thing, but today it is. There is NOTHING holding any one back based on skin color in an appreciable way. Let me give you the very simple recipe that any one can follow to achieve in America: 1) Make responsible decisions (ie: don't have a baby at 17, you aren't mature enough and can't afford it). 2) Work hard.

Those two steps, anyone in America can follow and achieve. Simple as that. Anything else is removing personal responsibility and making excuses, lowering the bar for the sake of feelings. A specialty of the left today.

See these fantastic Americans I'm proud to call my brothers? They don't buy into the liberal excuse bs, and I bet they're all doing fantastic compared to the average "I"m a victim!" brainwashed minority. The left continually preaches that you can't, that it isn't even worth trying, it isn't your fault.. when the fact is anyone can. Making stupid decisions IS your fault. Go get it and stop being brainwashed into being a victim.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Guys the person who almost exclusively posts articles about crimes committed by immigrants and brown people while whining that white people are the true victims of racism wants you to know he can’t be racist he has a black friend.

Reactions: WelshBloke

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Guys the person who almost exclusively posts articles about crimes committed by immigrants and brown people while whining that white people are the true victims of racism wants you to know he can’t be racist he has a black friend.

Build that racism. That's all you have any more, to label those you don't care for as a racist. A new day but the same story.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Build that racism. That's all you have any more, to label those you don't care for as a racist. A new day but the same story.

Bad chain of causation there, brotha. It goes racist -> don’t care for you. Not don’t care for you -> racist.

I judge you by your words and actions. Can you explain to us why you, as a non-racist, so frequently post threads about crimes involving brown people and immigrants but have never, to the best of my knowledge posted a thread about white people committing crimes against minorities?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Bad chain of causation there, brotha. It goes racist -> don’t care for you. Not don’t care for you -> racist.

I judge you by your words and actions. Can you explain to us why you, as a non-racist, so frequently post threads about crimes involving brown people and immigrants but have never, to the best of my knowledge posted a thread about white people committing crimes against minorities?

The fact that I'm not a racist shows you to be wrong. Again.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The fact that I'm not a racist shows you to be wrong. Again.

Oh okay then, haha. Very convincing counter-argument. :)

This reminds me of when conservatives tried to claim Breitbart wasn’t racist when it literally had an entire tag dedicated to stories about black people committing crimes.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Nah, stating a judge is incapable of performing his job because he is Mexican isn't racist.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Nah, stating a judge is incapable of performing his job because he is Mexican isn't racist.
Don't forget the Gold Star family whose sacrifice Trump rejected because they are Muslim.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What was the point of your OP except to manufacture racism, as you call it? If by your own logic, race is so meaningless, they why did you go out of your way to talk about a black who wanted to kill whites? Why do you believe that there should be hate crimes? Why do you continuously bemoan here about being a victim of racism because you are white?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We don't have to "manufacture" racism, Trump has a highly efficient assembly line.

Yet, Slow says that's fine. But don't judge him based on that?

Who are you fucking kidding?

Let me predict Slow's response

Mexicans can't be judges?...nothing wrong with that
Blacks can't be accountants?...nothing wrong with that...you people are the real racists for bringing it up

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Privilege based on skin color today is a made up concept. I understand that there was a time when equality wasn't a thing, but today it is. There is NOTHING holding any one back based on skin color in an appreciable way. Let me give you the very simple recipe that any one can follow to achieve in America: 1) Make responsible decisions (ie: don't have a baby at 17, you aren't mature enough and can't afford it). 2) Work hard.

Those two steps, anyone in America can follow and achieve. Simple as that. Anything else is removing personal responsibility and making excuses, lowering the bar for the sake of feelings. A specialty of the left today.

See these fantastic Americans I'm proud to call my brothers? They don't buy into the liberal excuse bs, and I bet they're all doing fantastic compared to the average "I"m a victim!" brainwashed minority. The left continually preaches that you can't, that it isn't even worth trying, it isn't your fault.. when the fact is anyone can. Making stupid decisions IS your fault. Go get it and stop being brainwashed into being a victim.

See, this is why you are racist. You blame systemic discrimination on the people being discriminated against.

I could, and have in the past, post literally thousands of ways that discrimination still dominates the lives of minorities, but you will ignore them all because it does not fit your narrative that you are the real victim because society does not treat you as special as you believe you are.

Good decisions my ass. You came from a culture that has all the advantages and think that it was your intelligence that let you make the good decisions. It was your environment. The environment that you were able to be in because you were born to the right family in the right place to have the right assumptions about you. Assumptions that you fulfilled because that is what it means to be a part of a society. All while you reinforce the assumptions that make sure the vast majority of minorities don't succeed.