nasa hacked, disturbing video of war in IRAQ posted!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm with crab and Amused on this one. It was an obvious typo and not a true misspelling.

That was not disturbing at all. Just another dead terrorist.
God has a hard on for Marines, because we kill everything we see. He plays His games, we play ours. To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls. God was here before the marine corps, so you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the corps! -- Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, Drill Instructor

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
I'm with crab and Amused on this one. It was an obvious typo and not a true misspelling.

ok ok, i take back what i said, and truly apologize for the harm it caused.
sincere apologies, i just got carried away. nothing personal.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Wow... you guys really should see some vids from Nam.

i was looking at the "me" link in your profile, whats the external hardware you got hooked up to your comptuer on the shelf?
curious!

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
man, that's disturbing? not at all i say. have you seen those videos what happened during the chechna(sp?) war?

now THAT is disturbing stuff. I was horrified with nightmares for many nights.

Seeing a man stepping on another man, then taking out his knife and stabbing through his neck, then chopping it off like a chickens head is disturbing.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
If you want to see disturbing watch "The Killing Fields" about Polpot.

A mass murder that would NOT have happened had the liberal US politicians not insisted we stop supporting the Cambodian government after the US pull-out from Vietnam in 1975. As soon as all funding was stopped, the Khmrir Rouge overthrew the Cambodian government and promptly slaughtered 2 million people. (A vast number for such a small country)

Another fine example of the politics of appeasement and the liberal refusal to believe that communism is inherently evil.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

A mass murder that would NOT have happened had the liberal US politicians not insisted we stop supporting the Cambodian government after the US pull-out from Vietnam in 1975. As soon as all funding was stopped, the Khmrir Rouge overthrew the Cambodian government and promptly slaughtered 2 million people. (A vast number for such a small country)

Another fine example of the politics of appeasement and the liberal refusal to believe that communism is inherently evil.

Funny how everything can be made to be the fault of the US. The Khmer Rouge themselves bear the responsibility for the deaths of those millions in Cambodia, not the US.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

Funny how everything can be made to be the fault of the US. The Khmer Rouge themselves bear the responsibility for the deaths of those millions in Cambodia, not the US.

you have a point there, Astaroth, but can you at least acknowledge that the U.S. was keeping the Khmer Rouge in check? we knew they were dangerous, but the politicians decided to pull out.

its like handcuffing a gangster with a gun, and then letting him out on the street and expecting nothing to happen. and if that happened, the fault and blame would be put completely on the shoulders of the police.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

Our military and financial support was the only thing keeping the Khmer Rouge from power. It was decided by the liberals in this country that communism was no worse than capitalism, just "different." Therefore fighting the spread of communism was a violation of human rights.

Yeah, right. Tell that to the 2 million killed by the Khmer Rouge and the tens of millions killed by Stalin.

It wasn't until the fall of the USSR that US liberals finally separated themselves from communism and now deny they ever supported it... and dutifully looked the other way or excused the vast attrocities committed by communist systems while so viciously attacking any small problem the US got itself into.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Some people are saying on another forum linked here that the acts portrayed by these soldiers violated the Law of Landwarfare, or some such agreement. Apparently, you aren't allowed to kill an enemy combatant who is wounded. Now, if this is indeed correct, and the US supports this law, well then yes, I guess these Marines are guilty of murder.

But the video is so obviously edited to provoke sympathy for the Iraqi and outrage against the Marines, that I can't possibly take it seriously.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: zimu
Originally posted by: crab
Do you think that Iraqui would've given you any less? Hell no. Fvck him.

have to be american, since you
a) are obviously so narrow minded and have a really one dimensional viewpoint
b) can't spell iraqi.

i thought it was the canadians who insist on adding u's into words where they obviously don't belong?

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
I didn't find the killing disturbing. I found the high these marines get after killing that's disturbing. These are what, 20 year olds? Still very much kids in many aspect. It's one thing to be proud to go to war for your country, it's quite another to say on TV that killing is fun and it's something they want to do again. That's sick.

godspeedx

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2002
An injured but still armed Iraqi who had just attacked them. What did you want them to do? Walk up to him and disarm him???

Nice video editing on the hacker's end to make our soldiers look like murderers, but anyone with half a brain can see what's going on.

Yeah. You can see that they cut right before he said it makes you want to do it again.

godspeedx

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2002
They aren't telling the whole story here, of course it sucks that someone was killed... but hopefully in the future our government can arm soldiers with some type of immobolization weapon... maybe that guy could have had info on Saddam Hussein, who knows?

:confused::confused::confused:

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: godspeedx
They aren't telling the whole story here, of course it sucks that someone was killed... but hopefully in the future our government can arm soldiers with some type of immobolization weapon... maybe that guy could have had info on Saddam Hussein, who knows?

:confused::confused::confused:

yeah, his info on saddam is "they busted his punk ass last week, but i'm still fighting for him because i'm F'NG RETARDED."

edited for clarity on the important info.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
An injured but still armed Iraqi who had just attacked them. What did you want them to do? Walk up to him and disarm him???

Nice video editing on the hacker's end to make our soldiers look like murderers, but anyone with half a brain can see what's going on.

No, anyone with half a brain won't be blinded by patriotism that they will ignore any horrendous actions their country have committed. I remember a lengthy thread criticizing the Japanese for not admitting any fault on its quest for imperialism (they were wickedly cruel, that's why the Chinese and Korean are still very bitter), you remind me of the Japanese.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: MindStorm

No, anyone with half a brain won't be blinded by patriotism that they will ignore any horrendous actions their country have committed. I remember a lengthy thread criticizing the Japanese for not admitting any fault on its quest for imperialism (they were wickedly cruel, that's why the Chinese and Korean are still very bitter), you remind me of the Japanese.

how can you compare killing a dude who had just attempted to kill you with being wickedly cruel (which would probably include things like torture and the slaughter of women and children)?

godspeedx

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2002
I didn't find the killing disturbing. I found the high these marines get after killing that's disturbing. These are what, 20 year olds? Still very much kids in many aspect. It's one thing to be proud to go to war for your country, it's quite another to say on TV that killing is fun and it's something they want to do again. That's sick.

He obviously wasn't referring to killing the guy when he said he wants to do it agian.

Capitalize American, please.
:)

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: fisher

how can you compare killing a dude who had just attempted to kill you with being wickedly cruel (which would probably include things like torture and the slaughter of women and children)?

Is this also blind patriotism or stupidity? I can't tell. Here's the video I was referring to in my first post about marines getting a high off of killing:
http://brasil.indymedia.org/media/iraqiwar.avi

As for slaughtering women and children, let me remind you of My Lai. I was browsing PBS when I came upon a documentary about My Lai, that I seriously don't care to search for again because what I read sickened me to the bone. But I doubt it's hard to find. US marines came upon My Lai and started killing women, children, and elderly. Doesn't really touch you, does it? Well, they butchered the villagers - cut off their tongues, their hands, feets, etc. One boy's lower half body was gone. A girl stood by watching a brave, manly US marine on top of her naked 14 year old sister. After he was done, he got up, put his pants back on and executed her. One boy described seeing piles of bodies everywhere, including his mother's naked body after being raped. Next to her was a young girl whose vagina was slit open with a knife. The site went on to say that by the time the marines were done and went on their lunch break, they have slaughtered 500 villagers. They actually did all that and had the stomach to sit down and eat lunch. Seriously, how could I not compare this to what the Japanese did? Actually, My Lai is something that all other atrociticies by soldiers against civilians should be compared to. What's even worse is that I just know someone is ready to type a reply justifying what these marines did. Me, I've come to realize that US soldiers aren't always innocent, freedom-defending good guys a long time ago. Some of you should too.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000

He obviously wasn't referring to killing the guy when he said he wants to do it agian.

Stress and adrenaline make you do very unhuman things sometimes, especially in combat. The Marine that pulled the trigger will most likely live the rest of his life with some degree of guilt or question as to whether or not he had to do what he did.

My brother fought some dirty battles over there, clearing out several areas overrun by Saddam's Fedayeen (sp?). He said that if they were clearning a building or moving down a street and saw a man with a cell phone to his ear, he was shot dead immediately, no questions asked. Now, we can sit here all night discussing the horror of it or question whether or not this guy was simply calling in a pizza order, but war is war. It's just like the Geneva convention says you can't engage foot soldiers with HE 25mm rounds from a Bradley. Well, you can shoot enemy equipment with it under the GC. So guess what? His canteen is equipment, right? So are his boots, his backpack and most importantly, his weapon. The law of war is very specific and very fluid at the same time. I saw nothing wrong with this video, other than the editing. If this guy was making bombs, who's to say he's not strapped up himself? Or has that building wired up? Or there's other enemy combatants around the corner just waiting for a medic to come out and try to save him.

And how dare any of you, having never been put in this situation condemn or question his ability to shoot or judge his comments afterward. He just killed another human, enemy or not, that is a complete violation of humanity. War is not a natural thing for humans, never will be. Combat related stress and it's effects are taught heavily the higher up the ranks you go. This situation was obviously a combination of combat stress and the "pack mentality," both common in battlefield environments. Emotions run high, people react "inhuman" to things that are not natural to them. I've seen people in immense pain laugh or smile. So go on playing your Medal of Honor or Call of Duty and when you wound the enemy in the game, go right on ahead and let them live. Remember, it's a game so if this wounded enemy shoots you even once as you approach him, remember, you're dead in real life.

Mindstorm,

Just in case you think you're gonna jump all over me for anything I've said up here, don't even try. My Lai was a singular incident in American history that was a horrible attrocity. People have paid dearly for what they've done in Vietnam, some will never pay enough. Don't make the mistake of comparing those Marines with every other Marine/Soldier that came after them. And don't you dare forget the attrocities that these Iraqi soldiers have committed to their own people, much less the enemy they fight against.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Rogue

Stress and adrenaline make you do very unhuman things sometime, especially in combat. The Marine that pulled the trigger will most likely live the rest of his life with some degree of guilt or question as to whether or not he had to do what he did.

My brother fought some dirty battles over there, clearing out several areas overrun by Saddam's Fedayeen (sp?). He said that if they were clearning a building or moving down a street and saw a man with a cell phone to his ear, he was shot dead immediately, no questions asked. Now, we can sit here all night discussing the horror of it or question whether or not this guy was simply calling in a pizza order, but war is war. It's just like the Geneva convention says you can't engage foot soldiers with HE 25mm rounds from a Bradley. Well, you can shoot enemy equipment with it under the GC. So guess what? His canteen is equipment, right? So are his boots, his backpack and most importantly, his weapon. The law of war is very specific and very fluid at the same time. I saw nothing wrong with this video, other than the editing. If this guy was making bombs, who's to say he's not strapped up himself? Or has that building wired up? Or there's other enemy combatants around the corner just waiting for a medic to come out and try to save him.

And how dare any of you, having never been put in this situation condemn or question his ability to shoot or judge his comments afterward. He just killed another human, enemy or not, that is a complete violation of humanity. War is not a natural thing for humans, never will be. Combat related stress and it's effects are taught heavily the higher up the ranks you go. This situation was obviously a combination of combat stress and the "pack mentality," both common in battlefield environments. Emotions run high, people react "inhuman" to things that are not natural to them. I've seen people in immense pain laugh or smile. So go on playing your Medal of Honor or Call of Duty and when you wound the enemy in the game, go right on ahead and let them live. Remember, it's a game so if this wounded enemy shoots you even once as you approach him, remember, you're dead in real life.

Excellent post! :beer: