nasa hacked, disturbing video of war in IRAQ posted!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
Originally posted by: Kaervak
Hacking a NASA site to post a political message. Yeah that makes a lot of sense, cause space and Iraq are so closesly related, hell I confuse the two all the damn time. /end sarcasm. At least hack a site that has a closer relation to the war.

www.nasa.GOV

Plus they are running old ass software, so why not?

So it's got a .gov extension. Doesn't mean every single government agency/affiliation is a part of the war.

I don't think you understood the concept. It's a government website. They are making a political statement... against our goverment. That doesn't mean it has to be whitehouse.gov or fbi.gov to mean the same thing.

I got the point. I'm all for making political statements, but in my opnion, a site that's a little more closely related would have been a better target. Most people are going to see a NASA site and not make the connection.

Then again, you're dealing with most likely a group of script kiddies who hacked an easy target.

No, they chose NASA for a reason. If they fscked with someone else - like a .mil or whitehouse.gov or somthing, they'd have marines shooting at them and cheering in half an hour. Stupid terrorist script kiddies were too afraid to go for the REAL target, just as most terrorists are too afraid to go after the real object of their campaign and end up killing civilians instead.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Hacking a NASA site to post a political message. Yeah that makes a lot of sense, cause space and Iraq are so closesly related, hell I confuse the two all the damn time. /end sarcasm. At least hack a site that has a closer relation to the war.

www.nasa.GOV

So it's got a .gov extension. Doesn't mean every single government agency/affiliation is a part of the war.

I don't think you understood the concept. It's a government website. They are making a political statement... against our goverment. That doesn't mean it has to be whitehouse.gov or fbi.gov to mean the same thing.

I got the point. I'm all for making political statements, but in my opnion, a site that's a little more closely related would have been a better target. Most people are going to see a NASA site and not make the connection.

Then again, you're dealing with most likely a group of script kiddies who hacked an easy target.

No, they chose NASA for a reason. If they fscked with someone else - like a .mil or whitehouse.gov or somthing, they'd have marines shooting at them and cheering in half an hour. Stupid terrorist script kiddies were too afraid to go for the REAL target, just as most terrorists are too afraid to go after the real object of their campaign and end up killing civilians instead.

wow lol

edit: And on that note, I am done with this thread because it was only a matter of time before the popular buzzwords like terrorist (used to describe anyone against the US's policies) have emerged. Next, the posts will contain something to the effect of freedom fries, the Freedom Tower, and something about Never Forgetting. LETS ROLL!

BuckNaked

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The only thing disturbing about the video is it was edited and then the comments were taken out of context... The video was from a CNN special on troops dealing with the horrors of war.... IIRC, a few seconds more of audio you would here the guy talk about feeling guilty for the initial feeling of exhiliaration he initally showed...

Dave

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Considering that the link is dead, does somebody mind mirroring the vid?

btw who knows how you'd act in war. It sucks. I would probably feel a lot of immediate guilt or glee if I killed somebody who's killing me (haven't seen the vid though).

Anyway, vid please!

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003

www.nasa.GOV

wow lol

edit: And on that note, I am done with this thread because it was only a matter of time before the popular buzzwords like terrorist (used to describe anyone against the US's policies) have emerged. Next, the posts will contain something to the effect of freedom fries, the Freedom Tower, and something about Never Forgetting. LETS ROLL!

If you don't call people that walk into a public place and kill random people terrorists, then what do you call them? I'd REALLY like to know so I can abstain from calling them terrorists in the future.

'Terrorist script kiddies' was an attempt at humor due to the analogy that I constructed between them attacking an innocent server to accomplish their goals just as 'terrorists' (or whatever you would rather I call them) attack innocent people to accomplish theirs.

Now tell me what I should be calling these murderers or stop posting.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb

btw who knows how you'd act in war. It sucks. I would probably feel a lot of immediate guilt or glee if I killed somebody who's killing me (haven't seen the vid though).

Anyway, vid please!

Works fine for me, right-click save-as. If you can't find it, I'll gladly host a mirror for "If_You_Think_This_Is_A_Gruesome_War_Video_You_Are_A_Fvcking_Pansy.avi"

- M4H

BuckNaked

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

Anyway, vid please!

Works fine for me, right-click save-as. If you can't find it, I'll gladly host a mirror for "If_You_Think_This_Is_A_Gruesome_War_Video_You_Are_A_Fvcking_Pansy.avi"

- M4H
LOL...

:D

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001

www.nasa.GOV

wow lol

If you don't call people that walk into a public place and kill random people terrorists, then what do you call them? I'd REALLY like to know so I can abstain from calling them terrorists in the future.

'Terrorist script kiddies' was an attempt at humor due to the analogy that I constructed between them attacking an innocent server to accomplish their goals just as 'terrorists' (or whatever you would rather I call them) attack innocent people to accomplish theirs.

Freedom Fighters. ;)

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Buck_Naked
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

Anyway, vid please!

- M4H
LOL...

:D

Please Leech Responsibly :D

I only have 1gb/month.

- M4H

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: zimu
i don't think this is a repost, I couldn't find anythign similar.

Anyway, go to
THIS SITE
and read about it.

The video is so disturbing... its when things go too far.

You must have no idea what the real world is like.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: GoodRevrnd
Originally posted by: EyeMWingIf you don't call people that walk into a public place and kill random people terrorists, then what do you call them? I'd REALLY like to know so I can abstain from calling them terrorists in the future.

Freedom Fighters. ;)

I was gonna put that in there, but figured he'd get pissed off at the use of the word "freedom"

Some people are just stupid like that.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
i used the word "disturbing" cause there's this injured iraqi guy, who's basically sitting out there probably bleeding to death. I mean at the risk of sounding like some 70's freedom fighter smoking pot, i think the HUMANE thing to do here was at least take him into custody, make him a POW. Not shoot him down (and yes, the marine's aim was pretty damn pathetic...).

I mean yes, he's trying to kill you. He's following orders. so are you, sure, to prevent their efforts using necessary force. NECESSARY. not EXTREME. like wtf, just kill him? he's already down, he's practically dying, don't just kill him! he's a human being!

<ends smoking pot here>

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: TheBDB
i don't think this is a repost, I couldn't find anythign similar.

Anyway, go to
THIS SITE
and read about it.

The video is so disturbing... its when things go too far.

You must have no idea what the real world is like.

true. i saw the skater videos :)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
i used the word "disturbing" cause there's this injured iraqi guy, who's basically sitting out there probably bleeding to death. I mean at the risk of sounding like some 70's freedom fighter smoking pot, i think the HUMANE thing to do here was at least take him into custody, make him a POW. Not shoot him down (and yes, the marine's aim was pretty damn pathetic...).

I mean yes, he's trying to kill you. He's following orders. so are you, sure, to prevent their efforts using necessary force. NECESSARY. not EXTREME. like wtf, just kill him? he's already down, he's practically dying, don't just kill him! he's a human being!

<ends smoking pot here>

Just seconds ago, he was trying to kill you. Now he's wounded, but STILL ARMED. Do YOU risk YOUR life to go over there and disarm him? Or do YOU simply neutralize any remaining threat by killing him.

This is YOUR life we're talking about now, so be very thoughtful in your answer.

Silverbullet28

Jul 4, 2000
Another link to the video in question so M4H doesn't catch as much of the ATOT effect: Linky

The people who created that video made it look exactly like they wanted to, I doubt if we knew the whole story it would seem like they portray it.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Is there anyplace I can get the divx5 codec and not have to install GAIN for pop up ads?

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
maybe just download the NIMO lite codec pack, it has the freeware divx in it without the spyware.
or kazaa it.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Sorry I thought you had to download that entire stupid package. I found the codec by itself.