NASA Data Worse Than Climate-Gate Data, Space Agency Admits

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Guys, this has nothing to do with uncertainty in measurements, it has to do with an unknown and asystematic biasing factor. Remember the Tacoma Narrows bridge? An unknown factor (in this case wind resonance for the design) caused results far beyond any uncertainty in the design. In another location, or with a different superstructure design, the same effect would have been negligible. The point is that without knowing these factors you can't say anything useful.

Saying that the measured temperatures are rising and because the measurements generally agree with the measurements we know the measurements are reasonably valid is not good science. The theory of CAGW is not a direction - the Earth has been warming more or less continuously since the last major Ice Age, and likewise since the Little Ice Age - but a plotted curve. If your curve is based on flawed data points then your curve cannot say anything useful unless you can demonstrate that the flaw is systematic and can therefore be processed out. If you cannot (or will not) provide your data points then your curve cannot say anything useful. In this case the 0.6C increase has to be there and has to be legitimate for CAGW theory to be correct - saying that the 0.6C increase might be a 0.1C increase says nothing useful.

It has everything to do with uncertainty because folks are using the fact that the science is unsure as proof it is flawed.. which is ridiculous. (not you, but others even in this thread are... it is equally as ridiculous to use a set of bad data in a pool of millions as proof the millions are flawed... go ahead and throw out all of the data that you think is tainted, there is more than enough left to show a trend of warming.)

Obviously there will be systematic error in the measurements that will be hard to impossible to rule out.. these are always the case with everything. Climate is no different. A good scientist takes into account these possibilities and estimates them in the uncertainty. Sometimes some come up that are not foreseen, not all papers are correct after all.

You are in fact claiming uncertainty as proof that the values are wrong.. which is fair. You bring up very valid systematic errors that could plague the results.. maybe they under estimated the error and are quoting values to too high precision, thus making it seem much more valid than it is. But it is all uncertainty.

A bias is still included in the uncertainty. Though the benefit of a bias is that it can be perfectly accounted for once it is found, as opposed to random variations.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
But that isn't what they did....

Lots of scientists extrapolate a graph... they don't lie about doing it.. it is a very valid thing to do. There are hundreds of organizations pouring over the same data, it is not as if there is one point of contact that is hiding this flat part of the curve from folks.

No one is manufacturing data... they are extrapolating points based on poor results surely.. but there is still merit to it. Garbage in does get garbage out... but garbage is not useless. If someone takes a +/- 25% graph and uses it to say the temperature will lower .0025 degrees tomorrow they are being retarded... But that same graph is still useful even if it is not all that precise, it still might be accurate.

That is exactly what they did. They had two different sets of data. Tree ring data and recorded temperature data. They could have done two things. One is to extrapolate from the recorded temperature data. The second is to use the actual tree ring data.

What they did, taking tree ring data and grafting on the temperature data even though the temperature data during those years directly conflicted with tree ring data was wrong.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
That is exactly what they did. They had two different sets of data. Tree ring data and recorded temperature data. They could have done two things. One is to extrapolate from the recorded temperature data. The second is to use the actual tree ring data.

What they did, taking tree ring data and grafting on the temperature data even though the temperature data during those years directly conflicted with tree ring data was wrong.

You'll have to link me to the actual paper... sorry... I don't claim to know all about every single case where some scientist was retarded... that is surely a long list.

I am in no position to agree or disagree with you as I don't know about this situation.. the way you make it sound is that the made up the data.. that is possible.. but I'd have to actually look at their report to have an opinion one way or another.

Mind you... one report does not a theory make... certainly not one as huge as this... I really do wish big schools were more careful what gets published though, there is so much good info we don't need the credibility diluted because of the filth that gets out.

Last edited:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
It has everything to do with uncertainty because folks are using the fact that the science is unsure as proof it is flawed.. which is ridiculous. (not you, but others even in this thread are... it is equally as ridiculous to use a set of bad data in a pool of millions as proof the millions are flawed... go ahead and throw out all of the data that you think is tainted, there is more than enough left to show a trend of warming.)

Obviously there will be systematic error in the measurements that will be hard to impossible to rule out.. these are always the case with everything. Climate is no different. A good scientist takes into account these possibilities and estimates them in the uncertainty. Sometimes some come up that are not foreseen, not all papers are correct after all.

You are in fact claiming uncertainty as proof that the values are wrong.. which is fair. You bring up very valid systematic errors that could plague the results.. maybe they under estimated the error and are quoting values to too high precision, thus making it seem much more valid than it is. But it is all uncertainty.

A bias is still included in the uncertainty. Though the benefit of a bias is that it can be perfectly accounted for once it is found, as opposed to random variations.

Sigh. The science is flawed people people directly manipulated data to fit an expected result.

Someting not related to the manipulation is how well scientists are able to predict the future using current models. We're saying the models are not accurate enough to predict what will happen in 30,40,50 years. Heck, we can't even predict what the weather will be like in 2 weeks accurately. There is more to learn about the weather and about climate and until the models are accurate enough, policy decisions should not be based on climate science.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
You'll have to link me to the actual paper... sorry... I don't claim to know all about every single case where some scientist was retarded... that is surely a long list.

I am in no position to agree or disagree with you as I don't know about this situation.. the way you make it sound is that the made up the data.. that is possible.. but I'd have to actually look at their report to have an opinion one way or another.

Mind you... one report does not a theory make... certainly not one as huge as this... I really do wish big schools were more careful what gets published though, there is so much good info we don't need the credibility diluted because of the filth that gets out.

Google climategate.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Google climategate.
Oh yes, that one... I never bothered looking up those papers as it was difficult to get through the tripe on the net... perhaps someone will have it set out all nice like...
I'll look into it and tell you if I agree or not... but besides that.. Even if we agree how does one paper change the fact that there are hundreds written each day I do agree with. Mind you most I get to read first hand (and free) are Canadian papers, not many from Europe.

Someone claiming the sky is blue because of smurfs is unequivocally wrong... but it in no way discredits Rayleigh scattering as the reason..

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm not trying to be attacking, I don't understand why you are getting so confrontational... I have not claimed the data is useful.. merely that data that is not very precise CAN be... You attacked my credibility by claiming I don't understand what accuracy and precision are yet you were wrong, I have shown I do and you either misunderstood me or were trying to discredit me blindly.. This is not how civilized folks discuss things, if you don't agree with something I say point it out, fine.... but don't put words in my mouth. I'm sorry if I came off as defending this data.. I don't mean to.. I am defending the scientific method which folks don't seem to understand.

My problem is that people don't understand uncertainty and how it relates to science... They assume that unsure means wrong, or simple that it is an opinion. In actual fact nothing in science is certain so that presumption is flawed.

If you were measuring temperature with lawn darts I'd agree that it is wrong.. but there is a large difference between wrong and imprecise. Imprecise data is still useful, to a degree. I know this because I use it all the time, every scientist has to from time to time. I don't know if this data is useful or not, I'm not an expert in the field.. but the mere fact that it has flaws or that it is not precise does not discount its usefulness. So long as all of the claims are made within the certainty then they are valid.

I could measure the weight of an electron with a bathroom scale, I would find it to be 0, I would be correct to my level of certainty... This is profoundly pointless but it is not wrong. In some respects it at least puts an upper bound on the actual value (that being my resolution).

<Sigh> Sorry, I don't mean to be confrontational, you're a good guy. But again, the data are usefully precise. They MAY be usefully accurate. Problem is, we don't know. This isn't like experimental physics, where experiments are repeatable. We can't reproduce the last couple hundred years in a lab, so we have to come at the problem indirectly. There are numerous methods for indirectly measuring temperature, some of which extend into the present (and can be checked against known, directly measured temperatures) and some of which don't. So we have to test these different methods and see how they correlate with each other. A test which verifies known values is considered good; a test which does not track with known values is considered bad. We're now finding out that our baseline - the known accurate measurements we use to cross-check other methods that may be extended back into the past - is flawed, sometimes unintentionally (e.g. urban heat island effect) and sometimes intentionally (e.g. NASA's "special sauce" by which they massage data decades old to fit with new data into a pre-determined curve.) This is a huge problem in a potentially very important question.

Imagine you have hundreds of gamma ray detectors detecting background radiation for many decades. You use these numbers to establish a baseline for your own experiments in particle decay energy, correcting for the amount of gamma radiation at a particular solar wind strength, sun location, etc. Then one day you find out that these gamma ray detectors are affected by temperature, passing red trucks, CB radios. You have no idea how many of these detectors have been affected, or to what extent, as it differs in each location and from day to day. Then you find out that the guys in charge of collecting and tabulating these data have been changing data from decades before because they "know" the amount of gamma rays are increasing, so those old measurements must be flawed and therefore subject to "correction". See the problem? The methods you developed to measure particle decay were dependent on the historic data.

My argument is not that the data are wrong, it is that they are unreliable. And yes, a systematic bias can be accounted for, even mathematically reduced in effect. Both the NASA data massaging and the problems with measuring stations are not systematic in that they do not affect each datum in a formulaic manner. NASA's massaging can potentially be reversed, if a true and accurate historic record can be determined. But only an in-depth, honest investigation can determine the biases of the measuring stations. Right now the pro-CAGW crowd takes the position that since it is quite hard to do and the results without doing it match what we "know", therefore we conclude there is no significant problem. That's simply not true. I can best compare it to the way every experiment measuring the rate of the universe's contraction returned a deceleration. We knew the universe's expansion was decelerating because theory predicted and experiments proved it. Problem is, experiments that detected an acceleration were thrown out as unsuccessful. This may be the same. In science as in most things, if you know what you're going to see, that's generally what you'll see. Even repeatable experiments that go against accepted theory must be duplicated before being accepted.

Last edited:

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Another Amused anti global warming rant :eek:

What? Do you own stock in some carbon belching activities:)

Why do you want to kill ozones and starve puppies of oxygen? :biggrin: