NAS4Free on Intell ss4200e headless install

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
I picked up an Intel SS4200-e for free, It has 3, 1 terrabyte hard drives. It appears to have had a 4th in it. I cannot access it from the web interface, and the front light is flashing, telling me there is a boot error. Per the manual, it is trying to boot from the hard drives but because 1 is missing it cannot. I have installed NAS4Free on a usb stick, and followed the boot to USB Stick instructions, but I cannot access the set up via web interface. Now, installing a graphics card is not an option, and I really want to get this up and running so I can start myself a media server. . I love the small case and the fact that it can lay on its side. My laptop does not have a serial port so I can telnet in.
So is there a way I can access the set up and still keep this going.

Oh yeah this is a set up based on an intel celeron processor and 1 gig of ram.

Or should I just scrap the little NAS and re-purpose my Intel Quad core PC for this. I really want to use the NAS though.

Thanks in advanced for any and all help.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Reset button on the back should set the IP and password back to the default. The default IP address should presumably be DHCP, although that's admittedly not specified in their documentation.

I will say that it's not going to be a great NAS4Free box. You can probably get it to work, but that's not much CPU/RAM.