• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Nas vs USB external for periodic mirror backups

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
My budget and rest of home network isn't ready for the jump beyond Gbit ethernet, so I am thinking rather than adding one more NAS for periodic mirror backups of the NAS, which is where routine backup of the various systems will be, that I should pick up a suitably sized USB external drive and plug it directly into a NAS 3.0 USB for faster transfer.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Its funny, I will be going at both ends of the USB ext drive thing, first buying an external case from somebody on ebay that shucks drives, then later on, as you say when a sale hits, buying a unshucked ext drive, except I am thinking more like 10 to 12TB to manage both mirror and migration to larger drives on existing NAS units.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
My budget and rest of home network isn't ready for the jump beyond Gbit ethernet
Then wait for the sales on the WD or Seagate 5TBs of portable USB external drives for $100 and buy two. I've settled on a twice a year backup and rotate between two external USBs. One I label 1st half of the year, the other 2nd half.

ASK THE COMMUNITY