Went from turntables to MP3's
From Beat Street to commercials on Mickey D's
From gold cables to Jacob's
From plain facials to Botox and facelifts
I'm looking over my shoulder
It's about eighty *****s from my hood that showed up
And they came to show love
Sold out concert and the doors'll close shut

This is not the typical nas song... beat is very fast and nas's flow is crazy fast.. but I can dig the lyrics.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
OMG, rap is so ridiculous. I was hoping this thread would be about the impending death of rap music. Sigh, I can dream. This whole rap fad will die within 5 - 8 years I'm sure. Yo.

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
OMG, rap is so ridiculous. I was hoping this thread would be about the impending death of rap music. Sigh, I can dream. This whole rap fad will die within 5 - 8 years I'm sure. Yo.

hmmm, its been going 15 years strong and gaining popularity by the year. I dont think its going anywhere....

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Corporate Thug

hmmm, its been going 15 years strong and gaining popularity by the year. I dont think its going anywhere....

The problem with rap, it seems they are only trying to attract 14 year old white girls. Its rare to see 25+ person listening to rap. Its just... immature.

handoverfist

Golden Member
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Molondo

The problem with rap, it seems they are only trying to attract 14 year old white girls. Its rare to see 25+ person listening to rap. Its just... immature.

Immature to who.. you? Get off your high horse. Try listening to something they don't play on the radio...

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

Rap has been maligned with the truth that are the streets, intertwined and hidden within some beats, and just because the life you have lived has sheltered from the truth that these have had...

pray tell....doesn't mean that the true poets, the true masters, of their beats, of their truth that happens on their street, should be relegated to some fvking fad.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: handoverfist

Immature to who.. you? Get off your high horse. Try listening to something they don't play on the radio...

:thumbsup:

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: handoverfist

Don't like commercial.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
The beats are weak in this track. The sampling is weak. The chorus is weak. Meh.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Rap has been maligned with the truth that are the streets, intertwined and hidden within some beats, and just because the life you have lived has sheltered from the truth that these have had...

pray tell....doesn't mean that the true poets, the true masters, of their beats, of their truth that happens on their street, should be relegated to some fvking fad.

It is a fad. It's the modern disco. You have the silly clothes, funny looking dances and "exclusive" clubs. The major difference is that disco was relatively harmless apart from the drug scene. Hip hop/rap is distructive to society. It has spawned gangs and drug rings. It promotes violence and anarchy. And worst of all, it is targeted at young people (13 - 17) who are impressionable.

The faster this fad is done with, the better it will be for society. The hip hop culture disgusts me. I'm sick and tired of seeing 16 year old white males walking around with their pants around their knees and 2Pac t-shirts acting like they own the street. I'm sick of seeing 15 year old girls chasing after men with 22" chrome wheels desperate to be someones Ho because thats what all those cool music-video people do. But none of these things compare to the horrific violence that has much to do with the rap/hip hop scene. How often are hip hop stars involved in shootings? How many songs promote violence and shooting? These songs are aimed at impressionable young people. But the 55 year old white male fat-cats in the offices of the major music labels don't care - they are making a fortune from it. Fvck rap and fvck this fad.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
it kills me that will.i.am recycled the 'thiefs theme' iron butterfly sample. if he hadnt done that song i would be eating this up, but to reuse a beat from your last album... i mean ill stick check it out since im a huge fan, just a little disappointed thats all.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

Rap has been maligned with the truth that are the streets
Are you trying to say that we should embrace that lifestyle?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

It is a fad. It's the modern disco. You have the silly clothes, funny looking dances and "exclusive" clubs. The major difference is that disco was relatively harmless apart from the drug scene. Hip hop/rap is distructive to society. It has spawned gangs and drug rings. It promotes violence and anarchy. And worst of all, it is targeted at young people (13 - 17) who are impressionable.

The faster this fad is done with, the better it will be for society. The hip hop culture disgusts me. I'm sick and tired of seeing 16 year old white males walking around with their pants around their knees and 2Pac t-shirts acting like they own the street. I'm sick of seeing 15 year old girls chasing after men with 22" chrome wheels desperate to be someones Ho because thats what all those cool music-video people do. But none of these things compare to the horrific violence that has much to do with the rap/hip hop scene. How often are hip hop stars involved in shootings? How many songs promote violence and shooting? These songs are aimed at impressionable young people. But the 55 year old white male fat-cats in the offices of the major music labels don't care - they are making a fortune from it. Fvck rap and fvck this fad.

THAT'S NOT HIP HOP! Thats HIP POP. The commercial garbage. I totally agree with you on that genre of music.

But there's another genre of meaningful music, each verse is there for a reason to tell a story. Listen to some Jurassic 5 or Mos Def or Talib Kweli. You can't listen to that with an open mind and tell me its useless.

Also, what you refered to can also be applied to that genre of rock music where its essentially self-loathing about how crappy the their lives are, etc...

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Here's some verses from the song "Thin Line" by Jurassic 5 feat. Nelly Furtado. It's one of my favorite songs.

Yo, this is a lesson in friendship
The depths of a kinship
What women and men begin with, and then slip
My pen drips
As I scribble my thoughts on thin strips
Of emotion
A fraction, seduction, attraction
Eruption of passion
Corrupts if a lasted friendship's involved
But love to cross the line
But that's why we built these walls
An ongoing kinship, we was people to begin with
Disrespect was not intended
but your feelings sparked the sentence
Sometimes you're too intense in your quest to invent
The perfect man, please understand, my rhyme is your repent

Here's another song called "New World Water" by Mos Def. Its essentially a song about water and how we take it for granted while its scarce in some parts of the world.

Tell your crew use the H2 in wise amounts since
it's the New World Water; and every drop counts
You can laugh and take it as a joke if you wanna
But it don't rain for four weeks some summers
It's what they dress wounds and treat diseases with (Shout it out)
The rich and poor, black and white got need for it (That's right)
And everybody in the world can agree with this (Let em know)
Consumption promotes health and easiness (That's right)

I hope this opens your eye up on some of the real, meaningful rap music out there.

Apr 17, 2003

drugs were here well before rap and will be here after rap...as was gang violence.

Rap Artists are often related to shooting and what not because a lot of them came from the streets before they even knew how to rhyme. Its difficult for them to separate themselves from the life that they grew up in.

Just my .02 (yes, i know its not 50 cent, but it has to do)

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
Here's some verses from the song "Thin Line" by Jurassic 5 feat. Nelly Furtado. It's one of my favorite songs.

Yo, this is a lesson in friendship
The depths of a kinship
What women and men begin with, and then slip
My pen drips
As I scribble my thoughts on thin strips
Of emotion
A fraction, seduction, attraction
Eruption of passion
Corrupts if a lasted friendship's involved
But love to cross the line
But that's why we built these walls
An ongoing kinship, we was people to begin with
Disrespect was not intended
but your feelings sparked the sentence
Sometimes you're too intense in your quest to invent
The perfect man, please understand, my rhyme is your repent

Here's another song called "New World Water" by Mos Def. Its essentially a song about water and how we take it for granted while its scarce in some parts of the world.

Tell your crew use the H2 in wise amounts since
it's the New World Water; and every drop counts
You can laugh and take it as a joke if you wanna
But it don't rain for four weeks some summers
It's what they dress wounds and treat diseases with (Shout it out)
The rich and poor, black and white got need for it (That's right)
And everybody in the world can agree with this (Let em know)
Consumption promotes health and easiness (That's right)

I hope this opens your eye up on some of the real, meaningful rap music out there.

I know this may be "commercial" by AT standards, but this is just a fantastic song: Lupe fiasco - Hurt me Soul

Now i aint tryna be the greatest
I used to hate hip hop
Yep, because the women degraded
But Too Short made me laugh,
Like a hypocrit i played it
A hypocrit i state it
Though I only recited half
Omittin the word b*tch, cursin i wouldnt say it
Me and dawg couldnt relate to the b*tch that i dated
Forgive my favorite word for hers and hers alike
But i heard it from a song i heard and sorta liked
Yea, for the ice and glamourized drug dealin
Was appealin but the block club kept it from infront of our buildin
Gangsta rap base filmins became the buildin blocks for children
With leakin ceilins catchin drippens with pots
Couple word compositions from pac
Nas's it was written
In the mix with my realities, and feelins
Livin conditions, religion, ignorant wisdom
And artistic vision i began to jot
Tap the world and listen, it dropped:

My mom cant feed me
My boyfriend beats me
I have sex for money
The hood dont love me
The cops wanna kill me
This nonsense built me
And i got no place to go

They bomb my village
They call us killas
Took me off they wellfare
Cant afford they healthcare
My teacher wont teach me
My master beats me
And it hurts me soul

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Iron Butterfly are all rolling in their collective graves, and they are not even all there yet.