NAS has much higher write speeds than read speeds.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Western Digital My Cloud EX2, has a pair of 4TB drives not in RAID, just a single logical drive of 7.2 TB (after formatting). It can only read at about 5MB per second (based on transfers of large files from the NAS to my local computer) but for some strange reason when I move those same files back over they write at about 25 to 30 MB per second.
No idea why this is.

Have all the latest firmware for everything and theres no other issues on my network. Gigabit switch appears to be working fine, I can transfer to other wired computers quite fast. Internet benchmarks are good too, getting 65/45 from the ISP which is what I'm paying for.

If I cant improve this I'm thinking of using an old computer as a NAS, as soon as I free up some slots for more hard drives.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
That's horrifically slow in either direction. Admittedly that box isn't known for being fast but that's slow even for it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
See thats what I thought too but more than a few people have complained about low speeds and there doesnt seem to be an obvious solution to it.
The WD website just tells me to update the firmware and thats about all the help I get.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'd be returning that for a full refund if that's the perfirmance. That's atrocious.

Well, you are assuming the hardware is malfunctioning instead of trying to diagnose first.
Which is kinda why I posted here in the hardware section of the forums.

Is there a setting somewhere which could explain the low speeds and I'm missing it?

Feb 25, 2011
Sounds like your computer is defaulting back to its wifi card.

Could also be a bum cable. Sometimes they'll be good enough to establish a connection, but be bad enough to drop a ton of packets, slowing things down as your computer re-transmits everything.

Could also be a failing HDD - check SMART data on the NAS.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This has like a 1.3 ghz dual core processor and 1 gig of RAM. It is junk. This is my personal opinion. Maybe you have a better version, but if this is the case, what did you expect from a low end Celeron or Pentium CPU? A lower end CPU often has less cache size and less throughput. They make more powerful cell phones. The drives they put in these things are designed to run hotter and be passively cooled. A fan is suppose to turn on when they reach a certain threshold.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If it's a pair of 4TB drives not in RAID, how come after formatting it becomes 7.2TB?

It's either RAID 0 or JBOD.

Write speed a lot faster than read speed. That's weird. Maybe somehow the reading is through WiFi and writing is via ethernet?

===

Try this Network Meter to watch multiple NICs at the same time.

http://www.mitec.cz/netmet.html

Be sure to choose "Speed" option, not "Transfer"

NetMeter.png

===

Synology with x86 processor will be better option if you still want NAS.

Last edited:

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
This has like a 1.3 ghz dual core processor and 1 gig of RAM. It is junk. This is my personal opinion. Maybe you have a better version, but if this is the case, what did you expect from a low end Celeron or Pentium CPU? A lower end CPU often has less cache size and less throughput. They make more powerful cell phones. The drives they put in these things are designed to run hotter and be passively cooled. A fan is suppose to turn on when they reach a certain threshold.
It's a NAS not a PC. I'm not sure what kind of home/smb NAS you're comparing it to but it's well powered performance-wise for it's intended use. Reviews of this unit have it capable of transfering at 100Mb/sec, which is should be able to achieve at peak.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, I feel that there is definitely something wrong there. Either one of the HDDs is going (*or a bad connection), or there could be wifi somewhere in the loop.

Or, is this during the initial deferred RAID rebuild? Maybe it's just the overhead of that, that's causing the slow speeds? Can you login to the admin panel, is it still doing the RAID rebuild in the background?

Reactions: mxnerd

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Can you get rid of the single logical drive and break it up into two separate drives and then benchmark each one individually?

Reactions: mxnerd and Malogeek

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You might also find a utility that runs in the background that keeps all the files together. If they are spread out all over the place then you have to do a lot of reads to get all the data. Something like smart defrag. You may have a utility like that already.