Names of the Dead

Page 114 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The following American service personnel have given their lives for their country in the last two months:

Sgt. Michael C. Cable, 26, of Philpot, Ky., died March 27, from injuries sustained when his unit was attacked by enemy forces in Shinwar District, Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, Ky.

Chief Warrant Officer Curtis S. Reagan, 43, of Summerville, S.C., died March 29 in Kandahar, Afghanistan, from a non-combat related illness. He was assigned to the 603rd Aviation Support Battalion, 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield, Ga.

Capt. James Michael Steel, 29, of Tampa, Fla., died April 3 in the crash of an F-16 near Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 77th Fighter Squadron, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.

Staff Sgt. Christopher M. Ward, 24, of Oak Ridge, Tenn., Spc. Wilbel A. Robles-Santa, 25, of Juncos, Puerto Rico, and Spc. Delfin M. Santos Jr., 24, of San Jose, Calif. died April 6 in Kandahar, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their unit in Zabul, Afghanistan with a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device. They were assigned to the 5th Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Armor Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga.

Chief Warrant Officer Matthew P. Ruffner, 34, of Tafford, Pa., and Chief Warrant Officer Jarett M. Yoder, 26, of Mohnton, Pa. died April 9, in Pachir Wa Agam District, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan. They were assigned to the1st Attack Reconnaissance Battalion, 104th Aviation Regiment, 28th Combat Aviation Brigade, 28th Infantry Division, Fort Indiantown Gap, Pa.

Pfc. Barrett L. Austin, 20, of Easley, S.C., died April 21 in Landstuhl, Germany, of injuries sustained when his vehicle was attacked by an enemy improvised explosive device in Wardak Province, Afghanistan, April 17. He was assigned to the 4th Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga.

Spc. Cody D. Suggs, 22, of West Alexandria, Ohio, died March 7 at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, as a result of a non-combat incident that remains under investigation. He was assigned to the 1487th Transportation Company (Piqua, Ohio), which is part of the 371st Sustainment Brigade (Springfield, Ohio).

Tech. Sgt. Larry D. Bunn, 43, of Bossier City, La., died March 7 as a result of a non-combat incident at an undisclosed base in Southwest Asia. He was assigned to the 307th Maintenance Squadron, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.

Chief Petty Officer Christian Michael Pike, 31, of Peoria, Ariz., died March 13 in Landstuhl, Germany, as a result of combat-related injuries sustained on March 10 while conducting stability operations in Maiwand District, Afghanistan. Pike was assigned to a West Coast-based Naval Special Warfare unit.

Spc. David T. Proctor, 26, of Greensboro, N.C., died March 13, at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Md., from injuries sustained during a non-combat incident on March 3, in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment, 1st Armor Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga.

he following service personnel died March 11, in Kandahar, Afghanistan. The incident is under investigation. Killed were:

Staff Sgt. Steven P. Blass, 27, of Estherville, Iowa and Chief Warrant Officer Bryan J. Henderson, 27, of Franklin, La. They were assigned to the 4th Battalion, 3rd Aviation Regiment, 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Hunter Army Airfield, Ga.

Capt. Sara M. Knutson, 27, of Eldersburg, Md. She was assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Hunter Army Airfield, Ga.

Staff Sgt. Marc A. Scialdo, 31, of Naples, Fla. He was assigned to the 603rd Aviation Support Battalion, 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Hunter Army Airfield, Ga.

Chief Warrant Officer James E. Groves III, 37, of Kettering, Ohio, died March 16 in Kandahar, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division Hunter Army Airfield, Ga. This incident is under investigation.

Sgt. 1st Class James F. Grissom, 31, of Hayward, Calif., died March 21 at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany, of wounds suffered from small arms fire March 18 in Paktika Province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 4th Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.

Sgt. Tristan M. Wade, 23, of Indianapolis, Ind., died March 22 in Qarah Bagh District, Ghazni Province, Afghanistan, when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 573rd Clearance Company, 2nd Engineer Battalion, White Sands Missile Range, N.M.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of the following soldiers and airmen recently:

Capt. Aaron R. Blanchard, 32, of Selah, Wash., and

1st Lt. Robert J. Hess, 26, of Fairfax, Va.

Died April 23, in Pul-E-Alam, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered from enemy indirect fire. The soldiers were assigned to the 2nd Aviation Battalion, 10th Combat Aviation Brigade, 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, N.Y.

Capt. Brandon L. Cyr, 28, of Woodbridge, Va., assigned to the 906th Air Refueling Squadron, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.

Capt. Reid K. Nishizuka, 30, of Kailua, Hawaii, assigned to the 427th Reconnaissance Squadron, Beale Air Force Base, Calif.

Staff Sgt. Richard A. Dickson, 24, of Rancho Cordova, Calif, assigned to the 306th Intelligence Squadron, Beale Air Force Base, Calif.

and Staff Sgt. Daniel N. Fannin, 30, of Morehead, Ky. , assigned to the 552nd Operations Support Squadron, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.

Died April 27, near Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, in the crash of an MC-12 aircraft. The cause of the crash is under investigation, however initial reporting indicates there was no enemy activity in the area at the time of the crash.

Staff Sgt. Michael H. Simpson, 30, of San Antonio, Texas, died May 1 in Landstuhl, Germany, of wounds sustained when insurgents attacked his unit on April 27, with an improvised explosive device in Arian, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 4th Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.

Spc. Trinidad Santiago Jr., 25, of San Diego, Calif., and

Pfc. Charles P. McClure, 21, of Stratford, Okla.

Died May 2, in Camp Buehring, Kuwait, of injuries sustained in a vehicle accident. They were assigned to 4th Battalion, 42nd Field Artillery Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of the following soldiers and airmen recently:

Staff Sgt. Eric D. Christian, 39, of Warwick, N.Y., and

Cpl. David M. Sonka, 23, of Parker, Colo.

They died May 4, while conducting combat operations in Farah province, Afghanistan. They were both assigned to 2nd Marine Special Operations Battalion, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

1stLt. Brandon J. Landrum, 26, of Lawton, Okla.,

Staff Sgt. Francis G. Phillips IV, 28, of Meridian, N.Y.,

Spc. Kevin Cardoza, 19, of Mercedes, Texas,

Spc. Thomas P. Murach, 22, of Meridian, Idaho, and

Spc. Brandon J. Prescott, 24, of Bend, Ore.

They died May 4, in Maiwand, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained when their vehicle was attacked by an enemy improvised explosive device. The soldiers were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 36thInfantry, 1stBrigade Combat Team, 1stArmored Division, Fort Bliss, Texas.

Capt. Mark T. Voss, 27, of Colorado Springs, Colo.,

Capt. Victoria A. Pinckney, 27, of Palmdale, Calif., and

Tech Sgt. Herman Mackey III, 30, of Bakersfield, Calif.

They died May 3, near Chon-Aryk, Kyrgyzstan, in the crash of a KC-135 aircraft. The airmen were assigned to the 93rd Air Refueling Squadron, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
DUPONT, Kevin A., 52, Sgt. First Class, Army; Templeton, Mass.; 79th Troop Command

rose.gif

It's been almost 4 years. I'll be thinking of you.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Staff Sgt. Louis F. Cardin, a 27-year-old field artilleryman with Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines, was killed at about 9 a.m. Saturday when Islamic State group militants launched a rocket attack on a coalition base in Makhmur. Eight other Marines were injured in the attack on the newly established base, which is roughly 60 miles outside of Mosul.
Cardin was deployed with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which sent a detachment of Marines to Makhmur to guard the base. The Marines were supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the U.S. military's campaign against ISIS.

Honor the Fallen

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
my dad, James William Price
March 7 1925 - august 24, 20016 (91)
was a radio operator in the army air corp/air force, did weather recon(flying into hurricanes)

Reactions: skyking

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Sadly I have missed a few names this month on here, I honestly forgot this thread was here. Been out of town a month and side tracked. I didn't see Gunny Holley's name, so I will add it. He was EOD in the Marine Corps with me, we were in 3/1 at the time. Southern Helmand Province, which had a terrible August in 2010. At the time, the bloodiest month ever in Afghan. He was a bad ass dude, whos wife was pregnant with their boy at the time of his death.

2ypi16w.jpg

vqk45e.jpg

wso9xc.jpg

Hes far right of the last pic, I am middle. Found an IED making facility, dug up everything and blew it up. 550lb explosion was a sight to see. But this man saved untold lives with a simple invention, the Holley stick. The Marine Corps sent us out with a metal detector, with no GPR. The thing was the only thing that it would pick up on an IED was the batteries, which were 99% of the time dozens of feet away connected by wires that also wouldn't get detected. So you could sweep directly over a pressure plate with the charge under it and not get any hit. No warning whatsoever. Lots of people died obviously because we were using the only tool we had other than observation of the ground with our eyes. Sucks knowing that any step could literally be your last and you couldn't do anything about it. So before one big op, he thought about attacking a sickle to a stick, used to scrape the ground towards you to pull up the wires that we couldn't see. It was painfully slow but worked wonderfully. Saved our asses on that op, we found so many IED's. The BC spoke to use before we took off, he was honest and said he expected a 40% causality rate. There as 26 of us on the initial push for the first 24 hours. Because of how we trained, but more specifically because of the Holley stick nobody died the first day. We used it the rest of our deployment, then the Marine Corps actually started making them to look for IED's and not just make shift like we did. Anyways, man saved lives, and I'm rambling now. I know for fact I wouldn't be here without him.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Sgt Wade Wilson. Died this day 2012 in Afghanistan. Marine I served with in Afghanistan, died protecting his brothers. Silver Star recipient, and good friend. I'll not post more pics or long stories. He's missed.

Edit, posting pic anyways. Proud to have served with him. His KIA date tattoo'd on me.
xojtao.jpg

Last edited:

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
I'm from Europe.. to all who gave their life to defend our freedom.. RIP

PS. If Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) runs in 2020 for president, you should really vote for her. She is an Iraq veteran and maybe the only one who sincerely cares about the lives of soldiers and veterans. She is against more interventionist wars. Perhaps you can write her and ask to run in 2020 as she still hasn't decided yet.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I want to acknowledge the siblings of those lost to combat. I only recently became aware of a growing epidemic of substance abuse and suicide amongst the siblings who often have to bear the burden of both simultaneously mourning and staying strong for parents and other family members.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
This thread was not the place for your sentiments.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator: