Name your internet surfing irritations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I really hate the new "enhanced" title tags for links that show a preview window of the URL. They're especially bad if they don't auto-close and require you to click "close" or "x".

Rachael

Mar 16, 2006
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I really hate the new "enhanced" title tags for links that show a preview window of the URL. They're especially bad if they don't auto-close and require you to click "close" or "x".

Agreed. These are awful.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Rachael
Originally posted by: joshsquall

Agreed. These are awful.

Or the randomly highlighted words in an article that pop up an advertisement when you pass your mouse over them.

Another one that bugs me are the pages that have a search based on "double clicked" text. I am a horrible fidgeter when browsing web pages. I'm bouncing the cursor all over and I highlight and double click on words. Some pages have coding that pull up a search box on words that you double click on. In my click happy nature I usually end up getting flung over to some other search engine or an advertisement site.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Doing a google search and having to wade through typically 2 full pages of paid advertising before I find something even remotely relevant to my query.

people that fail ate googling are my greatest irritation.

Lets see YOU attempt to find accurate descriptions of a CISCO Sup3 Card's portfast restrictions on the first page.

Some of us don't use Google as a resource to find "local easy sluts". Ignorant jackass.

:light:

<<< googles easy portfast cisco sluts

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Doing a google search and having to wade through typically 2 full pages of paid advertising before I find something even remotely relevant to my query.

people that fail ate googling are my greatest irritation.

Oh come on man. There is no way that you can say this is not annoying. There are ways for an experienced Google user to reduce this issue, but avoiding it entirely is something no one can do and it is very obnoxious. Especially when your reason for using Google is to find information needed to do your job. Time = money and filtering through all of that garbage costs you a lot of time once you add it all up.

But he's wrong, the first 2 pages are all natural search results, the only paid advertising is at the top and on the right, and is very clearly called out from the organic results. Fail at Google +1

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
When the browser hangs for 10-15 seconds before displaying a web page because it's busy contacting an ad server.

Though that does give me time to note the server name and add it to my HOSTS file blacklist.

I've been to sites which fail to load when NoScript block the flash ads.

I never visit those sites again.

Feb 10, 2000
My most frequent irritation is how badly and slowly myspace works. I don't really use it myself but have to in order to keep up with some friends. It's slow as hell, counter-intuitive in operation, and my username/password cookie never seems to work right.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Sites that directly copy and reformat (if you're lucky) the content of other sites without noting that the content is stolen. They sound innocuous but when you do a search for something and every 3rd site in the result is just a literal copy and paste of wikipedia, then hulk smash.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
My #1 irritation is sites that play background music. Nothing's worse than opening 10 tabs at about the same, time, then having to figure out which tab to close when some horrible music starts playing.

However, that doesn't happen to frequently any more. So, I'm going to have to go with pop-up ads that have to be manually closed to get them out of the way of what you're viewing. (Especially those mouse-over pop-ups.)

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: DrPizza
My #1 irritation is sites that play background music. Nothing's worse than opening 10 tabs at about the same, time, then having to figure out which tab to close when some horrible music starts playing.

However, that doesn't happen to frequently any more. So, I'm going to have to go with pop-up ads that have to be manually closed to get them out of the way of what you're viewing. (Especially those mouse-over pop-ups.)

At least the autoplay music sites die off eventually from lack of visitors.

I hate looking for info on a specific thing ( usually a semiconductor ) and only finding sites that just say 'we have what you're looking for in stock' with tables and tables of part numbers. Or sites masquerading as search engines when they're just advertising sites. Like scrolling through 2 pages of ads only to find at the bottom 'no results found'.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
My #1 used to be pages that resized my browser, but it's not so bad now that I installed Firesizer.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: amdhunter
Gay threads like this one irritate me.

I didn't know that a thread could have a sexual preference or an emotion. Hurr dee hurr.

It's more than a "preference" or "emotion", threads have no control over the way they are, otherwise there would BE no gay threads. Why would a thread choose to be gay and face so much opposition?

Bigot.

:evil:

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Sites that go overboard on advertising. Not saying that there should be none - but how much before viewers are driven away.

ex. - msnbc video viewer almost always has a 30 second ad before each video. 5-10 seconds is plenty. I don't visit there much anymore.