Name some of the worst recent trades in Baseball

Jul 12, 2001
2000- New York Mets send Melvin Mora (who leads the AL in hitting and plays almost every position) + 2 others to the Orioles for Mike Bordick who hit around .200 or under in the playoffs for the Mets and left the team after 2 months

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
That's nothing. Ever heard of the Brewers? Every time they get a good guy (usually one per year) they trade him away and bring in some other loser.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Define "recent". Worst trades involving currently active players:

John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander

Sammy Sosa and Wilson Alvarez for Harold Baines (and somebody else)

Curt Schilling and Steve Finley for Glenn Davis

Allaamu

Apr 15, 2003
When the Dodgers had Ramon and Pedro Martinez. Of course, they kept the wrong Martinez who blew out his shoulder and is no longer in the the MLB.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
The Yankees were supposed to acquire Curt Schilling but signed Denny Neagle instead...

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Allaamu
When the Dodgers had Ramon and Pedro Martinez. Of course, they kept the wrong Martinez who blew out his shoulder and is no longer in the the MLB.

I shudder to think of that one. They traded Pedro for Delino Deshields :( (who I thought was a pretty good 2nd baseman but come ON!!!)

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Allaamu
Didn't Neagle win a championship ring with the Yankees?

And Schilling was a driving factor in winning the World Series...

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Roger Clemens for Homer Bush(no longer in the MLB), David Wells(now a teammate), and Gram(sp?) Lloyd now with the Expos?

Edit
Corrected by Kev in his post below :).

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Frank (yelling): What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!? He had 30 home runs, over 100 RBIs last year, he's got a rocket for an arm, you don't know what the hell you're doin'!!

Steinbrenner: Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people love Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying 'Ken Phelps , Ken Phelps'.

Lager

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Jim Edmonds for some one I forgot.

Greg Maddux traded by Cubs for someone I forgot. (Hopefully won't trade Mark Prior away)

Richie Sexson for whoever by Indians.

mjquilly

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: coldcut
Jim Edmonds for some one I forgot.

Greg Maddux traded by Cubs for someone I forgot. (Hopefully won't trade Mark Prior away)

Richie Sexson for whoever by Indians.

the Edmonds trade was for Ken Bottenfield and Adam Kennedy

And I think the Indians got a better deal in that trade for Sexson - Wickman is an awesome closer (although he's been hurt) - Sexson strikes out WAY too much.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
ANYTHING pertaining the the Mets!!!
Where do I start?

Acquiring Bonilla, Cedeno, Sanchez...

Losing Ventura, Olerud, Jeff Kent, Alfonso...

The one deal I like so far is Cliff Floyd.

Oh wait, none of those were trades :eek:

Kilrsat

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
That's nothing. Ever heard of the Brewers? Every time they get a good guy (usually one per year) they trade him away and bring in some other loser.

I have to second the motion for any trade involving the Brewers in the last 10 years. They've managed to become a farm club for every team in baseball.

Novgrod

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2001
haha the only reason the brewers are the farm system for other teams is that they don't have a farm system of their own, so i can't feel too sorry for them.

PS: i hate you, bud selig.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
The Indians have been on both sides of this one quite a bit in the last decade:

in the early 90's, the Indians acquired Kenny Lofton for C Eddie Taubensee

The Indians traded Brian Giles for Ricardo Rincon

They picked up Omar Vizquel for Felix Fermin

They traded Danny Graves, among other players, for John Smiley, who broke his arm and never pitched again..

They traded Sean Casey for Dave Burba

They acquired Jody Gerut and Josh Bard, two of their current starters, for Jacob Cruz, who is out of baseball.

Allaamu

Apr 15, 2003
K. Millwood was traded for financial reasons. He had a no hitter sometime ago. Brave's lost a some old arms like Glavine to Mets this year because of the same reasons.

Come to think of it, most moves are made because of money, small markets, etc. You get a good farm player, grow him to he's big league, watch him do well, and then lose him because he wants A-Rod type of money.