Name some healthy DELI meats for a healthy sandwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Hey there,

I want to make some healthy sandwiches to go especially when in an area where eating healthy is not an option.

Going to the DELI at the supermarket but there are soooooooooooo many darn choices of different meats to pick from.

So what do you guys pick for a healthy sandwich?

My first guess would be smoked turkey breast?

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
The thing you have to watch out for with deli meats (which I love, so I'm guilty of this myself) is that they have a lot of sodium. I mean a LOT. Seriously, check the labels sometime.

Beyond that, many are generally very lean (e.g., turkey, ham, roast beef). The ones that can quickly add large amounts of fat into your diet would be salami, pepperoni, bologna, and perhaps a few others.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The thing you have to watch out for with deli meats (which I love, so I'm guilty of this myself) is that they have a lot of sodium. I mean a LOT. Seriously, check the labels sometime.

Beyond that, many are generally very lean (e.g., turkey, ham, roast beef). The ones that can quickly add large amounts of fat into your diet would be salami, pepperoni, bologna, and perhaps a few others.

QFT. Just on Wendy's 'healthy' salads with Chicken and no dressing my Blood Pressure got affected with the amount of sodium.

There are a few good deli selections. For the past few years the pricing on them have been brain damage over lesser meats.

This time of year you can really profit by buying whole hams, turkeys, etc the day after the holiday. Cook them up and slice, freeze, profit!.

Also for sandwiches, bread choice is a big range of choice.

Mostly if I eat a sandwich lately and I do often, it's two lean chicken burgers on top of one bun with lettuce, tomato, and crushed hot pepper.

Mar 22, 2002
To be perfectly honest, there isn't exactly a healthy deli meat. They're pretty highly processed, high in sodium and nitrates, and pumped with a bunch of junk that's not necessary. If I'm gonna eat a sandwich, I try to use something like egg salad, chicken salad, homemade thin-slices roast beef, etc. The trick is to make it on the weekends and its a quick throw-together lunch mid week. I'm not sure if this helps, but I thought I'd give some input.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
ANY fast food joint (that I have been too) cannot make something healthy. They may ADVERTISE this, but if you look at the details they are not. Just trying another way to get business.

Just look at Subway. They advertise very low numbers, partly because they give you less meat than any other sub shop I have been to, and partly because when you get to the toppings they screw you.

If I remember correctly, Dietz and Watson does pretty well, and so does Boar's Head. As you said, I agree turkey is the best, but gets a bit worse as you add in different flavors.

Keep bread in mind too.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
To be perfectly honest, there isn't exactly a healthy deli meat. They're pretty highly processed, high in sodium and nitrates, and pumped with a bunch of junk that's not necessary. If I'm gonna eat a sandwich, I try to use something like egg salad, chicken salad, homemade thin-slices roast beef, etc. The trick is to make it on the weekends and its a quick throw-together lunch mid week. I'm not sure if this helps, but I thought I'd give some input.

definitely. Soon I have to do this myself with my divorce finalizing soon. My wife loves to cook and prepare things so I just gave her what I need to eat each week and it whole miraculously appear in a Bento Box :)

I may hire a college student to make me meals, clean the house and take care of the cats in return for $100-200 for a room and just them buying their own food/drinks; I will supply any water.

I really don't want someone living here, but I don't want to give away all the pets.

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
Supermarket deli, an IGA actually, Whole Grain bagel, tomato, two thin slices of cheese (low sodium if possible, ie you can stand it), two slices of ham (I like Kraukus, to each his own , IGA budget is fine).
Means carrying a swiss army knife or equivalent to slicee the tomato, and learning to pick the perfect size and ripeness.
Usually "I'm on a diet" gets you thru, the cheese replaces mayonaise, the over stuffing is tomato, the ham and cheese salt flavors the tomato.
I've been known to carry my own rye or 100% whole grain Bread. You can carry your own lettuce if you carry bread (and include onion or peppers).

A thermos will carry a pressure cooked mostly carrot and onion stew (a little beef, potato for flavor).

Cucumber sandwiches also make delicious light meal, potuguese roll, a couple mayo packets and a cucumber.

Last edited:

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
Prefer this stores bagels to rolls, though the rolls are good.
A folding knife with a stainless steel blade is the easiest way to slice a tomato.
One of the simple few blades Swiss Army knives (I think they still make them) is a good folding knife, and most people regard one as a tool rather than a weapon. Easy to clean, if you are careful.
I dislike trying to use plastic utencils on tomatoes or cucumbers, or slicing a roll.

Mar 22, 2002
Prefer this stores bagels to rolls, though the rolls are good.
A folding knife with a stainless steel blade is the easiest way to slice a tomato.
One of the simple few blades Swiss Army knives (I think they still make them) is a good folding knife, and most people regard one as a tool rather than a weapon. Easy to clean, if you are careful.
I dislike trying to use plastic utencils on tomatoes or cucumbers, or slicing a roll.

Er, unless you're doing some serious endurance work, bagels are terrible for you - super high calorie, almost all starchy carbs without fiber.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Er, unless you're doing some serious endurance work, bagels are terrible for you - super high calorie, almost all starchy carbs without fiber.

OH crap!! I forgot about the bread:(

I guess that is a whole other can of worms right there research wise. Maybe some wheat pita wraps might do as well.

Kind of mind boggling when you have a zillion choices of breads, pitas, rolls, etc. and companies trying to deceive you into thinking you are eating healthy. I know, check the ingredient labels...lol!

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Whole Foods sells an In-House Oven Roasted Turkey breast, which is just a regular, roasted turkey with the meat cut from it. I'm pretty sure it's not processed since it tastes more on the bland side and looks just like turkey sliced from a Thanksgiving turkey, but thinner sliced. There's even bits of skin and fat.

I usually buy their Applegate brand ham, though. But I don't make sandwiches with it. I just roll it up and eat it with some grape tomatoes. Sometimes I put mayo in there.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Whole Foods sells an In-House Oven Roasted Turkey breast, which is just a regular, roasted turkey with the meat cut from it. I'm pretty sure it's not processed since it tastes more on the bland side and looks just like turkey sliced from a Thanksgiving turkey, but thinner sliced. There's even bits of skin and fat.

I usually buy their Applegate brand ham, though. But I don't make sandwiches with it. I just roll it up and eat it with some grape tomatoes. Sometimes I put mayo in there.

As a late 20 / early 30 something my favorite lunches were meat slices, rolled in cheese and some veggie then nuked in a microwave.

MrA79

Aug 11, 2012
As a late 20 / early 30 something my favorite lunches were meat slices, rolled in cheese and some veggie then nuked in a microwave.

Hell I still do that - roll up some grilled chicken or turkey in a slice of cheese, add a touch of mayo and nom down.

Status
Not open for further replies.