Name one major game you didn't enjoy!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I saw somebody mentioned Max Payne. Yeah, that series was way over-rated. OOO bullet time! I didn't find the story line compelling either. Also, it played likea console game more than like a PC game.

I played the Halo demo and it was way dull.

The Witcher demo was bad too.

Counterstrike is overrated.

NOLF2 got great reviews, but the game itself was no where near as good as NOLF1. NOLF2 had nice graphics for the time, and actually still looks pretty good today, but the writing that made NOLF1 so funny and enjoyable was lacking in NOLF2. I played 2 just to get through it. MP was horrible for N2 also.

SOF games also were boring to me.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Oh yeah, how could i forget:

COD2. I loved/love COD1 and still play COD1 MP to this day. COD was a major disappointment though. It felt so "arcady" after the gritty feel of COD1. And that stupid health system. It is bad enough in other games, including COD1, that a bandage or med kit can make your "health" increase and somehow heal up that vital organ damage and internal bleeding, but much worse is the COD2 system where all you have to do is go rest somewhere for a couple of seconds and that bullet lodged in your liver pops right out, and you are as good as new!!

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Originally posted by: SphinxnihpS
In the last 7 years I have liked:

Day of Defeat (not source garbage, in fact the older the better)
Max Payne
Team Fortress 2
Psychonaughts

I think you might want to re-read the subject

I think by saying that for the past 7 years I have only really liked those 4 games, means that you can pretty much name any "major" game, and I am likely not to have liked it. Isn't efficiancy grand? So is reading COMPREHENSION.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
In the last 7 years I have liked:

Day of Defeat (not source garbage, in fact the older the better)
Max Payne
Team Fortress 2
Psychonaughts

I think you might want to re-read the subject

I think by saying that for the past 7 years I have only really liked those 4 games, means that you can pretty much name any "major" game, and I am likely not to have liked it. Isn't efficiancy grand? So is reading COMPREHENSION.

Perhaps if you had indicated in your OP that these were the ONLY games you liked in the last 7 years, as opposed to what could easily be construed as a partial list of games you liked, then the inference that you did not like anything else could be drawn. Reading comprehension is greatly aided by clarity in writing; ambiguities breed confusion.

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
GTA series from 3 up. never could get into them. but ill play the next one anyway.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Unreal Tournament - No single player, and it never had good mods like team fortress or counter-strike.

Doom 3 - None of the weapons are usable if the monster is more than 10 steps away.

Quake Wars - Worst netcode ever. Move from behind a building to shoot a rocket, then you die because the server didn't acknowledge your movement so it thinks you shot a rocket into the side of the building. BF1942 actually looks well-made by comparison.

Half-Life 2 - Let's make a game where 90% of it is driving a go kart and pretending the sand is hot lava. Also too many head crabs, which are the most annoying monsters I have ever seen.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
Half-Life 2 - Let's make a game where 90% of it is driving a go kart and pretending the sand is hot lava. Also too many head crabs, which are the most annoying monsters I have ever seen.

lol pretending the sand is hot lava :p

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
WoW or any mmorpg - too cheap to pay $10+ every month to play it
Supreme Commander - I don't want to control icons
Age of Empire series
The Sims series - I can barely run my own life
Farcry
No One Live Forever
Halo - Just like any other PC shooter
Oblivion
Unreal Tournament series - except the 1st UT
Batterfield series
Psychonaut

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
too many games to mention i didnt like at all...

let me think....

well.... Tabula Rasa was a whole let down....

WoW, Bioshock, Doom, Half-Life 1, Empire at War, and so on... too many games I think are the major game i didnt enjoy to mention... too much to remember right now...

OH... I didnt like that much sins of solar empire.... is good but not that great.. that game lacks those majestic battles and the feeling of something amazing... is like playing something that put you in the climax of a galactic empire.. but leave you sorta empty... and it didnt look that amazing compared to homeworld 2 in what means the gameplay of the space battles... SOSE is kinda laid back... The ships doesnt look that alive in movement, and no involvement or use of the Z axis... omg.... modern space game with no use of the Z axis... and also the common known issues of the game... like silly diplomacy and such... is like an overhyped games.... (the hype of a masterpiece in a one of the bunch game)...

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: potato28
TF2 unfortunately is one game I don't really enjoy too much. Gets to repetitive and I just don't really wanna spend the time to get better with the classes.

I bought it last weekend on sale. Graphics and characters are all fun... but just don't like the game play.

I also bought red orchestra off steam and played it for about 30 minutes. I eventually uninstalled it.

After TF2 I will not buy any more games off of steam. At least with the box I can trade or sell.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
Originally posted by: rudder
TF2 unfortunately is one game I don't really enjoy too much. Gets to repetitive and I just don't really wanna spend the time to get better with the classes.

I bought it last weekend on sale. Graphics and characters are all fun... but just don't like the game play.

I also bought red orchestra off steam and played it for about 30 minutes. I eventually uninstalled it.

After TF2 I will not buy any more games off of steam. At least with the box I can trade or sell.

hm... good point... sell it away if you dont like it... ebay????

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003

Make sure any box games you buy are not also available on Steam. If you install Half-Life 2 from a DVD, it's still bound to your account and you can't give it away. Same with Lost Planet. Quake Wars is available on Steam but it doesn't tie itself to Steam, so I'm not really sure how you're supposed to figure out which ones will and which will not.

edit: Quake Wars requires an online account through another service, so I guess you can't give that one away either.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
that suck then... you get it boxed.. but is for nothing.. lol... stupid steam... i never like it that much, the good news is that I am not the one with the steam problem WOO HOO!!!!!

also, some other games use gamespy like Unreal Tournament III... I guess steam isnt the only troublesome for boxes... Now I wonder if one day the cars will be the same.. you buy a car and you create a steam account and you log in and so on with your fingerprint lol.... no way to sell the car... uber lol

Wurmer

Aug 8, 2007
Contrary to many here, I certainly enjoyed Diablo 2 and LOD but it's getting old now.

Game I didn't enjoy, WC3. I bought it, played it like 2 hours and got bored. Been there done that.

I hate FPS game in general, too many of them for my taste in the gaming industry.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
Originally posted by: Wurmer
Contrary to many here, I certainly enjoyed Diablo 2 and LOD but it's getting old now.

Game I didn't enjoy, WC3. I bought it, played it like 2 hours and got bored. Been there done that.

I hate FPS game in general, too many of them for my taste in the gaming industry.

only fps i think it rocks are the Unreal Tournaments...

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I'm guessing there's a lot of impatient people out there... I actually liked Stalker, Oblivion, Bioshock, and COD4. The one game I really hated was MOH:Airborne - it just felt like a direct console port, with all the annoying limitations that are inherited as a result.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005

I don't understand how they can actually sell so many crappy HL2 mod-games over Steam. So many of them are just regurgitated crap with different skins and different scenario, but play the exact same as HL2. Well, not so many, but some of them.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I really didn't care for 'Gears of War.' They should have named it 'Roids of Rage.'

Just about the goofiest game I've played in years.....

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
WoW for sure.

Devistation- I played the MP demo and likes it. When I bought the actual game- yuk!

Darklife

Mar 11, 2008
Originally posted by: spittledip

I don't understand how they can actually sell so many crappy HL2 mod-games over Steam. So many of them are just regurgitated crap with different skins and different scenario, but play the exact same as HL2. Well, not so many, but some of them.

If you're referring to Red Orchestra then actually it is by no means a HL2 mod. It's based on the Unreal Engine and the gameplay is vastly different from HL2/

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
STALKER!!

Although someone mentioned I should get a few mods and try it again. I got frustrated at certain points (picking up things, walking around).. I'll giveit a shot again later

Wolfstan

Oct 8, 2005
As much as I want to post the dozens of games I bought in the last 10 years that really dissapointed me. But, the OP said one major hit, so I'd have to say... FarCry.

That game is the epitome of the [GRAPHICS > GAMEPLAY LOL] trend. The gameplay was so mindblowingly bad, I could not beleive many of my fellow gamers actually found it to be a gold standard in FPS. And I did play through it. Start to finish, there wasn't one thing I liked about it... except the graphics.