Name a technology you'd like to see in the near future

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Batteries that don't leak and destroy my stuff.

eWlBfdm.jpg

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Breakfast cereal bags with zip lock closures.
Same for bags of chips, cookies, and other snack food.

Eliminate the warning about how to get out of full screen mode on Youtube and similar. If you get stuck in full screen mode, you deserve to remain stuck there.

Reactions: Kaido

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Breakfast cereal bags with zip lock closures.
Same for bags of chips, cookies, and other snack food.
I use an impulse sealer :cool:

Eliminate the warning about how to get out of full screen mode on Youtube and similar. If you get stuck in full screen mode, you deserve to remain stuck there.
Pretty sure Chrome lets you eliminate the warning for the whole youtube.com domain in one click. Which browser do you use?

May 11, 2008
I use an impulse sealer :cool:

Pretty sure Chrome lets you eliminate the warning for the whole youtube.com domain in one click. Which browser do you use?

Is there such a button for firefox as well ?

edit:

I searched it.
type about:config in adress bar.
search for : full-screen-api.warning.timeout
set to : 0.
Happy.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
A battery tech that is as high density as fossil fuel with little to no self discharge that can be used for short term and long term storage. Ex: it can be left at half charge for years without being a problem. This would be good for grid level battery storage where you could charge it with renewable energy that is not predictable and it would act as a long term "capacitor" to smooth out the ups and downs of solar/wind generation, as well as grid demand.

Something like this would not only be good for grid, but for vehicles too. Perhaps even airplanes. The biggest drawback to renewable sources is the unpredictability, so the answer is a storage tech like this to deal with the ups and downs. You would have these batteries all over the grid along with renewable energy plants and together they would provide enough power at any time whether it's sunny/windy or not. If the batteries are running too low then you could fire up the nuke plants. You'd do this when there is less than a week worth of charge left in the batteries, for example.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Gravity blocker - Some sort of electro, mechanical, chemical device that cancels gravity that is adjustable.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
A space propulsion tech that does not involve expelling matter (fuel, exhaust etc) would be quite something. Basically a working EM drive would be a pretty big breakthrough in space travel. or even satellites. No need to carry fuel, which is finite.

Actually I wonder if they do any rendez-vous missions with satellites now days to refuel them, seems that would be cheaper than letting them die when they run out of fuel. With all the stuff in space they have to do more collision avoidance maneuvers now days so they use more fuel.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I would like to see an invention that allows me to put my fist through a monitor and punch a troll/spammer in the face.

Reactions: Thebobo

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
No one here will say it but I'm going to state what I know we all really want, and need: Drip dry assless chaps.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
Female clones that deteriorate after 24 hours that are only programmed to have sex with you.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I just wish assless chaps would be a real thing in the future. All my chaps have asses :(
I have a couple pair of chaps, both sans ass. They might even be drip dry. You know, I've seen that phrase forever, but thinking about it now, isn't everything drip dry?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would love to have a car that could drive itself. No more issues with traffic jams, just sit back and watch a movie.

Or better yet how about teleportation, instead of a hour and a half commute to the office, just step in a teleportation chamber and get to work in .087 seconds.
Self driving cars are all but here, my next car is apt to do that. I may have better things to do than watch a movie while being transported, speaking for myself.

Teleportation? You've been watching too much TV. Try telecommuting, that's what you're really dreaming about.