Name a few good non-violent games from the last 10 years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I love how some ppl are so de sensitized and don't know violence if it hits them in the face.

anyway here are few games.

Simulation games (driving, flying): GT4~5, Dirt, GTR2 etc etc.
Puzzle games: pop cap games. qwop.
Music games: rockband?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I've played a lot of the games suggested already, like Puzzlequest (which is great), Peggle, etc.. I've never cared much for the music games. However I forgot about Mirror's Edge, I've been meaning to check that out. Also I'm a sucker for those independent low budget games like Braid. I'm definitely gonna check out those suggestions. I like strategy games too, I'll have to look into Railroad Tycoon.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
There's a good sized mystery/adventure segment that is fairly low on violence. I believe there are actually sequels to puzzle quest as well.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Blood Bowl Legendary Edition, it has violence, but it's less violent than a shooter.
Sam & Max episodes
Crazy Machines 2

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Spacechem
Monkey Island Special Edition
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Minecraft (although this does have zombies, but you are not required to fight them)

Can't think of any others off the top of my head. It is amazing that 99% of all video games seem to be violent. Must be some evolutionary trait toward violence or something?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Damn OP, you just made me realize that every game I play involves killing. Even Bloons Tower Defense has violence against b'loons.

penske2298977

Sep 5, 2005
A bit older than 10 years, but this is a great little racing game:
Supreme Snowboarding (released as Boarder Zone in the USA). There is even guy who is still supporting the title so you can play it on Vista and Win 7. But get the Supreme Snowboarding version as that is the version with after-market support.

http://basvanboven.nl/supreme/index.htm

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Beyond Good and Evil. Good game with very mild violence. Soon it will be available for download on XBOX 360, and PS3.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Odd, a thread about non-violent video games and very little mention of puzzle games, sports games or card games.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Tower defense games like Defense Grid work?

Chime on Steam is a puzzle game similar to Tetris.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Does Trine have much violence?

Trine is mostly about violence. You go around fighting stuff. It may not be especially gory compared to other games, but it is still a game where 90% of the gameplay revolves around fighting (violence).

It is amazing that nearly every game I have played since I was a kid were some form of digital violence. Even Pacman is a game about a white bloodcell killing bacteria/viruses. Super Mario Brothers has you killing koopas and other such enemies (or being killed by them). Donkey Kong has a large gorrilla trying to kill you.

Lucas Arts was good at making Adventure games that generally avoided violence. Too bad they don't make those anymore (or if they do, I don't know about them)

Feb 25, 2011
How nonviolent?

I mean, hell, in Scribblenauts, I can make a Tyrannosaurus eat people. Sure, there's no blood... but ouch.

Oh, TETRIS!!!

goobernoodles

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2005
Gary's Mod for HL2. HL2 is violent, but Gary's mod is like an awesome physics playground. Too bad they started charging money for it. It was fun when it was free.

Not sure if it's standalone now?