Name a few good non-violent games from the last 10 years

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I'm looking for games that are low on violence, any suggestions?

A few examples of games that I really liked in that category:

Portal (have'nt played Portal 2 yet)
Blur (there's some shooting but it's overall low violence)
Pikmin
Katamari series (I loved these games, which they had something similar on PC)

Aug 11, 2008
KOTOR 1 and 2 are excellent. There is a lot of fighting of course, but no blood or bad language. Just goes to show that you can have a great game without bad language or blood and gore. Both are rated Teen.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Audiosurf
World of Goo

And quite a good number of Indie games, check on Steam there's a bunch there that doesn't involve any forms of violence whatsoever.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Recettear is well worth checking out. It's an item shop management / action RPG hybrid. Lots of fun. IIRC, you don't have to do the dungeon fighting part if you don't want to.

On console, some people really enjoy the Harvest Moon, Pilotwings, and Animal Crossing series. Don't forget the music sim genre (Guitar Hero, etc).

There are also a whole lot of cool non-violent and low-violence Flash games. Music Catch, Phage Wars, Burrito Bison, Castlewars...

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
How can you say kotr and plant vs zombies are non violent ? And civilization ?
-
Mostly puzzle games are non violent. Unfortunately I seem to be in to violent games as just about every rpg I play has a fair amount of violence. Guess I don't play very many puzzle games; portal was fun but you mentioned that already. Never really played the jewel/bejweled sort of games.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
How is getting shot at by turrets, having rockets launched at you, and being roasted alive non-violent? It's only violent if it's happening to someone other than the main character?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I still enjoy Soldier of Fortune. It's a little violent but not too much.

Anything where you're shooting a gun at people is violence. Also, the first SoF was famous for allowing you to dismember people with well placed shots. Not exactly the kind of series that brings to mind anything close to what the OP asked for.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Anything where you're shooting a gun at people is violence. Also, the first SoF was famous for allowing you to dismember people with well placed shots. Not exactly the kind of series that brings to mind anything close to what the OP asked for.

Your sarcasm detector may require recalibration.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Braid
Sim City
Recettear
ARES

a bunch of good indie games (on steam and via the humble indie bundles) are fun and not violent at all

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
From what I remember of Prisoner of War, you had to escape POW camps, but didn't have the ability to take out guards or anything, it was all about stealth.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
I second (or third or whatever) World of Goo.

From games that I've played, I can't really think of much. Flower (ps3) is probably my favorite non-violent game. LittleBigPlanet comes to mind, though I suppose you could argue there is violence (in that you can be electrocuted, burned, and so on). MySims was fun enough, though that can probably be counted with anything Sims related.

Black and White, while not without violence, allows you to play peacefully.

Hrm, can't really think of much that hasn't been mentioned.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
rollercoaster tycoon series
railroad tycoon series
democracy 2 by positech games
machinarium

Dec 28, 2001
World of Goo
Osmos
Machinarium

- I'd say out of those three, Osmos has the most similar gameplay quality to Katamari. Of course, nothing in the world can match the game's atmosphere: the wife and neighbor are playing the exact game in front of me, actually.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Grand Theft Auto 4?

In seriousness, maybe puzzle quest? You do "kill things" but only by matching up skulls in a bejeweled type game, it's not like you shoot them with a gun or swing a sword or anything typically considered violent.