Naked runners face registering as sex offenders

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
WTF!!! sex offenders??? get a grip. :|

http://www.dailycamera.com/new...stering-sex-offenders/

Video of the event NSFW!!!!
http://goldpumpkin.blip.tv/#742241

Twelve of the runners who streaked the Pearl Street Mall on Friday night wearing nothing but pumpkins on their heads will have to register as sex offenders if they are convicted of indecent exposure.

The 10th year of the Naked Pumpkin Run started as usual ? with laughter, beer and a whole lot of pumpkin carving. But the nude run, which has grown in recent years to include well over 100 people, ended with police citing 12 of the streakers for indecent exposure, a Class 1 misdemeanor. Police have warned runners in the past that the activity isn?t legal, but this is the first time officers showed up en masse to enforce the law.

Now the ticketed runners, whose names have not yet been released, will have to register as sex offenders ? a scarlet letter that could mark their professional and personal lives for years ? if the charge of indecent exposure sticks.

?It?s very nasty,? said Alexander Garlin, a local lawyer who has experience defending sex-related criminal charges. ?Over the years, the system, the way of responding to individuals who are called sex offenders, ultimately has become institutionalized. There?s a whole industry around this, and certain critics have charged that the industry is too much one-size-fits-all.?

Convicting a naked pumpkin runner of indecent exposure in court, however, may not be completely straightforward. According to state law, the prosecution must show that the defendant ?knowingly exposed his genitals to the view of any person,? which is the easy part in this case, and that the exposure likely caused ?affront or alarm? to someone.

The ?affront and alarm? is the obvious place to begin a defense, Garlin said. In the case of the pumpkin run, which didn?t start until nearly 11 p.m., many of the people packed onto the mall said they were there specifically to see the nude runners.

?How does a jury figure out if someone is guilty (of affronting and alarming) beyond a reasonable doubt?? Garlin said. ?I would guess the average Boulderite is not likely to be affronted or alarmed ? entertained, maybe.?

If the cited runners don?t want to test their luck in court, they could try to plead to a lesser charge. In this case, the obvious alternate would be ?public indecency.?

Oddly, public indecency may sound worse on paper ? it includes doing such things in public as having sex, masturbating or fondling someone else ? but it carries far less serious consequences. Public indecency is a Class 1 petty offense and does not require registration as a sex offender.

?Public indecency has a real kicker ? it?s generally nakedness plus some pretty hard-core conduct,? Garlin said.

Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner said his officers cited the runners because ?first of all, it?s illegal,? he had a high enough staffing level that night and he was concerned that the event was getting out of hand.

?This isn?t OK,? he said. ?It is against the law. You can?t do this with immunity.?

Indecently exposed

Nudity in Boulder isn?t exactly uncommon, and in the past couple of years a growing number of people have been questioning how nudity is dealt with by police under different circumstances. For example, why weren?t a group of naked cyclists given tickets in July when a naked jogger was cited for indecent exposure in June?

Large naked events, such as Friday?s Naked Pumpkin Run and the Naked Bike Ride, haven?t typically drawn much police attention. But this year, a dozen people were cited with indecent exposure after jogging down the Pearl Street Mall wearing nothing but a carved pumpkin over their heads.

Here are a few recent examples of indecent-exposure cases:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Calling harmless nuts dangerous sex offenders is total stupidity. No one with a brain in their head can respect that, even if their tiny brains are blown.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I'm assuming this is an outdoor mall?

I personally think sex offender status needs to be overhauled. Too many regular people getting thrown on the list. Hell, even people who want to be "tough on sex offenders" should support a tiered list or a reduction in the number of crimes that qualify, because if lists get too diluted, no one will take them seriously anymore.

Feb 6, 2007
The 10th year of the Naked Pumpkin Run started as usual ? with laughter, beer and a whole lot of pumpkin carving.

I think they meant laughter, pumpkin carving and a whole lot of beer.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
The 10th year of the Naked Pumpkin Run started as usual ? with laughter, beer and a whole lot of pumpkin carving.

I think they meant laughter, pumpkin carving and a whole lot of beer.

I dont know...is anyone else uncomfortable being naked and drunk when the knives come out?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
One of my English friends is a naturist. He has a lovely garden out back, which he tends NAKED. His neighbors aren't the least alarmed, and think it's merely amusing. Of course, the English are a quirky lot, and if anything is weird it's their obsession with gardens and their dogs. ;) But, I do love the English....

Nakedness should never be illegal. It's our natural state of being and is perfectly natural. My only objection to nakedness is the ugly bodies one often sees on naturists. It's not like they keep wonderfully fit.... :)

-Robert

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
A girl at Penn State fought the charges and won. This year's Mifflin Streak is supposed to be a huge event celebrating the fact that the cops can't do anything.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's a damn shame that this country is so repressed when it comes to nudity. Guns/violence = good, nudity = bad.

Hell, these folks could have gotten 5 DWIs in a row and would have been better off.

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
doesn't surprise me considering how puritan America's attitude is towards sex and nudity, in comparison to other places in the world such as Europe....

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Every adult has seen their own nude body, and the vast majority have also seen at least one of the opposite sex. Freaking out about nudity is immature at the very least.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
No kidding, America's puritanical attitude towards sex and nakedness is so god damned backwards it makes me downright angry. And this sort of incident, as described in the OP, is a fairly common thing. Streaking and peeing behind a dumpster does not constitute a sex offense and anyone who thinks so (or prosecutes cases like this as such) is a complete fucking tool.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
No kidding, America's puritanical attitude towards sex and nakedness is so god damned backwards it makes me downright angry. And this sort of incident, as described in the OP, is a fairly common thing. Streaking and peeing behind a dumpster does not constitute a sex offense and anyone who thinks so (or prosecutes cases like this as such) is a complete fucking tool.
This X10 :thumbsup:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Very disappointed in you lot. Even the silliest threads bring out some prick who has no brain, where is somebody to defend, and be serious about it, this idea of them being sex offenders?

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Are you saying that we shouldn't belittle the ridiculousness of this situation because no one in their right mind would try to defend it? I think that is the very point.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Apparently the greatest danger facing the United States is that someone should see someone elses genitals.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I looked at the sex offenders list once in my city, just about everyone on there was "indecent exposure" or public nudity. Decided that it was completely worthless and have never looked at it again. The sex offenders list is nothing but a Scarlett letter

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Are they going to arrest all the old men at gyms? Their saggy nuts affront everyone.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
It is a bit wierd how we can run shows and movies on network tv during primetime that have people getting their heads blown off and apart, but if theres a nipple slip during the superbowl, then the country loses its mind.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Here is the video: http://goldpumpkin.blip.tv/#742241 (WARNING: Fleeting glimpses of wieners and other genitalia)

Granted, its last year's, but the bystanders do not seem very offended at all (many are high fiving them), and I see no kids. It looks like they ran on public streets though, so I'm not sure how the mall fits in.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: abaez
Here is the video: http://goldpumpkin.blip.tv/#742241 (WARNING: Fleeting glimpses of wieners and other genitalia)

Granted, its last year's, but the bystanders do not seem very offended at all (many are high fiving them), and I see no kids. It looks like they ran on public streets though, so I'm not sure how the mall fits in.

thanks for the link