N. Carolina Gov Pat McCrory needs your help

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Fans of all those new voter regulations Republicans across the country are passing in an attempt to solve the "problem" of widespread voter fraud.

Pat was asked by a reporter...
how three particular provisions of the bill would help prevent voter fraud — ending same-day voter registration, trimming the period for early voting by a week and eliminating a program that encourages high school students to register to vote in advance of their 18th birthdays.

His answer was to...
McCrory talked about two other sections of the legislation

He did give an answer to same day registration...
Asked again about the three provisions and how they would prevent voter fraud, McCrory said he had long been concerned about same-day registration, which allows voters to cast a ballot immediately after presenting elections officials with proof of their name and home address. McCrory said the system had potential for abuse

Key word is potential. Meaning its never happened but we are sure it will.

So pressed for answer on the last 2 parts...
McCrory was then asked specifically about the provision ending pre-registration by those under 18. "I don't know enough, I'm sorry, I haven't seen that part of the bill," McCrory replied.

Remember the mantra, voter fraud, voter fraud, voter fraud, voter fraud.

Here's your chance. Answer the last two parts for the governer since he neither read those parts or has an answer.

How does limiting early voting and eliminating pre-registration programs for high school students prevent voter fraud????

http://www.wral.com/mccrory-not-familiar-with-all-of-bill-he-s-to-sign/12710852/

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Hey damn it. I read they had at least TWO alleged cases of in person voter fraud in the last ten years!

Restricting early voting, not allowing polls to stay open longer, increased challenges of voters, doing away with mandatory registration of teens, voter IDs that can't be from any state help agency, all of this will help cut those false votes IN HALF!

If it only costs a couple of hundred thousand votes from the poor, elderly, and minority who by coincidence vote democrat so be it. Besides its not like we aren't counting their votes, we're just aborting them before they become votes!

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Hey, guns have the potential for abuse. And in fact they have quite the history of being abused. Let's make guns illegal. It's the exact same logic as the Republicans are using to disenfranchise. But you know what's never been used to murder a human being? A ballot.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Hey, guns have the potential for abuse. And in fact they have quite the history of being abused. Let's make guns illegal. It's the exact same logic as the Republicans are using to disenfranchise. But you know what's never been used to murder a human being? A ballot.

What! No!
In fact I just heard on Colbert or the Daily Show NC is going to allow CC holders to carry in bars!

How dangerous could guns really be if they'll let them conceal carry while drunk!

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001

You're slightly wrong, a ballot has never been used to kill anyone directly. Indirectly ballots have killed thousands. :(

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
So because it (voter fraud) only happens a little bit, we shouldn't pass laws against it?

IMO, if you can't be bothered to get an official state ID card, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I have no problem with high schoolers registering or polls staying open 'til midnight.

I do have a problem with a system that has no checks for whether or not the people who are voting are actually supposed to be voting. That's not disenfranchisement...that's common fucking sense.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
I'm from NC and and a conservative and these are just dumb. The only thing that needs to be done is find a way to enforce citizen vote. Early voting, leaving them open longer, pre-registration, etc. are all fine imo.

This is probably coming from the top and being used as a testbed.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
I'm from NC and and a conservative and these are just dumb. The only thing that needs to be done is find a way to enforce citizen vote. Early voting, leaving them open longer, pre-registration, etc. are all fine imo.

This is probably coming from the top and being used as a testbed.

I'm in NC now, its pretty clear that all of the recent (bad) legislation was produced by the ALEC which is accelerating its efforts to subvert democracy one state at a time.

If they were a foreign power doing these things to our people, we would be dropping bombs on them right now.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So because it (voter fraud) only happens a little bit, we shouldn't pass laws against it?

IMO, if you can't be bothered to get an official state ID card, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I have no problem with high schoolers registering or polls staying open 'til midnight.

I do have a problem with a system that has no checks for whether or not the people who are voting are actually supposed to be voting. That's not disenfranchisement...that's common fucking sense.

Hmm, It seems before this round of legislation, there were already laws in the books. Like identifying yourself through registration, and criminal convictions for trying to illegally vote.

Those rules knocked in person voter fraud down to about two in a decade. But I'm sure this is about in person voter fraud and not voter suppression. Right?

Apr 27, 2012

Some of the people who oppose voter ID want illegal immigrants to vote along with people scamming the system. There is fraud in the system and it must be stopped.

If the OP is pissed off about this then it can't be that bad:D

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
These republicans are not fighting against voter fraud, it's simply a political measure to try to make it harder for young people or poor people to vote. It's sort of like how democrats and republicans both love gerrymandering their districts to get political gain.

intellectual dishonesty, or rather, simply dishonesty is a much bigger problem in the world that voter fraud. We should fix both, but, we should not encourage dishonesty to prevent voter fraud.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Some of the people who oppose voter ID want illegal immigrants to vote along with people scamming the system. There is fraud in the system and it must be stopped.

If the OP is pissed off about this then it can't be that bad:D

How about an ID system that doesn't disproportionately affect one side vs the other. Like Texas allowing CCL to vote but not college IDs.

You didn't answer the question, how does cutting back on early voting stop fraud??

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
How about an ID system that doesn't disproportionately affect one side vs the other. Like Texas allowing CCL to vote but not college IDs.

You didn't answer the question, how does cutting back on early voting stop fraud??

Exactly what about CCL and college ID's is one side vs the other? Last time I checked neither had anything to do with either "side". How is any state ID system favoring anyone?

You really are a prejudiced son of a bitch. Leave it to a liberal to use stereotypes to further their agenda.

As for early voting, its dumb to limit it for reasons of fraud IMO.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Hitler was elected. So was Dubya.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Exactly what about CCL and college ID's is one side vs the other? Last time I checked neither had anything to do with either "side". How is any state ID system favoring anyone?

You really are a prejudiced son of a bitch. Leave it to a liberal to use stereotypes to further their agenda.

Oh the irony!

Apr 27, 2012

So you want to violate the rights of innocent Americans? Nice to see you trash the Constitution.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Pretending you don't know college students favor Dems and CCL owners favor GOP?

Playing dumb or more natural?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011

Using stereotypes much?

Facts are a CCL is a state issued form of ID. A college ID isn't. Not very hard to get a student worker at the admissions office to print you off one.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
And some of the people who support voter ID don't want minorities or democrats to vote, whether they're citizens or not.

Bullshit. Republicans would ecstatic if minorities turned out and voted for them.

Do you really think that liberals wouldn't be happy if Evangelical Christians decided to stay home and pray instead of vote?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

Gov't issued (CCL) vs. not gov't issued (college id).

Not really a comparison here.