Myth: high reps = defining muscles

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
I've always heard that high reps low weight = muscle definition, while low reps high weight = building mass, but I've also heard that the only way to define muscles is to lose fat. Seems to me the latter makes more sense, since I haven't heard of two types of muslce (defined and undefined).

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
You are correct, it is a myth. The only way to increase definition is to lose bodyfat. The best way to do that, generally speaking, is to continue to lift heavy while gradually reducing calories. Some like to add in some cardio as well. The heavy weights provide a stimulus for your body to convince it to hang on to the muscle, and instead burn off fat to handle the caloric deficit.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
A lot of it is also diet manipulation too. Start cutting like a fighter and dehydrate yourself when you want to have the most definition.

Even the most ripped bodybuilders don't look the same when they aren't competing.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Losing fat is 80% diet. One can lose on diet alone, but the best lifting program can't overcome a crappy diet.

Building muscle is 80% diet.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
The only time I've seen people recommend higher numbers of reps (~12) per set is to build muscular endurance; I think of it as being similar to doing cardio, but with weights. However, as the others have said, using a greater number of reps to try and increase definition is, indeed, a myth.

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
I see...

While I'm at it, I might as well ask now: If I was a beginning weightlifter, interested in just gaining a little weight and in general getting stronger (NOT like powerlifter strong) should I start with iso splits or full body workouts (ie squats)? Keep in mind I wouldn't want to get huge - just grow and emphasize muscles.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
It's been a while since I've read up on intro-type routines, but I'd imagine that the more compound exercises (i.e., squats, bench presses, rows, etc.) would be your best bet when first starting out.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Whisper
The only time I've seen people recommend higher numbers of reps (~12) per set is to build muscular endurance;

Cosgrove uses them to induce metabolic disruptions for his (in)famous NROL fat loss programs. They range from 3x15@75s rest in FLI to 3x8@30s rest in FLII.

The reasoning lies in this research piece:

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/18/2/115

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: enwar3
I see...

While I'm at it, I might as well ask now: If I was a beginning weightlifter, interested in just gaining a little weight and in general getting stronger (NOT like powerlifter strong) should I start with iso splits or full body workouts (ie squats)? Keep in mind I wouldn't want to get huge - just grow and emphasize muscles.

First of all let me say this - the only difference between gaining "a little" weight and a lot of weight is the duration of the program. The basic approach is still the same. I just don't like it when n00bs say "I don't want to get too big", as if gaining weight happens by accident. It doesn't. People have to work their asses off to gain muscle, whether it be 5 lbs. or 50.

Now, I would say to always focus on the basic compound movements like squats, deadlifts, rows, pullups, bench, etc.

Also for gaining weight, your diet is key. The best routine in the world won't help you if your diet is not in check.

I'm not going to type out an incredibly detailed guide here. Instead, I will simply refer you to the board in my sig. Go there, register, read the stickies in the various forums, and ask questions as necessary. The members there are very helpful and can answer any questions you have. Also feel free to PM me with anything specific.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Special KI'm not going to type out an incredibly detailed guide here. Instead, I will simply refer you to the board in my sig. Go there, register, read the stickies in the various forums, and ask questions as necessary. The members there are very helpful and can answer any questions you have. Also feel free to PM me with anything specific.

That's a pretty good site. Tony Gentilcore, Mike Robertson, Kelly Baggett and a lot more people who know their stuff post articles to that site.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=270
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=279

Also, these at Berardi's site:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_1.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_2.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/g-flux.htm

l6873

Sep 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Special KThe only way to increase definition is to lose bodyfat.

Not necessarily. A 250 pound person with 30 pounds of fat will have more definition than a 200 pound person with 30 pounds of fat.

l6873

Sep 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Special K
Originally posted by: l6873
Originally posted by: Special KThe only way to increase definition is to lose bodyfat.

Not necessarily. A 250 pound person with 30 pounds of fat will have more definition than a 200 pound person with 30 pounds of fat.

I'm talking about changes in a single person. I'm not comparing different people. Either of the examples you quoted would have to lose bodyfat to increase their own levels of definition.

You do not need to lose body fat in order to increase definition. If you gain muscle your body fat percentage will decrease.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

I'm talking about changes in a single person. I'm not comparing different people. Either of the examples you quoted would have to lose bodyfat to increase their own levels of definition.

You do not need to lose body fat in order to increase definition. If you gain muscle your body fat percentage will decrease.

Yeah that's why I edited my post out. More muscle means you can have more definition at a higher % bodyfat.

May 18, 2007

some most likely if you clean bulk, but when bulking most people gain bodyfat as well. Just have to cut when you feel the time is right.

l6873

Sep 9, 2005
As long as you're adding more muscle than fat, you're decreasing your body fat percentage. But yes, cutting is the fastest and easiest way to lower body fat.

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
Ok I'm looking to build a starting weightlifting program. I swim competitively, so it's not like I have no muscle at all, but I've never been to the gym specifically to build muscle.

But this summer, I'm going to start working out. I will be trying to get stronger, but the emphasis is to get bigger and look better in a swim suit. That means I'm not looking to be huge or to be a powerlifter - I just want to work on the V-taper, arms and legs, etc.

I've thought about starting with Rippetoe's, but I've also thought about starting with dumbbell exercises. What do you say?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
To be honest, if you are seriously a complete beginner, you could go in and do everything completely wrong and probably see results. There are some decent threads with beginner to intermediate workout routines over at www.bodybuilding.com if you are interested. If you are unsure how to do a specific exercise you can head to http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and watch some videos.

I prefer dumbbell's btw.

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
Thanks for the help so far!

Well I mean I'm trying to build muscle, but not everywhere (as with Rippetoe's, which mainly focuses on squats and other full-body routines). If I wanted to focus most of the growth on my lats, chest, and arms and legs, would I be better off starting with a dumbbell routine that isolates the parts I want to work on?

The main thing is to work on a V-taper.....

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: enwar3
Ok I'm looking to build a starting weightlifting program. I swim competitively, so it's not like I have no muscle at all, but I've never been to the gym specifically to build muscle.

But this summer, I'm going to start working out. I will be trying to get stronger, but the emphasis is to get bigger and look better in a swim suit. That means I'm not looking to be huge or to be a powerlifter - I just want to work on the V-taper, arms and legs, etc.

I've thought about starting with Rippetoe's, but I've also thought about starting with dumbbell exercises. What do you say?

You'll need to do more research...you'll want to look into sports specific weight training. There is a guy on Men's Health and JPFitness, goes by the handle Milkman...he's a competitive swimmer who's lifting for the same reasons. Very knowledgable guy. You'll definitely want to pick his mind on this because if I got the jist of his bottom line advice, weight lifting has little benefit to a swimmer and in fact, too big a body can hinder you since you have to move the extra poundage.

Sign on to either and shout out to him. He'll set you up.

He also has a weight training log here:

http://forums.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=20199