Mysterious Problems Overclocking. Need ideas...

Solarbeat

Oct 13, 1999
Whenever my computer resets (with the reset button, or ctrl-alt-del, or win98 reset), it never posts again, and I end up having to power off the system, then power it on again to get it to start up (post) at all. My motherboard is a msi bxmaster.

I'm not having any other problems with the motherboard except for the reset problem and occasional crashes in some games). I've checked to make sure it's properly installed.

I don't think it's a problem with windows, because it happens even when I reset the computer before I start loading windows.

Now I've narrowed down my problem. I think what's causing this reset problem is also causing crashes in some games. While my temps aren't exactly low, they aren't terribly high either, so I don't think it's heat, particularly because it happens first thing in the morning, when everything is cool.

After testing all the different variables, I've noticed that some games crash and I have my reset problem only if I'm at 100mhz or higher FSB. I thought it was voltage related at first, but it doesn't seem to be that.

Now, if it's not heat at 100mhz fsb, it must be ram, right? Problem is, I ran my old celeron300a at 464 (103x4.5) forever, and it had zero problems. This crashing problem has followed me from my old bh6 to my new bxmaster. My RAM is corsair PC100 cas2, and was working fine. I did make 2 additions to my system though: my celeron566 and my new geforce2, neither of which I hear anybody else having problems with. So is it the ram? Need input :)

Thanks for reading.

Here's my system, if it helps:

MSI BX-Master (latest bios, at defaults for power mgmnt)
Celeron566
128mb pc100 SDRAM
Antec 300W ATX Power Supply
Enlight 7237 Case
Elsa Gladiac Geforce2 GTS 32mb
CL SB Live! X-Gamer
Adaptec 2930C SCSI Controller
Hauppauge Wintv/PCI
Sohoware NIC 10/100
Maxtor 20gb 7200rpm (on primary built-in promise udma66)
IBM 10GB 7200rpm x2 (on primary ide)
Toshiba SD1202 DVD-ROM (on secondary ide)
All of the components have the latest drivers.

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
how many sticks of ram do you have? move it or them around - many abit boards do just what you are talking about when there is a dimm in the 3rd slot (farthest from cpu).

garrison

Jul 8, 2000
try to start yr system with only mb+ram+cpu+video card+storages.
try with different power supply unit, or different video card.
or cpu, or anything different old hardware you got.
generally, this is my (MY) preferred method to find hware problems.

or maybe you have to adjust some things on the ACPI in the bios.

Outlaw

Oct 12, 1999
Its normal with Overclocking and rebooting with the Bios.
Some configurations are fine to a certain point and then when you really push the chip this may happen even though the system is stable under the normal operating system environment.