mysterious charged item on credit card bill?

Apr 5, 2000
Just receieved my cc bill today from Discover, I looked through the list of charged items and I noticed one item that I don't remember purchasing. It was a $30.02 item from CompUSA (don't know why I was shopping there if that was me). I remember that day that I got off of work an hour early (bought something at work too using the same cc) but I really do not remember buying anything from C-USA or even going to C-USA. The only thing I've bought from them was about a week later when I bought something using a totally different credit card.

I've racked my brain trying to think what that item is, I've looked all around the house (especially near the computers) but I don't see anything new that I could have bought from them. And I normally don't write down in a check book the purchases I make using a cc (although now I think I should start) so thats a dead end.

My question is: should I dispute the charge, even though I *might* have purchased something I don't remember? (I have looked all over the place for anything that might jog my memory. I really dont want to do that but I just cant think of anything I bought from them) or should I stop by that CompUSA store with the credit card bill and see if they can find a copy of the receipt? (All their receipts are electronically stored) The weird thing is, $30.02 isn't a normal amount, even after tax, meaning the total before tax would have to be around $26.50 or so.

Frenchie

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 22, 1999
If the statement has a 1-800 number for CompUSA, give them a call and see if they can tell you what the charge was for. If not, dispute it and let Discover do the legwork for you.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
Oh, I wouldn't worry about it, probably something you bought and completely forgot about. Really what could have possibly happened? Like someone would have purchased a $26.50 CD Label Stomper and used that card? I mean really what are the chances of that? Seriously don't give it another thought. BTW, don't forget when next months bill comes in that you ate at Applebees just a few nights ago.......

j/k I have had a couple charges like that from gas stations and just called the credit card company and requested copies of the signed slips. Worst case scenario, even if that slip doesn't say what you bought, at least you will know if it is your signature.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
similar deal here except on much larger scale.
6000+ charges on my mastercard.
wth is going on? they aren't charging me, but it sure is a pain!

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've disputed three charges on my First USA Master Card. They are the ones reported on by 20/20 or 60 Minutes or someone, for billing problems.
I've never had any problems with this CC company at all. They got right on the disputed charges and got them cleared up. After the third charge (2 from the same web company), they closed that account and issued me another card. Since they provide web access to my account, I can keep a close eye on what gets charged.
All three charges were disputed before I even got my statement :)
ROCK ON, WEB ACCESS!

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Go to CompUSA with credit card statement in hand and ask them. With the date and the credit card number, they can pull up the transaction on their computer and tell you what it was for. That should jog your memory. :)

Apr 5, 2000
Thanks for the info. I called up Discover, they said the card was physically swiped so I did buy something but I can't forget what. Argh, stupid me. Thanks though

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999

<< but I can't forget what >>

Do you mean can't remember what? If I were you then I would just call comp usa up and ask them what you bought :)