Mysterious cables (or threads) hanging from the sky

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
I just came across this today, and it has really been freaking me out, especially as I look more into it. Is seems that back in 1970, in a town in New Jersey called Caldwell, some type of thread was noticed in the air hanging down over someone's house. No one could see where the thread was coming from. From a newspaper report,

"It looks rigid, as if it were a wire, not a string. It appears silver when the sunlight strikes it. On Monday it hung about 150 feet above the houses on Forest Avenue and Hillside Avenue. By Tuesday, it seemed limper to Mrs Smith and other observers, as if one of its ends — wherever that is — had loosened. It also seemed lower in the sky. The Caldwell police tried to trace it on Monday, found signs of it up Hillside and down towards West Caldwell, but lost it in the clouds before tracking down the origins. They looked again on Tuesday with the same nebulous results."

Neighbors from all over came out to see the thread. It stayed there for about a month (!) just hanging in mid air, through storms and windy days. Finally, some kids used a fishing pole and line to snag the end of it, they pulled on it, and they gathered "buckets" of the thread according to one report I read, "1000 feet of it" before it "snapped" according to another report. The end that was still up in the sky was never found. The part that was pulled down was taken to the DuPont company for testing. I read one report that said DuPont couldn't figure out what it was, and another that said they found it to be "chemically a type 6 Nylon (caprolactam) or possibly a copolymer such as type 6 and type 66, but that it was not of their manufacture." Also, the lines "had a fine hollow tube running through their length. When Dr. Vargas first examined the specimens this was empty, but after a time in a vacuum jar he found to his amazement that this tube was filled with some other solid substance, and this defied analysis as far as we can make out."

Apparently this has also happened in other places, the Caldwell NJ incident took place in August of 1970, then it happened in Elberton, Georgia in June 1972, and in Greensburg, Ohio in September of 1978. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Is it some kind of hoax? I would think that if it were real, there would have been some kind of major investigation on it, every report I've been able to find seems fairly blasé about it.

The latest report I found was from 2003, where someone writing for a publication called "Weird New Jersey" found one of the kids (who was around 40 years old at the time of the interview) who had snagged the thread with the fishing pole back in the 1970's. He said, "After the thread was hanging there for about a week, attracting all kinds of crowds, me and my buddies decided to pull it down. I got a fishing rod and just kept casting until we snagged it from mid air over the house. When we got a hold of it we just kept pulling and it just kept on coming down out of nowhere. Then it stopped and we found the end. There wasn't anything holding it from the other end, it was just coming out of nowhere! They took it from us and sent it off to some lab somewhere for testing and that's the last any of us ever heard about it. Jeez, now I wish I had saved some of it for a souvenir!".

Now he's saying he found the end, where other reports say the thread snapped and the end was never found. But, it was over 40 years ago, I'm sure memories are a bit rusty by now. There's not a whole lot of info on this online, and what little there is comes from just a few sources. Anyone know someone who works at DuPont who could look into this?

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
therefore&

Reactions: shortylickens

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
My thoughts exactly, send it in to Dunning via the newsgroup or student questions audio.

OK, I sent it to him. Sounds like he is backlogged, maybe he'll get back to me in a couple of years. If so, I'll post his findings here.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Kept waiting for the punchline about an ongoing thread with too many posts in ATOT only to be me.

Reactions: Ken g6

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Did they have a space program then? My guess is no, but if they did, maybe it was something that was partially in orbit? Like some kind of very long cable for something where maybe 20% of it was in the atmosphere and the rest was in orbit, so it just hung there. That would be quite a sight to see though.

Speaking of weird things, on two occasions, I witnessed something very shiny in the sky, looked kinda like magnesium burning. It would move around a bit but pretty much stay in one spot, then eventually vanish. I'm thinking maybe a large piece of foil paper caught up in the wind, but not sure if it would actually end up that high.

A few days ago me and my dad were just sitting around the camp fire and noticed something that looked like a balloon with a candle hanging from it. No idea what it really was but it was odd. It looked to be fairly close, like maybe a few hundred feet at most.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Did they have a space program then? My guess is no, but if they did, maybe it was something that was partially in orbit? Like some kind of very long cable for something where maybe 20% of it was in the atmosphere and the rest was in orbit, so it just hung there. That would be quite a sight to see though.
The wind resistance on something like that would be considerable across the entire length. (Yes, it's just a filament, but it would also have to be pretty damn long. ;)) That's getting into the realm of space elevators, and they still don't have anything with the necessary tensile strength to be usable for such an application - certainly not nylon filaments. :)
Plus nylon gets brittle if it is allowed to dry out (hygroscopic material). I'd guess that exposure to a vacuum would bring on embrittlement in a hurry on the higher altitude portions.

(And if this was in 1970, and we had someone on the Moon in 1969, yes, I'd say the space program existed at the time. ;))

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009

No, orbit doesn't work like that. Geosync isn't until 22,000 miles out and you only get stationary positions over the equator. (An orbit around the Earth that comes up into the northern hemisphere has to dip down into the southern hemisphere on the other side. That's why, if you've ever seen a track of the Space Shuttle or ISS, it's a sine wave.
iss52499docking.jpg

Last edited:

Finfin

Aug 10, 2016
An account of this is written in amazon book spam

You should really read <also removed>by Charles Fort 1919. This second book is free; the first one... not so much free. These things are called "damned", because science cannot explain them, therefore science excludes the collected data.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
An account of this is written in

You should really read by Charles Fort 1919. This second book is free; the first one... not so much free. These things are called "damned", because science cannot explain them, therefore science excludes the collected data.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
No, orbit doesn't work like that. Geosync isn't until 22,000 miles out and you only get stationary positions over the equator.

Geosync doesn't work like that either, there is no "stationary". :confused:
Sats have to be maintained in their assigned position with thrusters as there is no perfect "sync".
(We used to call it "station keeping", they may have another term these days.)
Hence the reason (lack of remaining thruster fuel) most com stats are decommissioned and thrusted into higher orbits.
BTW - Com sats are considered in "geosync" if they can maintain their position within a 90 mile cube.
At that distance the angle of deviation is too minute to be of concern to ground stations and for the same reason a "narrow beam" parabolic on a com sat covers half the US. :)

Reactions: shortylickens

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
My guess is that it was some kind of experiment involving advanced carbon nano tube string like structures, possibly attached to a upper atmosphere balloon.