myspace and step kids

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I'm not sure why you blocked it, because you got crank calls and think one of the kids posted the number there?? I don't understand if this is a 'cause and affect' or if its a different issue.

Reg. blocking it w/o wife's blessing tho, I'd say it depends on how long you've been in their lives and/or how much they respect you as an authoritative figure. Generally tho you've got to get on the same page with your wife regarding the kids (compromise by either or accept her side, whatever) or it can work against you.

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Mypsace sucks, but they're not your kids. Don't block myspace on the computers unless she's cool with it

My computers that they use though. Am I wrong with that thinking?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Mypsace sucks, but they're not your kids. Don't block myspace on the computers unless she's cool with it

He's married to their mother and has been in their lives for the better part of 11 year years.

When do they become "his kids?"

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: danzigrules

Your computer your rules? lol, that's a cheezy way to be controlling so you get your way. ;)

Yes, you're wrong to take advantage of that because who owns the computer doesn't resolve whether their mom's preference should be respected.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Just be like if something werid happens one more time every pc gets it blocked.

If your married to her their your kids to and even your computers. You shoudn't be a "nazi" so to speak but without authority now theres no authority later.

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole

Your computer your rules? lol, that's a cheezy way to be controlling so you get your way. ;)

Yes, you're wrong to take advantage of that because who owns the computer doesn't resolve whether their mom's preference should be respected.

their mother didn't even know how to turn on a pc, I built her one and she got hooked on myspace. I think that has alot to do with her thinking.

<edit> jjsole, what you are saying is hitting hard to home. It like You know what is going on here at my house.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
omg myspace is fine. you chat etc. So what? I don't see how it's soooo bad. More of a time waster. ugh. AND BTW NOBODY GIVES A FVCK IF IT MAKES AMERICA "LOOK" BAD.. >.<

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Praxis1452
omg myspace is fine. you chat etc. So what? I don't see how it's soooo bad. More of a time waster. ugh. AND BTW NOBODY GIVES A FVCK IF IT MAKES AMERICA "LOOK" BAD.. >.<

That post in itself shows what's wrong with myspace.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

their mother didn't even know how to turn on a pc, I built her one and she got hooked on myspace. I think that has alot to do with her thinking.

What is your thinking? Kids can be stupid enough to post their phone numbers anywhere, why myspace and what reasons did you give her (that she apparently didn't accept) for killing access to that site in particular? She's obviously had fun with it herself, so maybe you just need to present a better argument.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
The kids will be really pissed off at you. But, I'm a 17-year-old who despises myspace. So, all hope is not lost.

If I was a parent, and saw that website, I would block it ASAP. It's not just a waste of time, it's a pathetic waste of time, and potentially dangerous.
BTW, your kids were idiots to give out the phone number online. Use that as the reason if you'd like.

danzigrules

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2000

What is your thinking? Kids can be stupid enough to post their phone numbers anywhere, why myspace and what reasons did you give her (that she apparently didn't accept) for killing access to that site in particular? She's obviously had fun with it herself, so maybe you just need to present a better argument.

she liked it so she could spy on the kids :eek:

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
You're 100% right in blocking it, but you may have gone about it the wrong way.

The key here is to justify blocking it by talking to your kids and your wife about the destructive nature of the website and how its influence is not something you want in your home. Justify, justify, justify. Not so much to your kids as to your wife.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Your house, your rules.

direct your wife to stories of girls being coaxed to meeting some old guy. I think some girl in michigan went to the middle east via meeting some guy on myspace. Scare her.

link

Your neck of the woods maybe?here

here's one, in NY
link

On a different note. I'm amazed you took a woman who had 3 kids.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
IMHO, when someone gets your phone # and calls one of your stepchildren a whore, you draw the line right there... Along with them going to kill you...

Actually, you should check their myspaces and possibly xangas, because they could be posting crap about you behind your back, hence why the threats.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
kids will be kids. let them access myspace for chrissake. stop them from more serious stuff that actually deserves attention. drugs/violence/etc. myspace might seem stupid but its all the craze with juveniles--so just let them. should i ban my kids from playing videogames/AIM/internet because they rot their brains? of course not--those are silly things kids should be able to use.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
that number could have been given out anywhere.

it is illogical to assume that it came from myspace.

properly parented, myspace should not be an issue.

sheltering children from places only leads to them being less prepaired in the future.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: BigJ
MySpace is a plague on humanity. You are doing the nation and your fellow man a service by blocking it in your household.

:thumbsup:

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
If I were a parent I'd block it, but they're your step kids so you should talk it over with the misses and come to some sort of agreement.

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: BigJ
MySpace is a plague on humanity. You are doing the nation and your fellow man a service by blocking it in your household.

:thumbsup:

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
MySpace was a good idea when it first started. But it's the most incredibly poorly executed "networking" site EVER. Freely allowing WHATEVER to be posted in *COMMENTS*, free control of CSS, there is absolutely no control or regulation whatsoever. Anything goes on Myspace. There are no regulations as to content. There is no oversight. The total lack of validation allows the potential for the rampant spread of computer viruses and malware.

Everyone with any shred of common sense and taste moved on from myspace to other networking sites (the best executed among them being facebook, which now has a high school section).

And the number one reason your kids are making up bullshit:
YOU DO NOT TALK TO FRIENDS ON MYSPACE!
You talk to them on instant messengers - you MEET creepy ****** on MySpace.

Oh, and sit the wife down at a PC and make her flip through myspace for a few hours. If she has any shred of good parent in her, she'll run away screaming.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Oh, and as for giving out the home phone number... Look at the 12 year old girl. My parents went through the exact same thing with my niece (they're her legal guardians) over myspace and phone numbers and the internet in general when she was 12.