My wife wants to get a dog and I don't.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Some back story is, I have never had a pet, and I have absolutely no desire to start now. I see them as something that costs money, ties you down, causes grief, smells, makes a mess, and needs constant attention.

My wife has now decided she needs a dog (I think it is because our kids are growing up and do not need her attention as much as they used to). She is now not speaking to me because I said in no uncertain terms that I do not want a pet in the house.

As much as she says she will look after the dog, I know that I would end up with some of the work, and it would obviously impact our lives, and I just don't want to go there.

Am I being unreasonable?

Update: In 2009 my wife bought a $500 older purebred lap dog of some type. I spent two days reworking our fence so it couldn't get out of the back yard, she spent more $100s on toys, food, misc equipment.

After a week realized she was allergic to it and gave it away.

We were together for another 4 years when we came to the realization we were done and I've enjoyed being single for the last 1 1/2 years.

Last edited:

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
It is between you and your wife. Not totally unreasonable, but you don't want to make it an ultimatum.

BTW, it is a good way to get used to the idea of a kid because if you think a pet is a lot of trouble, you are in for a lot of hurt when you have a kid... ;)

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Depends on the size of the dog, size of the house, and her being able to care for it.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
You could say you won't do any of the work if she gets one, but you're married...so we all know thats not going to happen. You'll be the conscripted first line of defense in the war on the dog sh|tting the house in about 2 weeks.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
She is being unreasonable for not speaking to you. The silent treatment is retarded no matter what.

As far as the dog thing, the cost will be minimal if you get a small dog, you can always get some old lady to watch it while you go on vacation, they only cause grief for the first few months (assuming it's a puppy), and they won't smell if you get the right type. On the plus side, it could give your wife a lot of comfort to have something to pamper and it could end up being a good friend to both of you for the next 10+ years.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe. Actually having a pet could change your outlook... having never had one, you don't really get the whole picture, you're just looking at the negative aspects.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"I see them as something that costs money, ties you down, causes grief, smells, makes a mess, and needs constant attention."

How do you see your wife ? How does she see you ? ;)

Everybody's different, I wouldn't think I had the right to dictate to my wife what she could or couldn't do, but there aren't many things we would disagree about anyway, so I'm pretty lucky.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Maybe she wil be OK with a cat? Or a turtle? They require much less work and care and usually make less of a mess. Compromise.

If you do get a dog you will probebly begin to like it more than she does.

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by: PingSpike
You could say you won't do any of the work if she gets one, but you're married...so we all know thats not going to happen. You'll be the conscripted first line of defense in the war on the dog sh|tting the house in about 2 weeks.

My wife swore up and down that she would take care of two cats. She managed to pull it off after four years. The only time I had to step in was during her prego months she couldn't handle the cat litter but that was out of her control.

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: DaShen
It is between you and your wife. Not totally unreasonable, but you don't want to make it an ultimatum.

BTW, it is a good way to get used to the idea of a kid because if you think a pet is a lot of trouble, you are in for a lot of hurt when you have a kid... ;)

Can you even read? He said he already has kids.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Build a bigger dog house and put your wife and dog in it. Problem solved.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
i myself am a dog person and viewed my last one as part of my family. it was the hairy sister. ;)
they are wonderful pets and truely are loving animals

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001
not unreasonable...but look at it this way....would you rather more kids? ;)

edited

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Not being unreasonable at all.

You don't want a dog. You said no dog.

That should be the end of it.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
dogs rock. here's a story. my g/f's sister's friends bought her a dog. thing is, the rest of the family don't really like dogs... well, she brought the dog home anyway and the family was initially outraged. somehow she managed to convince them to allow her to keep the dog an several months later, the dog is now part of the family. the dog pwns and is cute as hell. the dog also knows how to do tricks now and everything. it's a welsh corgi or whatever.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: pmoa
not unreasonable...but look at it this way....would you rather more kids? ;)

edited

Been there, done that, and have the Worlds #1 Dad t-shirt. :D

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Not being unreasonable at all.

You don't want a dog. You said no dog.

That should be the end of it.

Don't think it's quite that simple when you're married.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Chrono
dogs rock. here's a story. my g/f's sister's friends bought her a dog. thing is, the rest of the family don't really like dogs... well, she brought the dog home anyway and the family was initially outraged. somehow she managed to convince them to allow her to keep the dog an several months later, the dog is now part of the family. the dog pwns and is cute as hell. the dog also knows how to do tricks now and everything. it's a welsh corgi or whatever.

When I was 10 years old my parents agreed to look after their friend's dog for a week, which meant I was looking after it for week. I hated the damn dog, and having to take it out for walks every few hours. Three days later, it climbs up on my bed in the middle of the night and barfs all over the covers. So here I am at 3am doing laundry so I will have bedding to sleep in.

The next night, the dog starts to climb up again and I push it off the bed. In the morning, I find a dead dog on the floor of my room. Yeah, I really want to go through that again by choice.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I've never understood peoples dependence on a pet.

The thing that sucks is you will always be the bad guy now. People look at you like you have the problem. I can't stand pets either. Feel the same way you do. And haveing a smelly annoying pet around drives me nuts.

I'm alergic too and I still get it held against me for not liking them. I'm sorry but it's a two person decision. And the other person should never treat the other bad for casting or not casting their vote. If you dont want one then you dont, and dont get one. People should matter the most and the person you are with. You dont need a damn animal to enrich your life together. And they certainly dont need to treat you like crap because the other person doesnt want one.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: D1gger
Originally posted by: Chrono

When I was 10 years old my parents agreed to look after their friend's dog for a week, which meant I was looking after it for week. I hated the damn dog, and having to take it out for walks every few hours. Three days later, it climbs up on my bed in the middle of the night and barfs all over the covers. So here I am at 3am doing laundry so I will have bedding to sleep in.

The next night, the dog starts to climb up again and I push it off the bed. In the morning, I find a dead dog on the floor of my room. Yeah, I really want to go through that again by choice.

I know I shouldn't laugh... but lol.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: tk109

The thing that sucks is you will always be the bad guy now. People look at you like you have the problem. I can't stand pets either. Feel the same way you do. And haveing a smelly annoying pet around drives me nuts.

I'm alergic too and I still get it held against me for not liking them. I'm sorry but it's a two person decision. And the other person should never treat the other bad for casting or not casting their vote. If you dont want one then you dont, and dont get one. People should matter the most and the person you are with. You dont need a damn animal to enrich your life together. And they certainly dont need to treat you like crap because the other person doesnt want one.

Some people CRAVE affection. Some people like having companionship that is simple (pets provide that). I have never owned a pet myself -- my dad didn't like animals in the house, but I had a natural affinity with animals. In general, animals really like me for some reason. I even got an aggressive dog that hated to be touched to allow me to pet him for a little while. He got anxious and growled after a while (at which point I stopped), but my friends were amazed at that because for the most part the dog was very defensive. Somebody asked if I would dog sit for them when I was younger after seeing how I was with their pet just for a little while. With all of that though, I have no real need to own a pet and I enjoy being by myself for the most part.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: tk109

I see I am not alone. I too hate that most people simply don't want to understand that I don't need or want a pet.