My wife got a new job and I think a lot public schools are going to get real bad over the next 5-10 years

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Arizona is one part old ass white retirees not wanting to fund any school. One part shitter GOP politics not wanting to fund immigrants education. Just a big pile of fuck you.

Reactions: Captante and dank69

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I recall hearing Rush Limbaugh on the radio many years back. I never regularly listened to him, but on that day I stopped to listen because he had a point. His point was that teachers were underpaid and under-appreciated. He thought that if a teacher had to spend any time discipling kids or correcting chronic bad behavior, the teacher should be able to send the kid home with a note. The note would say "it's your job as a parent to discipline your child. I'm not wasting any more of my valuable time teaching children that want to learn because your idiot son wants to be a disruption. The world needs ditch diggers and car wash attendants too. If you don't correct the behavior keep him home". And it was about the only sane thing he said in his entire life.

Reactions: Captante

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I recall hearing Rush Limbaugh on the radio many years back. I never regularly listened to him, but on that day I stopped to listen because he had a point. His point was that teachers were underpaid and under-appreciated. He thought that if a teacher had to spend any time discipling kids or correcting chronic bad behavior, the teacher should be able to send the kid home with a note. The note would say "it's your job as a parent to discipline your child. I'm not wasting any more of my valuable time teaching children that want to learn because your idiot son wants to be a disruption. The world needs ditch diggers and car wash attendants too. If you don't correct the behavior keep him home". And it was about the only sane thing he said in his entire life.
It's sane in a vacuum.

In real life, that kid might be going home to a parent or guardian that doesn't give a shit about that kid. Or they might be going home to get the shit kicked out of them.

The US education system is antiquated and stopped being functional decades ago. It was developed to teach people how to be relatively knowledgable factory workers. The oligarchs have long since offshored as much factory work as possible and rote memorization of trivia is pretty useless in our "post-industrial" world.

What we need is more STEM, but also a lot of the nearly-forgotten-in-the-first-world "basics", as the cheap energy and ubiquitous tech we take for granted now, won't be around when the kids being born today are adults. They're going to need to know how to smelt, blacksmith, farm, salvage, etc. We're going to need people who can repair solar panels, wind turbines, gas and electric engines/motors, while also being able to make "replacements" that can use whatever energy we're still able to produce without the petroleum infrastructure that isn't going to last forever.

I was thinking last night that you could blink away every fast food place, convenience store, and almost any other small-to-medium sized business and life would go on relatively unchanged. Blink away 1/2 of the gas stations in this country and the government would collapse in a month. And that shit ain't too far off in the best case scenario.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
It's sane in a vacuum.

In real life, that kid might be going home to a parent or guardian that doesn't give a shit about that kid. Or they might be going home to get the shit kicked out of them.

The US education system is antiquated and stopped being functional decades ago. It was developed to teach people how to be relatively knowledgable factory workers. The oligarchs have long since offshored as much factory work as possible and rote memorization of trivia is pretty useless in our "post-industrial" world.

What we need is more STEM, but also a lot of the nearly-forgotten-in-the-first-world "basics", as the cheap energy and ubiquitous tech we take for granted now, won't be around when the kids being born today are adults. They're going to need to know how to smelt, blacksmith, farm, salvage, etc. We're going to need people who can repair solar panels, wind turbines, gas and electric engines/motors, while also being able to make "replacements" that can use whatever energy we're still able to produce without the petroleum infrastructure that isn't going to last forever.

I was thinking last night that you could blink away every fast food place, convenience store, and almost any other small-to-medium sized business and life would go on relatively unchanged. Blink away 1/2 of the gas stations in this country and the government would collapse in a month. And that shit ain't too far off in the best case scenario.
Your last statement, yea no. Life for most people would absolutely be changed without just fast food, unless you meant to specifically state only small (eg non chain type fast food, not even sure what that looks like to be honest, Bobs Burgers?) business? But lots of chain places are small business due to being a franchise.

Not even sure what to make of your gas station statement. Why not just say, well if you blink away half the power plants or what about half the dams, I mean what in the hell are you trying to say?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Your last statement, yea no. Life for most people would absolutely be changed without just fast food, unless you meant to specifically state only small (eg non chain type fast food, not even sure what that looks like to be honest, Bobs Burgers?) business? But lots of chain places are small business due to being a franchise.

Not even sure what to make of your gas station statement. Why not just say, well if you blink away half the power plants or what about half the dams, I mean what in the hell are you trying to say?
People without fast food will need to get to a grocery store to make their own food. Most likely they'll need to drive/be driven a bit farther.

Lose half the gas stations in this country and the country collapses within a month.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
People without fast food will need to get to a grocery store to make their own food. Most likely they'll need to drive/be driven a bit farther.

Lose half the gas stations in this country and the country collapses within a month.
So in your mind people that pretty much live off fast food are going to have to start making ALL their meals isn't a change? Mkay. But I'm sure our super stable supply chain would be able to handle this huge increase in demand at the supermarkets.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
So in your mind people that pretty much live off fast food are going to have to start making ALL their meals isn't a change? Mkay. But I'm sure our super stable supply chain would be able to handle this huge increase in demand at the supermarkets.
People having to make a change in how they eat their dinner isn't even close to the entire fucking country collapsing. But if you want to pick apart my two sentence thought experiment because I used the phrase "relatively unchanged" instead of "people'd have to go to the grocery store" or whatever, that's fine.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
People having to make a change in how they eat their dinner isn't even close to the entire fucking country collapsing. But if you want to pick apart my two sentence thought experiment because I used the phrase "relatively unchanged" instead of "people'd have to go to the grocery store" or whatever, that's fine.
Uh the entire supply chain almost did collopse because people thought covid meant they needed to stock up on TP. So yes, I have a problem with the term "relatively unchanged" because of the impact this would cause. People can live without gas for awhile, food not so much; shit would get ugly pretty fast.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Uh the entire supply chain almost did collopse because people thought covid meant they needed to stock up on TP. So yes, I have a problem with the term "relatively unchanged" because of the impact this would cause. People can live without gas for awhile, food not so much; shit would get ugly pretty fast.
Alright, fair enough.

You believe that society would collapse if fast food disappeared, I believe society will collapse if gasoline disappears. I''m obviously out of my mind.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Alright, fair enough.

You believe that society would collapse if fast food disappeared, I believe society will collapse if gasoline disappears. I''m obviously out of my mind.
I mean why not both? I'm not saying the latter wouldn't happen, but to say the former wouldn't change much is fine provided supply chains can manage, which as previously mentioned they are barely getting by right now.

Mar 11, 2004

Nah, its more of his asinine blindness of everything because what he refuses to understand is, the problem is the discipline those parents are likely to mete out is likely the source of the bad behavior to begin with, so he's just making it worse for all involved.

Mar 11, 2004
Arizona is one part old ass white retirees not wanting to fund any school. One part shitter GOP politics not wanting to fund immigrants education. Just a big pile of fuck you.

Eh, its like 51% sane rational people these days. Unfortunately that's just made the shitheads more vocal and for all the crazies to come out of the woodwork to "save Arizona".

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
It's sane in a vacuum.

Nah, its more of his asinine blindness of everything because what he refuses to understand is, the problem is the discipline those parents are likely to mete out is likely the source of the bad behavior to begin with, so he's just making it worse for all involved.

And you want all of that to be the responsibility of the teachers? At what point does a teacher say enough is enough. It's too bad kids have shitty parents, but the laws won't let anyone, especially educators, do anything about the home life. The poor teachers simply don't have the time or resources to help every needy child in the capacity that the kids need it. It's got to be pushed back onto the shitty parents one way or another through social work etc. something this country absolutely sucks at.

My point isn't to neglect kids, but to make an environment where at other kids interested in learning can do so without the major disruptions.

Reactions: Zorba

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Have to say, this has been a great thread! Quality material that used to be more common here in OT.