My website was just hacked!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
An NT/2k admin has to visit Microsoft Security Site every day to keep up to date. There is nothing inherently less secure as far as an OS goes. It's all a matter of network, server and data security as a combined effort. I guarantee if you were to put a Linux box behind a router with no ACL and no firewall in front of it, it would be hacked just as quickly as any Win2k server you could put out there. It's a comprehensive effort on several fronts that all lead to higher security, no one OS or platform will provide that, otherwise every business would run Linux and NEVER have to worry about getting hacked.

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000

<< Uh...actually, this attack was launched from a compromised Solaris box somewhere. It's an automated attack that scours the net for servers with a particular vulnerability. Funny thing about this hack is, it took a *nix based box being hacked first to hack a Win2k box running an unpatched version of IIS.

A system is only as good as it's admin, simple as that. That's not a knock against you Skoorb, that's a knock against the &quot;Use Linux&quot; people who popped in and against the Solaris server admin who didn't apply the patch on his Solaris box, effectively turning it into a hacker tool against Win2k. I can dig up tons of security vulnerabilities on Linux too.
>>

OMG. The same thing happened to me, except all the files were in the root dir.

damn, I don't even have a website on my server, I just use it as a file server to get some stuff from school.

I should go patch it anyway...

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Azraele,

Linux is as bloated, or unbloated as you want it to be.

Russ, NCNE