My university, DeVry, was fined $100m today by the FTC

Nov 8, 2012
Your choice of school and political choices does not surprise me in the least. It's also quite comical. Carry on, poor little child that doesn't yet understand the real world.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, that's a lot of money. Those places are a giant rip-off IMO, they cost more than community colleges with the same level of education and prey on vets and minorities who may not have as many options as others. Bringing the hammer down on some of these places is well warranted.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I always liked how their slogan in commercials was, "Reach for the sky!"

So... I'm about to be robbed?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't think this is exactly the kind of thing you'd be happy about revealing about your institution of higher education

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I know because when the kids can't hack it they run off to a public school so they can pass the classes and get their degree.

Yes, exactly. That's always how it goes, kids aspire to go to DeVry, but then realize that they just can't meet the rigorous academic standards and they drop out and are forced to go to places like UCLA, U of North Carolina, U of Michigan, U of Texas or Georgia Tech. Sad to see it when their dreams get crushed like that. :D

Looks like your username is accurate!

Reactions: Zorba

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I post in wrong thread, but it is good information nonetheless.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/15/pf/college/devry-settlement/index.html
Apparently someone filed a lawsuit for false advertising and the FTC carried the mantle for them leading to a settlement. I'm quite pleased with them myself and they were my first choice over other institutions in my area.
I went to Devry, and I learned my trade there. But.......
They had quite the scheme at least when I attended the Atlanta campus in the early 70's. They would accept anyone with a pulse. Seems most of those people also qualified for all kinds of Gubment assistance. They even had what they called a pre-math class for those that didn't have the math skills. These people would be lead on for a few quarters before they would finally fail out. So, I'm not surprised at all.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I went to Devry, and I learned my trade there. But.......
They had quite the scheme at least when I attended the Atlanta campus in the early 70's. They would accept anyone with a pulse. Seems most of those people also qualified for all kinds of Gubment assistance. They even had what they called a pre-math class for those that didn't have the math skills. These people would be lead on for a few quarters before they would finally fail out. So, I'm not surprised at all.
DeVry still prescreens placing according to test scores allowing you to start where your test scores show you belong. It also employs the European style learning these days and many people complain that it is too difficult. Many of my classes have multiple doctors teaching them which I find refreshing since I get more than one angle on a subject which keeps you on your toes. They also instituted a 3 fails and your out policy for poor performing students but they seem to be doing okay over at the Mormon owned Phoenix University. I've always felt like that if you couldn't be bothered to pass the first time that you should not be given indefinite tries.

I know people have biases towards different institutions and I was biased against certain public institutions after interacting with their graduates. People get out what they put in and too many people are interested in just passing classes so they can enjoy their lives around school. I respect educators irrespective of where they teach and will listen to them on any given subject when I am trying to learn. Just speaking from my own experience I wanted to attend a private university and that is how I ended up here. The last place I would go is to any institution owned and run by a religious organization. I started school in an overly strict Baptist run school and it was a disaster for me which I've I will never forget. The shaping they employed there was just too much and it turned young people into the religious fanatics you see waving bibles and yelling at people on street corners while waving signs disrespecting your person with their hate.