My turn to rant II: The idiots return!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So I'm taking customer calls today, since we have so many in the queue.I get a call from this customer, goes something like this:

Me: Hello, thank you for calling Qwest... Etc, etc, etc.
Customer: Yeah, I ordered this DSL, & I told this IDIOT that I didn't have a CD-ROM, & he sent me the wrong thing anyway!
Me: So we sent you CD's?
Customer: Yes! And I don't have a CD-ROM.
Me: OK, is this a laptop computer?
Customer: No.
Me: OK, then we have a couple of problems. First, we need a CD-ROM to load the drivers. Second, we require a Pentium 166 to run the hardware. Any computer that doesn't have a CD-ROM is likely too slow to run the hardware. Do you know how fast your computer is?
Customer: No, but it's one of the faster ones. It has that faster chip in it. Can you send me the software on disks?
Me: No, it's not available on anything but CD's. A CD is easier to produce, & costs less than a floppy ... And holds 450 times as much.
Customer: Would it be possible to copy it to disks?
Me: I suppose it could be done, if you found a computer with a CD-ROM & had the time & patience to split all the files up & put them on floppies.
Customer: Can you find someone to do that for me?
Me: No, we can't do that.
Customer: Well is there anyone I can talk to, like a manager?
Me: I can find you a supervisor, but I can guarantee you they'll tell you the same thing.
Customer: Well find me a supervisor, then, 'cause otherwise I don't want your service!

Why, why, why?

:|:|:|

Viper GTS

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Now, now, be calm. I would remind you that this goes both ways. Sometimes I get a little irritated when I have to explain what a ping or tracer route is when I call up US West tech support.:)

Russ, NCNE

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I can guarantee you wouldn't have to explain those things to me.

BTW, you're lucky you have 'net access... We have a gateway down in Seattle. I checked your account, you're on a different gateway.

Viper GTS

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
Maybe if you cut up the CD-Rom into pieces small enough to fit into his floppy drive he would be happy.

Sorry to hear about your problems Viper. :(

PH
:D

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
Russ hit the nail on the head really Viper. Whilst I'm sure you're a well educated, clued up tech-support-guy, it does work both ways. There are a hell of a lot of moronic tech support people out there ;)

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999

<< Me: OK, then we have a couple of problems. First, we need a CD-ROM to load the drivers. Second, we require a Pentium 166 to run the hardware. Any computer that doesn't have a CD-ROM is likely too slow to run the hardware. Do you know how fast your computer is?
Customer: No, but it's one of the faster ones. It has that faster chip in it. Can you send me the software on disks?
>>

By faster chip, does he mean 3d Doritoes compared to the painfully slow two dimensional version of the Doritoes? I would assume that A. He has no farkin idea what a CD-ROM drive is (The &quot;Hey maw, 'dese new kumpewtars have'em cup holderses fer' ma' cohffay cup!&quot; Syndrome) or B. He thinks that a 3x86 is blazingly fast. Maybe he bought a 3x86 on ebay under the false impression that it was 386MHz. Something is strange that he doesn't have a CD-ROM but has a &quot;faster chip&quot; for a CPU...maybe he doesn't realize that the CD-ROM drive even opens at all?? He doesn't sound like a computer whiz...so I wouldn't put it past him.

Oh well, you get paid to deal with people like these, so suck it up, and bitch about it during break time and here. ;)

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
sounds like you were dealing with a mental troglodyte that was used to having someone else do all their thinking. Lord help 'em when they have to muster the grey cells to generate orignal thoughts; then they blame someone else for their mistakes. If there's any justice, this person actually has an e-machine with a 14&quot; monitor and mouse that only works in one direction, with a 9600 modem so that we won't have to deal with them on the Net.

on your part, perhaps you need to increase your Darvaset dosage so that you can keep your sanity when dealing with knuckle-heads. ;)

j/k

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd bet her computer does have a CD-ROM but her damn coffee mug is resting in the CD tray right now;)

-GL

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
This is the kind of thing that made me get out of computer Customer/Field Service.

Had to drive over 110 miles one night to PLUG IN a peripheral device after asking on the initial call if the power light was on asd was it plugged in and got a yes. Another time a customers floppy drive wasnt working ( the big old 10-12&quot; jobs) and found out that they were keeping the disks held on the side of a file cabinet with a magnet. I could go on and on, nothing new. Train these people or at least get them to RTFB.
An impossible task.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I don't think we need to worry about this particular idiot, he probably wouldn't know an internet connection if it bit him in the ass.

:D

Viper GTS

Eeks

Dec 8, 1999
&quot;and found out that they were keeping the disks held on the side of a file cabinet with a magnet&quot;

LOL
that guy is the perfect idiot!

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Lesson = Never be a tech :D
or at least carry a whip when you do on site service :p

BTW Viper; a smarter idea would have been to never mention the disks
i.e &quot;We can't do that cuz we don't have floppies&quot;
95% guarantee he's either gonna hang up :)