My system got screwed by DirectX 8.1

JayDeeAr

Sep 10, 2001
Well, not totally screwed, but it's giving me a headache and I am not quite sure how to solve it.

I installed DX 8.1 (Build 648) some time ago and it was working just fine. I thought I could just continue using it until a new build pops up somewhere or Microsoft releasing the final version. God was I wrong.

A couple of days ago it totally started acting up. Every time I run an application using DirectDraw it will tell me "This pre-release version of DirectX has expried, please upgrade to the newest version from http://www.microsoft.com/directx", but the newest version there is 8.0a, so that would be more of a downgrade.

Of course I tried if that would solve my problem, but it doesn't. DXdiag still says it's version 8.1. Hell, it didn't even ask me to reboot after I installed it - normally there's is like no way around that, if you you try :)

Help is greatly appreciated.

rky60

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
You could install beta build 682 (www.abitboy.com has it), that should fix it. Or you could try a Dx uninstaller, which is what i did for that very same problem. Or you could reformat which is what i did several days after using the Dx uninstaller. I forget where i got the Dx uninstaller from, i'm sure someone will know. Anyone?

JayDeeAr

Sep 10, 2001
Wasn't DX 8.1 scheduled to be released before August? Thanks for the link man, I'll try that out. I wanna refrain from using one of those infamous DX-uninstallers though, as I like my system working :)

Grant

Oct 9, 1999
I was having the same problem and beating my head against the wall didn't help.

Thanks for the help