My Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer won't fit on my 680i - suggestions?

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007

Well first, if you don't know about the Core-Contact Freezer, it's only $40 and it out performs all others in Temps and not too bad on Noise either!

So, the Heatsink obviously knocks into the large passive chipset apparatus on the 680i motherboard. It only needs to go down maybe half an inch to be seated on the CPU but it just won't make it.

Seeing as the cooling is all one piece, I'll need to replace both the North and Southbridge coolers.

I was thinking about This for the northbridge, if it can be mounted where the pipe faces downward as it looks in the pictures.

There's also this and this I was considering just for the price. I really want this build quiet though, and have opted for Noctua's all the way around plus a nearly silent PSU.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
Originally posted by: mpilchfamily
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just use another CPU cooler.

They are all pretty much the same size unless he goes for a smaller (92mm) HDT heatsink.
Best to go for something from xoxide as I wouldn't trust a modern chipset with those tiny aluminum heatsinks from geeks.

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Thanks for the replies...

First this is a BFG 680i 775 motherboard. I believe all of them (EVGA, BFG, XFX, etc.) just take the Nvidia reference board and run with it, virtually using the same cooling and everything.
It wouldn't be cheaper for me to buy another cooler because I've already purchased this, plus it's about the best...

After doing further research, it seems as if performance-pcs.com are selling those little fanned-aluminum heatsinks branded under EVGA - and they advertise as the perfect upgrade if your going with water-cooling. So they couldn't be that bad could they? I hope not, I've already ordered them from geeks. I'd still rather figure out if the Thermaltake ones could work because I really want to go as quiet as possible, I've designed the whole system around quiet computing, I'd hate to screw it up by using two noisy little fans that don't do hardly anything.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: DerwenArtos12
I was thinking the exact same thing as Aigomorla, what case is this whole mess in?

seriously tho.

The IFX-14 is like 2x the size of the sunbeam. So i dont understand why it wont fit.

If possible pictures would help.

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Yeah I guess I could rotate it 90 degrees, I really don't want it 'blowing' upwards toward a PSU with no intake fan though

This system is in an Antec NSK4480, so it's somewhat cramped. I've been thinking about the Antec 300 though, looks nice and has a top-mounted 140mm fan that would allow me to mount it at a 90 degree shift.

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Ah, ok that does make a big difference. A lot of modern cases have the PSU below the motherboard and an exhaust at the top, which would have made the rotation an easy solution. Unfortunately, in your situation, it wouldn't work to your benefit to turn it. The BFG is a refrence design board so the HR-05 IFX SLI should fit but, be mindful to keep enough clearance between it and your video card and you are more than likely going to lose the usability of your top PCIe 1x connector in the process.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Hi -- haven't visited here for several weeks.

Depending on your case: If you have dual 120mm exhaust fan ports, you could duct the cooler with an elbow-duct made of foam-board or Lexan. Foam-art-board is easy to work with and I see less than an hour's work under such a regime.

If there is only a single 120mm exhaust port in the case, you might be able to mount the fan (with a custom jerry-rigged bracket) to sit against the narrow edge of the cooler, and then build a duct-box around it ported to the 120mm exhaust of your case.

then there's another option if you can duct the cooler to a box surrounding the PSU, although this would make the PSU slightly warmer.

VERY INTERESTING REVIEW ON THIS SUNBEAMTECH Core-Contact Freezer. It points up the variation in comparison reviews. Benchmark Reviews published a comparison of the TR Ultra 120 Extreme and an OCZ Vendetta 2, showing that the Vendetta 2 trumped the TR cooler. Here, the TR trumps the Vendetta 2, and the SunbeamTech Core-Contact Freezer trumps both of 'em.

So the question is . . . . . "with which reviews do you feel assured and comfortable, punk? Do you feel lucky, punk? This here cooler . . . . is the most powerful cooler in the West . . . . and will blow your processor-cap clean off!!"

EDIT: I'm looking at these new reviews. The review cited by the OP shows the TR Ultra 120 trumping the TR Ultra 120 Extreme. I know from my own testing and experience with both coolers that this is impossible. Even so, given the Anandtech review of the Tuniq, and the Core-Contact Freezer's extra heatpipe (the OCZ Vendetta2 only has three), it may be worth the $40 "just to find out." [But it used to be the case that . . . SOMEWHERE . . . . you could find comparison reviews that were consistent and reliable. And I always said: "Get multiple comparison reviews and compare the rankings to make sure that any one is reliable and consistent."]

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
BonzaiDuck, that was... interesting.

I don't really mind losing the PCI x1 slot, but I'm really considering another case, one in which I could rotate it. I'll post pics soon though to show you everything.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I had a similar problem due to a different -- but similar situation.

My ASUS (Striker Extreme) board had a proprietary audio riser and card -- north of the PCI-Ex16 slot closest to the processor, and southwest of the processor. I put a TR HR-03 Plus cooler on the 8800 GTS card. The ducting design required hanging the HR-03 fins over the back (top) of the video card -- on the CPU side. I had measured everything -- I thought -- to within a millimeter, and was SURE that the riser card would clear the cooler. I even thought that I might be able to trim some material off the fins if it didn't clear.

But no cigar. I broke down and bought a PCI X-Fi Fatal1ty.

The idea was to leave open the option of two GTS cards in SLI, each using an x16 slot. Not only will this be difficult to realize now, but I just don't think it's necessary. Soon, I'll probably spring for a 9x00 GX2 card -- or even just a 9600 GT.

Wanting to put all sorts of goodies in various slots, I think one gets to the point where complexity causes more trouble than it's worth, and a person is better off building another computer and putting them all on a gigabit ethernet.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
listen to the duck on ducts.

he knows ducts as well as i know water. :p

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yo, Aigo . .

My graduation to water has been seriously delayed. I think I explained why last year.

I've been watching the results posted on forums with the E8400 processor. For the low power and amazing OC'ability, I can scrape up the pennies for one and delay some more.

There's plenty of foam board and lexan in my garage . . . :D

Karlzbad

May 29, 2008
Where did you find the core-contact in stock on or before 6/22? NCIX still seems to be the only place with them. $15 shipping for me :(

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
performance-pcs.com has them in stock right now ;)

Anyhow, I eventually gave up and purchased another cooler :(

Even after all that, and lots of hacking on my case with a Dremel, it was just a HUGE Pain! I'm sure it would have been a nice one...

Oh well, thanks and let her die now...

Karlzbad

May 29, 2008
Originally posted by: Liberator21
performance-pcs.com has them in stock right now ;)

Anyhow, I eventually gave up and purchased another cooler :(

Even after all that, and lots of hacking on my case with a Dremel, it was just a HUGE Pain! I'm sure it would have been a nice one...

Oh well, thanks and let her die now...

Sold Out now :(