My spelling has gotten more and more sloppy thx to spell check

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm the same, it's kinda bad really how reliant I've become on spell check. Sometimes if I'm writing in a situation that has no spell check I actually need to double check my spelling using a spell checker. To make matters worse, my French spelling has gotten so bad now too and it takes me more effort, I often forget how to spell certain things, or grammar stuff. I force myself though. There are situations where I could get away with typing in English such as sending network flashes, but I usually do it in French if it's for Quebec. Technical terms can be tricky in French, sometimes I'll just throw in the English term... even the Quebec techs sometimes do it lol.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm a pretty fair speller, generally. Certain words elude me. Quite a few of those are French words commonly used in English contexts. For example:

hors d'oeuvre
bourgeois
connoisseur
Chanteuse
Rendezvous
avant-garde
camouflage
à propos

I have a data table of words that I have had trouble with at one time or another. It has 72 entries at the moment. I've been building it for just over 20 years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kaido and JEDI

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Certain words elude me. I'm a pretty fair speller, generally. Quite a few of those are French words commonly used in English contexts. For example:

hors d'oeuvre
bourgeois
connoisseur
Chanteuse
Rendezvous
avant-garde
camouflage
à propos

I have a data table of words that I have had trouble with at one time or another. It has 72 entries at the moment. I've been building it for just over 20 years.

Ah yes, à propos to being connoisseur of bourgeois hors d'oeuvres, I showed up to my rendezvous in camouflage while enjoying the evening's avant-garde chanteuse performance!

Reactions: Muse

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The ultimate is when you are so far off in your spelling that spell checkers or even Google don't have a clue what you are trying to spell.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The ultimate is when you are so far off in your spelling that spell checkers or even Google don't have a clue what you are trying to spell.
I hate that. It happens for me sometimes and I have to figure out how to get the bots on board!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ah yes, à propos to being connoisseur of bourgeois hors d'oeuvres, I showed up to my rendezvous in camouflage while enjoying the evening's avant-garde chanteuse performance!
And I would like to learn French. I have to wonder how I can/could manage that with the difficulty I have just spelling the few French words I know!

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I hate that. It happens for me sometimes and I have to figure out how to get the bots on board!
Desperation move, enter a word with the same meaning, they look up synonyms.

Reactions: Muse
Nov 17, 2019
You don't have to be far off. Toss in an oddball character like thi5 or may8e and they wo9n't get flagged.