My shoulder "clicks" when I raise my arm laterally

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by enwar3, Nov 17, 2008.

1. enwar3

enwar3 Golden Member

So after I started doing lateral raises I noticed my left shoulder now "clicks" into place when I raise my arm. And I don't think this is how it's supposed to be. Should I do anything to address this issue? I've added some rotator cuff stuff to my workouts over the last week but it hasn't really had an impact. Should I just not do lateral raises (they're kind of an important exercise for shoulders, though).

2. DomS

DomS Banned

Both mine have done that for as long as I've lived. Haven't noticed a problem.

3. SociallyChallenged

Go to the orthopedist to see what they think. It could be shoulder impingement or something of the like. Also, you're not going to strengthen your rotator cuff in one week. It takes at least a month to start seeing results for muscles so small (there's a neurological development stage and a muscular development stage after). Continue to do that and consult with the orthopedist soon. Don't continue to ignore it.

4. TheSeaward

TheSeaward Junior Member

I'm not physical therapist, but sounds like shoulder impingement. Make sure when you are doing front raises with dumbbells you point your thumbs upwards (instead of the back of the hand upwards). Take it easy on the arms extended exercises for a while until it feels better and see a physical therapist if you have the means.

5. presidentender

presidentender Golden Member

Why? I disagree, and googling for dumbbell lateral raises is mute (although all the demos have the back of the hand up). What's your reasoning here?

6. enwar3

enwar3 Golden Member

Well it doesn't exactly hurt, but it definitely clicks. Actually, come to think of it it did hurt right when it started. It only happens on one shoulder though....

I'm asking because I've heard of rotator cuff injuries putting people out of the gym for months (!!!!). Definitely want to avoid that.

7. SociallyChallenged

It's a direct exercise for the rotator cuff. It is often used in physical therapy clinics as a basic exercise to start strengthening. It's not a dumbbell lateral raise. It is more of a diagonal one, in between raising it forward in front of you and laterally to your sides. Also, you have to make sure not to raise your shoulders past 90 degrees.

8. SociallyChallenged

Clicks can be indicative of injuries. You need to get it checked out before that happens. I didn't and I've been out for some months now.

9. skace

skace Lifer

My left shoulder clicks if my form fucks up or I try to lift more weight than I can handle. I'm not saying that's your case or that my shoulder is even working properly, but that is my experience.

10. eddiebravo

eddiebravo Senior member

actually, the thumb should be facing down, like you are pouring out a glass of water. you then raise your arms sort of at at 45 degree angle(towards 10 oclock and 2 oclock).

11. presidentender

I think these guys mean for PT-specific stuff, not in general.

12. eddiebravo

eddiebravo Senior member

i am talking about PT specific stuff as well. the proper way to do that rehab/prehab exercise is for your thumbs to face down. if you dont believe me just do a search for rotator cuff exercises and i guarantee the exercise i am describing will be listed 9 times out of 10, and that you will NEVER see a recommendation to point your thumbs upward.

i just did the search myself:

http://www.premiererehab.org/f...tatorCuffExercises.pdf
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/980215a.html
    http://familydoctor.org/online...ical/injuries/265.html
    http://www.thetrainingstationi...or-cuff-exercises.html
    http://frank.mtsu.edu/~wwhiteh...jects/rotatorcuff.html
    http://physicaltherapy.about.c...ises/p/RCexercises.htm

13. Atty

Atty Golden Member

Mine do in pretty much any direction, never had a problem, and out of the group of guys at my gym that I'm friends, with I've got the stronger shoulders with the clicking, so I don't think it's hindered my growth at all.

14. presidentender

I do mine with thumbs down, and make the "tea pouring" motion at the peak (a la Frank Zane). But I think the previous posters have some experience with PT, which colors their responses. In general, you're absolutely right; perhaps you're even right about PT, and I just don't know what's going on.

15. SociallyChallenged

Yeah, I agree. I don't know if I misread that or just forgot to mention. Thumbs are always down for these exercises. Unsure as to where I got lost in saying that.

16. Blieb

Blieb Diamond Member

The biggest thing is ...

Is it causing discomfort or pain?

My shoulders have clicked in the past when doing certain exercises. If I slightly adjusted my form, often times it would go away, so that is the form I would stick with (unless grossly mis-guided).