My Seasonic S12II Bronze does not match specs!

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
I'm trying to put together a dual CPU build, and I realized that my Seasonic S12II does not have the connectors that their website says it should. I purchased it from Newegg last August.

Here is their website:
http://www.seasonicusa.com/S12II-Bronze.htm

Here is a list of the connectors I have:
mainpower 20/24: YES - mine matches spec.
EPS 12v ATX 12v 8/4 pin YES - mine matches spec.
EPS 12V 8 pin NO - my supply does not have this
Peripheral 4pin - specs say 6 plugs, I have 4!!!
SATA - specs say 6 plugs, I have 8!!!
FDD - specs say 2 via a w adapter - I have directly from the power supply, I also have a Y adapter that may be from Seasonic
PCI-E 6/8 pin YES - mine matches spec.
PCI-E 6 pin NO - my supply has a second PCI-E 6/8 pin

I also noticed that in the Jonny Guru review of this power supply, all of the cords are covered in braiding, on mine only the mainpower wires are covered in braiding.

I found this thread indicating that there was a change a while back in this unit:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2387162&highlight=s12ii+seasonic

I understand that over the life of a product, specs change. I think they should change the model number when it does - add a letter B or something. It may be more work for vendors (for Newegg to have a new product with the letter B), but how else can I get what I want to get? And now, months or ever years later their website is WRONG!

Note that for almost everyone, the extra SATA plugs at the expense of peripheral are welcome. And for lots of people, the replacement of a PCI-E 6 with a 6/8 may be helpful. But not for me. And the website should be correct regardless.

I emailed Seasonic, will report back the response.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
What exact model do you have (according to the label on the unit)? A photo would be nice too.

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to post a picture.

Below are some numbers on the power supply. Not sure which is the model number:
BGB528BGP13W
SS-520GB Active PFC F3
(FDB Fan) (S12IIBronze)

It looks like I just can use a PCI-E 6 pin to EPS adapter like the below. I only need a single PCI-E plug for my GTX960 motherboard, and currently I have 2 * PCI-E 6/8 plugs.
http://www.amazon.com/Express-female-sleeved-genuine-Angeles/dp/B002UNVXUQ

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to post a picture.

You can upload it to an image sharing site such as imgur.com and then paste the BBCode link (which uses IMG tags) in your post, or just paste the image URL (ending in .jpg, .png or other image file extension) to the Insert Image popup:

BbQfsql.png

Below are some numbers on the power supply. Not sure which is the model number:
BGB528BGP13W
SS-520GB Active PFC F3
(FDB Fan) (S12IIBronze)

Hmm, SS-520GB is indeed the same model number. There's probably a new revision out, the reviewed unit's fan uses a ball bearing, not an FDB (fluid dynamic bearing, probably not authentic but just a rifle bearing).

Newegg still advertises the old specs though, including the ball bearing fan. I wonder if that's accurate now, i.e. if the ones they have in stock are different from what you bought in August.

Related to the possible revision change, I noticed the unit's warranty in some places (here in Finland) went down from 5 years to 3 years. I noticed this about a month ago, but it could've happened earlier as well. In any case, it would be congruent with the change in fan specs, often the reliablity of the fan bearing used correlates with warranty length in power supplies.

Eagerly awaiting Seasonic's response to your email. Normally they reply pretty quickly...

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I actually ordered this power supply a couple of months ago from Jet.com, but I came across a document while searching that showed it wasn't Haswell ready. Only the 620w versions and up were for whatever reason.

I guess it is a pretty old model and I was able to cancel my order before it shipped. I ended up paying a little more and got a EVGA G2 for $80 after rebate.

I wish it would've worked for my build and I could have saved the $25.

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
Walter from Seasonic responded. He said "The 2nd EPS 12V connector is normally used for higher end MB systems which needs a power supply that put out more than 520w. That is why the 520w unit has now only 1x CPU cable. "

He also said they don't have a solution for a second CPU cable, but they are available online. And he acknowledged the changes to the SATA / molex connectors to match market conditions - which I certainly agree with.

So, it is nice to be acknowledged. I'm going to recommend they update the website to be correct. My PCIe 6 pin to EPS connector is in the mail, may arrive today. So I should be all set.

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
I got another response from a different support person. This one said I could RMA the power supply and request a refurbished version one power supply. I'll be keeping mine, but it was nice to get the offer.

Also, apparently that website seasonicusa.com is supposed to be taken down.