My Proposal for an alternative to (and improvement over) heatware

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
If there is sufficient interest in this topic, I'm seriously considering building it. Here's what I'd plan to do:

Instead of keeping feedback about people, I'd keep feedback about trades. This might be a tad hard to explain, but I'll try. Instead of one user leaving feedback about another and vice versa, one user would open up a new trade. This trade would require input from both involved parties before it would be finalized.

When a user opened up a new trade, he'd leave complete feedback for the other user. He would identify the trade by the buyer and seller's names, and the item(s) being traded. After the trade was opened by one user, it would become a pending trade, and the other party would be notified by email that he had a trade pending. He could then log in and complete his evaluation of the person who opened the trade.

The interesting part: when a person goes to complete a trade opened by someone else, he cannot view their feedback of him until the trade has been finalized. He must leave his feedback w/o seeing what the other person wrote about him. This should eliminate people refusing to leave negative feedback based on fear of retalitory negative feedback. Once the trade has been completed by both parties, it will be viewable to everyone on heatware.

When looking up a user's profile on heatware, you would be able to see how many pending trades that user had. If the user was refusing to complete his trades because of fear of negative feedback, it would show up as pending. Therefore, a high number of pending trades on a user's profile would be a bad thing. This would also encourage users to make sure that they left feedback for everyone once a trade was opened.

Finally, no one could open up a new trade with a user who alreday has a trade pending with the same user. This would prevent someone from registering and starting 100 new trades with you. They couldn't start the 2nd one until the first one had been resolved.

Also, the method by which evaluations were made would be changed. Trades would be evaluated in three seperate ares (promptness, shipping, communication) based on an A-F scale. The three would also be averaged to form an overall rating. (shipping would have an N/A option in cases where one party simply sent paypal). I think this would provide a better method of evaluating a user, as you could see if they're jsut slow, or if they have a problem with shipping things in paper envelopes.

The biggest obstacle to a project like this is that it has to compete against heatware, which already has an established user base. However, if this system is superior (and I think it would be) I think it would be worth starting over with a clean record.

Anyone have any comments on this sytem?

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I think its a great idea, but its also a huge undertaking. The only flaw I see is a user opening a new trade if they get negative, so the other has a pending sitting out there. There would have to be a way for a user to dispute a pending trade with substantial evidence that a trade never occured.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
I think its a great idea, but its also a huge undertaking. The only flaw I see is a user opening a new trade if they get negative, so the other has a pending sitting out there. There would have to be a way for a user to dispute a pending trade with substantial evidence that a trade never occured.

Yes, there would be a method of removing a pending trade that never happened, but I haven't come up with the exact way to implement it yet. Also, a single pending trade shouldn't be constred a a bad thing, becuase that would happen everytime someone opens up a trade until the other person responds. One or two pnding trades would be pretty normal.

Wduaqnug

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2002
You have too much time on your hands. Heatware is perfect for now and if you have an idea maybe it can be added to heatware, pm heat23

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
I like the idea. Heatware is far from perfect. heat23 or whoever did a great job, but there are areas that need improvement (a couple of the issues are in notfred's other post :p)

Dhawk

Oct 9, 1999
It's hard enough getting trader's to participate in heatware properly as it is. You are now suggesting a system that is much more complicated and requires a greater amount of time and participation. I applaud your concept and ambition, but I think you would have a hard time getting all of our trading community to go along with it and work it the way you envision.

The second inherent problem is that for a year or so, everyone would be starting at ground zero with your system and would negate all the Heatware evals some of us have slowly built up over the last couple of years. It is unlikely that traders are going to want to check another trader?s status on more than one place.

I think the best solution would be to tweak the existing heatware system (software/site) to overcome some of its shortcomings. Perhaps Heat would be open to some volunteer help and suggestions with his site?

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
You have too much time on your hands. Heatware is perfect for now and if you have an idea maybe it can be added to heatware, pm heat23

the best way to make heatware work is to have a 3rd party verifier for any negative heatware. that requires a time investment from someone, but that would be the way to do it.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Dhawk
It's hard enough getting trader's to participate in heatware properly as it is. You are now suggesting a system that is much more complicated and requires a greater amount of time and participation. I applaud your concept and ambition, but I think you would have a hard time getting all of our trading community to go along with it and work it the way you envision.

The second inherent problem is that for a year or so, everyone would be starting at ground zero with your system and would negate all the Heatware evals some of us have slowly built up over the last couple of years. It is unlikely that traders are going to want to check another trader?s status on more than one place.

I think the best solution would be to tweak the existing heatware system (software/site) to overcome some of its shortcomings. Perhaps Heat would be open to some volunteer help and suggestions with his site?

I am sure he would be open to some help, but how easy would it be to get a working solution to the problem? The solution notfred introduced helps take care of my authentication/verification issues (although its not perfect, its damn good) and helps take care of the "Im too scared to tell you what I really think" problem. Incorporating such fixes into the current heatware system may be very tough and not worth the time and effort. I really dont know though, since I have nothing to do with heatware's development and Im not a developer ;)