My plan to deal with illegal immigrants.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Our goal should be the deportation of all illegal immigrants and the opening of immigration quotas to replace 80 percent of them with legal immigrants.

First we secure the borders.
Second we impose a tax on all new immigrants. It would be a progressive tax with lesser amounts on low income earners and would last for say 5 years.
Third every penny of this tax goes to pay for securing the borders AND seeking out and deporting illegal immigrants.
Fourth we set up a system where people who turn in illegal immigrants recieve an immigration slot for legal immigrants. Say you turn in 5 illegal immigrants you get to allow one family member or friend from another country to immigrate to the US.
Fifth we adjust the allowed immigration quotas to coincide with the numbers being deported (at a rate of 80 percent as mentioned before).

With a total of 8 million new legal immigrants replacing the 10 million illegals already here we would also be helping the lowest paid Americans by making cheap labor marginally scarcer. This would increase pay at the lowest levels AND reduce government benefits like Medicaid.

Voila! We have replaced illegal immigrants with legal immigrants, kept the workforce intact AND it cost current Americans nothing.

What do ya think?

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
That is so horrible.

A tax on new immigrants? "Sorry, but your pals are breaking the law, so we're going to fine YOU instead." Uh huh.

An exchange program? Oh my god. There's a reason why these things don't exist in the real world. This isn't some kind of game where you get the most illegals you can to try and increase your score!

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
The problem is people are against mass immigration. They don't care if there are 10 million illegal mexicans here or 10 million legal mexicans here. They just want no or very few mexicans.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: smack Down
The problem is people are against mass immigration. They don't care if there are 10 million illegal mexicans here or 10 million legal mexicans here. They just want no or very few mexicans.

I agree with everything you said, with the exception of the last sentence. It's not that Americans don't want any Mexicans in the country, it just so happens that the Mexicans have the easier crossing method into this country than many of our own ancestors could enjoy.
My own ancestors came to this country as immigrants (as I'm sure most everyone here could say), but instead of simply being able to walk across the border from their home country, they had to sail here, and arrive in NYC. Before coming here, they had to apply for, and receive permission to immigrate.......and if they'd showed up in NYC, they would have been put back on the boat, back to the "home country", at the earliest opportunity. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. My ancestors took the time to do things right, got permission to immigrate, came here, and integrated themselves into American society, learned the language, and worked for their wage (without putting their hand out for free anything).
Now zip to the present day. Mexicans have over 1000 miles of (mostly) unprotected border to cross, and for the most part, can walk across with relative ease. Granted, some might take offense at that statement, and talk about the 30 miles (or whatever) of hot desert landscape they have to cross, without any water available to them, that threatens to kill them while they're crossing. To those people I say why should I pity someone who can't follow the simple rules that are set in place, and cross my border illegally? Bottom line?....I shouldn't!!

What to do about 10 million gazillion illegal aliens in this country? First off, cut off ALL public assistance to them. There's no reason in the world why I (or anyone else) should be wasting our tax dollars helping out someone who's here illegally. Second, stop the foolish notion that someone who comes to my country illegally, and has a baby, then has the right to stay here because their baby is a legal resident of my country, simply because their illegal alien mother delivered them here. Finally, ease up the restrictions that make it so difficult for our Mexican neighbors to immigrate legally. If we make it easier for them to come here legally, and make it more miserable for those who come here illegally, maybe we can reverse the trend we're in now.

This all, of course, is my opinion. And we know what they're like, don't we?? ;)

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
300 million people is enough?
For demographic reasons (the baby boom) we need some immigration.
And the 10 million illegals here are working. Completely take them away and it would be a huge disruption of the economy.
Which is why I propose replacing every 10 deported with 8 legal immigrants. Who will learn our language and become Americanized at about the same speed as our forefathers. In fact without the 10 million illegals the legal immigrants will probably assimilate far faster.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: marvdmartian

My own ancestors came to this country as immigrants (as I'm sure most everyone here could say), but instead of simply being able to walk across the border from their home country, they had to sail here, and arrive in NYC. Before coming here, they had to apply for, and receive permission to immigrate.......and if they'd showed up in NYC, they would have been put back on the boat, back to the "home country", at the earliest opportunity. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. My ancestors took the time to do things right, got permission to immigrate,

You might want to know that the above is total bunk, there were no restrictions at all, (excpet for chinamen) nor any quotas until 1921.

No lines, no list, no applications, just show up and meet the requirements of health at ellis island and you were handed citizenship and let go on your merry way.

It was not until white folks had finished coming here when klanner types pushed through the quota act to keep eastern europeans and mexicans out as they were a "lesser breed" compared to western europeans, or so they said.

If your white ancestors came here before or during ww1 they did pretty much walk right in.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: techs
And the 10 million illegals here are working. Completely take them away and it would be a huge disruption of the economy.
Which is why I propose replacing every 10 deported with 8 legal immigrants. Who will learn our language and become Americanized at about the same speed as our forefathers. In fact without the 10 million illegals the legal immigrants will probably assimilate far faster.

Such a waste of money, just legalize the ones here and problem solved, no breaking up families and the human rights nitemare of deporting children and families into one of the most unforgiving deserts in the world to die.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
If the powers to be actually felt illegal immigration was hurting USA, there is a very simple, cheap (maybe even self funding) solution readily available. Subject employers hiriing illegals to forfeiture of assets laws similar to those used in drug cases. You can be darn sure that employers would become proactive about not violating the law if it hit them hard in the pocketbook. Would you risk your California mansion to hire an illegal maid? Your construction company or chicken processing plant? Cut the demand and the supply of illegal immigrants would dry up. US workers would benefit by not competing with those hired at illegal wage levels. US taxpayers wouldn't have to pay for social services for the illegal immigrants.

A totally fair solution that puts the cost of the remedy on those exploiting the system. But it will never happen in a million years.

Why? Simple, too many US businesses (that fund your Congressperson's campaign chest) have a strong vested financial interest in having a large pool of low paid workers.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you just shot people sneaking across the border other people would be afraid to come here. Fear does work.

Another option could be a chain gang. Make them work for nothing in prison camps. They are not citizens and have no rights.

Banzai042

Jul 25, 2005
One of the main problems that we need to address with any immigration reform is how difficult it is for somebody to get into the country legally, it's easy to say that we need to keep illegals out, and I even think that we should take very strong measures to stop illegal immigration, but if we make them wait in line for months to talk to the peoron who will give them the form to fill out so they can apply to come in they probably aren't as inclined to wait as we would want.

JacobJ

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Your goal has one major flaw:

It is based on punishing people who are attempting to find a better life.

Instead of punishing them, we should encourage them to build a better life in a way that suits BOTH of us.

We should create a dialogue with them. Instead of building a $100 billion wall, why not spend $100 billion on economic development and investment in countries such as mexico? Instead of punishing people, why don't we ask them why they are coming here -- and then work to eliminate those reasons right at the source of the problem.

Doing such things takes a lot of courage and strength, however. It is difficult to talk to people when there is so much natural prejudice against them. But without dialogue, things WILL get worse. Building a wall will keep them out. Shooting them will keep them out. But in the end, keeping them out isn't what we should be concerned about -- we should be concerned about building a better world.

That starts with looking at the root of the problem. Seriously...why are people coming here? They're NOT thinking "hey, I'm going to go to the US so I can destroy its culture and its economy." Of course not. That wouldn't be rational. What ARE they thinking? Why do people come here? If we can answer that question, we can work with them and their governments to eliminate their reasions for coming in the first place.

shamgar03

Jul 13, 2004
Originally posted by: smack Down

Agreed, as to the plan, its rather machiavellian and to be honest I don't think it solves the root of the problem which is the horrible conditions in mexico. It did at least show so problem solving though...

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: JacobJ

It is based on punishing people who are attempting to find a better life.

Instead of punishing them, we should encourage them to build a better life in a way that suits BOTH of us.

We should create a dialogue with them. Instead of building a $100 billion wall, why not spend $100 billion on economic development and investment in countries such as mexico? Instead of punishing people, why don't we ask them why they are coming here -- and then work to eliminate those reasons right at the source of the problem.

Doing such things takes a lot of courage and strength, however. It is difficult to talk to people when there is so much natural prejudice against them. But without dialogue, things WILL get worse. Building a wall will keep them out. Shooting them will keep them out. But in the end, keeping them out isn't what we should be concerned about -- we should be concerned about building a better world.

That starts with looking at the root of the problem. Seriously...why are people coming here? They're NOT thinking "hey, I'm going to go to the US so I can destroy its culture and its economy." Of course not. That wouldn't be rational. What ARE they thinking? Why do people come here? If we can answer that question, we can work with them and their governments to eliminate their reasions for coming in the first place.
I think the answer in regards to Mexicans is pretty simple. Its the money.
I have no animosity against any Mexican who illegaly came to the US to escape crushing poverty to provide for his family. In fact, if Americans would get off their high horse, they might admit that they too would probably take advantage of the lax border security to escape crushing poverty.
I believe a huge majority of Mexicans only came to America to feed their families, pay for medical care, etc. And I use the huge amounts of money sent back to their families in Mexico as evidence. I don't think, as I believe many do, that illegal Mexican immigrants are sitting back and enjoying the "good life" in America and laughing at us.
I believe they came out of desperation. The same desperation that would have caused my ancestors to cross a border to give their children something better than abject poverty and an early death.
My plan allows 8 million Mexicans to immigrate legally.

imported_45acp

Jun 13, 2006
With your plan, why not go ahead and tax all the prisoners that are locked up and turn them out as being legal also.

That's really not much of a plan. What we need is to pack them up, send them home and let them come here the legal way. ;)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Our goal should be the deportation of all illegal immigrants and the opening of immigration quotas to replace 80 percent of them with legal immigrants.

First we secure the borders.
Second we impose a tax on all new immigrants. It would be a progressive tax with lesser amounts on low income earners and would last for say 5 years.
Third every penny of this tax goes to pay for securing the borders AND seeking out and deporting illegal immigrants.
Fourth we set up a system where people who turn in illegal immigrants recieve an immigration slot for legal immigrants. Say you turn in 5 illegal immigrants you get to allow one family member or friend from another country to immigrate to the US.
Fifth we adjust the allowed immigration quotas to coincide with the numbers being deported (at a rate of 80 percent as mentioned before).

With a total of 8 million new legal immigrants replacing the 10 million illegals already here we would also be helping the lowest paid Americans by making cheap labor marginally scarcer. This would increase pay at the lowest levels AND reduce government benefits like Medicaid.

Voila! We have replaced illegal immigrants with legal immigrants, kept the workforce intact AND it cost current Americans nothing.

What do ya think?

As is the same story with most of your other posts what are you smoking? lol

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird
If you just shot people sneaking across the border other people would be afraid to come here. Fear does work.

Another option could be a chain gang. Make them work for nothing in prison camps. They are not citizens and have no rights.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JacobJ

Mexico is beyond repair. Rampant massive corruption on all levels, from traffic police to their army. Giving them 100 billion is like throwing money into the ocean with their corruption. Drug cartels is their major corporation. Their idea of a working economy is feeding on other people's economy.

Mexico will always be a mess because its people rather escape to USA than revolt against their own country. What a shame.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Steeplerot

Such a waste of money, just legalize the ones here and problem solved, no breaking up families and the human rights nitemare of deporting children and families into one of the most unforgiving deserts in the world to die.

uhhuh then what do you do with the 12 million that stream in after they see that?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: daniel49
Originally posted by: Steeplerot

uhhuh then what do you do with the 12 million that stream in after they see that?

Deport conservatives to some religious fundamentalist authoritarian run hellhole they would prefer anyhow to make room.

Seriously though,
Of course we should document and make sure we dont have sick people coming over.
I could care less, the more the merrirer, more labor and bigger economy/diversity for us.
Immigration has only made us stronger no matter how many times bigots throughout history whine and throw out figures to the contrary.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
How about sending ALL the illegals home. Mexians, those from central and south America, Irish, Russians, Chinese, etc. Secure the borders so they can't sneak back in...Then make Welfare workfare. You want a check? work for it.. True, there will always be some who CAN'T work, and exceptions can be made for those, but the vast majority on welfare CAN work, but may need medical care, or child care to make it happen.
We don't need more immigration laws,(nor more gun laws) we just need to enforce the ones we already have on the books.
I'm a Democrat, (but not bleeding-heart liberal) who thnks it's past time to stop the invasion...

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
How about sending ALL the illegals home. Mexians, those from central and south America, Irish, Russians, Chinese, etc. Secure the borders so they can't sneak back in...Then make Welfare workfare. You want a check? work for it.. True, there will always be some who CAN'T work, and exceptions can be made for those, but the vast majority on welfare CAN work, but may need medical care, or child care to make it happen.
We don't need more immigration laws,(nor more gun laws) we just need to enforce the ones we already have on the books.
I'm a Democrat, (but not bleeding-heart liberal) who thnks it's past time to stop the invasion...

Yea they should be sent back... if YOU pay for it, because I sure as hell won't! There aren't even enough buses in the U.S to deport them all (in one trip of course).

dchakrab

Apr 25, 2001
I'm not sure we can discuss what to do with illegal immigrants without also talking about reforming our whole immigration system / law to begin with. As someone else said above, if we made our immigration system more efficient, it might solve a lot of problems right off the bat.

I'm from India, but I was born here in the US, so I don't have this problem. But, from friends back in Calcutta, I know the acceptance rate for visas at the US Consulate for *qualified* applicants is 13%. That's for applicants that meet their screening level of "qualified" ...which includes, among other things, having a ton of money and bank statements to prove how you got it, as well documenting that you have property in India and other compelling reasons to never apply for a Greencard / permanent residency here in the US.

After all that, we're accepting 13%, from a country we always think of as supplying our smartest IT guys. I'm not sure what the numbers are for Mexico, but I can tell you they're probably far from optimal.

Can't solve the illegal immigration problem without taking a good hard look at our immigration policy and the reality of how we treat these people are consulates all over the world. I've had the US Consul in Calcutta give me my replacement passport and tell me to my face she was only doing it because she had to, but if she had her way she'd never have given it to me...I was what, 14? She turned to her secretary and said "it's all these Indians, they go to America and then have kids and then they all want US passports so they can go live there" ...my parents actually sent me back to India to do high school, because they refused to let me do it in Georgia. Anyway, this was the Consul General for Calcutta, not some flunky at the consulate. With that kind of attitude (she made several blatantly racist remarks in public on several occasions) I'm not surprised fewer and fewer talented people are bothering to apply to come here, leaving it to the less-qualified instead.

D.