My picture pile

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Oddly enough, I find the best way to organize my photos is to just toss them in one big folder. All of them. And just give them good names. I've tried making subfolders for categories of pictures, but that just makes it take longer to get to them. If they're named well, you can jump straight to them if they're all in one folder.

How do you sort yours?

MeanMeosh

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
i sort mine by folders. every folder is tagged with date taken in front, followed by the occasion taken. file names are stock. so basically, a chronological order.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
ACDSee 6.0 or 7.0.

Doesnt matter where they are scattered, you can still find them easily.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Subfolders with event name, throw the relevant pictures in there, and leave them with the filename assigned from the camera. Not very organized, I know... :)

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
I just sort them in the order I take them and download them into my computer.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I keep mine in one folder, and simply name them in the format "event_picture," for example, "picnic_mike." That way, if I want to see a picture from "picnic," I just open the folder, and hit "p." Bam, I'm at the Ps, and then I can scroll from there. If I want to see them sorted by date, I simply sort by date!

Tifababy

Feb 5, 2001
I sort mine with folder name "YYYY_MM_DD - Event" and the filenames are DSCFXXXX.JPG or IMGXXXX.JPG depending on which camera I use. The sort by date option doesn't work, because I copied all my pictures from an old hard drive and now they all say they were created on 1/1/03. Although my web album extracts the EXIF data, so I can determine when the pictures were actually taken.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Tifababy
I sort mine with folder name "YYYY_MM_DD - Event" and the filenames are DSCFXXXX.JPG or IMGXXXX.JPG depending on which camera I use. The sort by date option doesn't work, because I copied all my pictures from an old hard drive and now they all say they were created on 1/1/03. Although my web album extracts the EXIF data, so I can determine when the pictures were actually taken.
Isn't the date hard-coded into the image properties? How did that info get erased?

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: MeanMeosh
i sort mine by folders. every folder is tagged with date taken in front, followed by the occasion taken. file names are stock. so basically, a chronological order.

yep, that's what I do. It works and is easy to find the pics.

stan394

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2005

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: stan394
But if the date is in front, there's no way to sort by event name.

stan394

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2005
Originally posted by: archcommus

why do you want to sort by event name? i almost never find i have such a need.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

My question is just the opposite, when do you ever want to sort by date? I never find myself thinking "Hmm, I want to see pictures from four months ago," or, "I want to see pictures from 4/17/05." I think, "I want to see pictures from the zoo." Bam, easy to find when you have them sorted by event.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
I just have folders for 2k0, 2k1, 2k2... etc... I pile everything in there. The camera numbers images in order... so all I have to do is remember what year it's from ;)

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

My question is just the opposite, when do you ever want to sort by date? I never find myself thinking "Hmm, I want to see pictures from four months ago," or, "I want to see pictures from 4/17/05." I think, "I want to see pictures from the zoo." Bam, easy to find when you have them sorted by event.