Solved! my pc says diagnosing pc every time i bootup

gtrxpro

Dec 21, 2021
Hi, my mc suddenly started popping up this diagnostic test out of nowhere yesterday (when booting), and then after running a SMART test on the hard drive it appeared that the "current pending sector count" had changed from 0 to . also after doing the diagnostic test it says to restart and after that it gets stuck on the boot logo screen for 3 or 4 min and then continues... i'm running windows 11 latest version now.

please help me

Solution
If the current pending sector count has gone from zero to >0, then chances are you've got a faulty hard drive / SSD. Does Windows manage to start eventually?

Also, in giant neon flashing letters: BACKUP YOUR PERSONAL DATA!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If the current pending sector count has gone from zero to >0, then chances are you've got a faulty hard drive / SSD. Does Windows manage to start eventually?

Also, in giant neon flashing letters: BACKUP YOUR PERSONAL DATA!

Solution

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Wait wait wait, which means its FAILING?

'current pending sector count'. Explanation:

Assuming it's a hard drive that's failing and not an SSD:

A hard drive's platter (where data is stored)is divided into sectors. Sometimes, a sector becomes not properly readable, and ideally it gets flagged for replacement from the drive's internal reserve cache of sectors, reserved for exactly this kind of scenario. The absolutely most ideal scenario that then occurs is that the drive manages to recover data from the dodgy sector, copies the data to a reserve sector, then the bad sector is marked as unusable and the computer carries on going without the user being any the wiser. I don't often encounter that most ideal scenario though, usually some symptom (like Windows failing to start, or long delays where there ought not to be delays) becomes noticeable to the user.

I don't have anywhere near as much experience with SSDs failing (I've seen two fail) as I do hard drives (I'd guess I've seen at least 200), so I wouldn't speak with confidence about what to expect. One SSD I saw that started to fail was only noticeable because I looked in the Windows event logs and there were lots of drive errors; the other one worked fine except any time it tried to write data to the SSD, Windows would boot then would act a bit squirrelly. From what I gather, most people with experience expect a sudden and complete death from an SSD.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i would inspect the physical sata cable as well.
ive seen pending errors because of a loose sata cable.

Reactions: DooKey