My overclock has no effect, help needed!

Story_cool

Dec 17, 2012
As the title says, the overclock I've performed on my cpu has no effect on benchmark scores (geekbench, passmark etc) and no perceptible difference in games. I went from 2.40 ghz to 3.0 ghz, and CPU-Z reports the frequency as such (although Windows 8 Task Manager still thinks it's 2.4....). I have had absolutely no experience with overclocking in the past, but since I have a G0 stepping q6600, I thought I'd try to eke out some more performance.

I bought a Zalman CNPS9700 to replace the stock intel cooler and read loads of guides off the internet (though I still don't understand overclocking 100%). I am currently running the following set up:

g41mt-s2p mobo(terrible, I know! I read that the g41 chipset mobos didn't make great overclockers, but I wasn't planning on getting crazy 3.6+ speeds!)
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 ram 4gb (2x2gb, 1333mhz, latency of 9-9-9-24); I performed memtest86 on it for 2 hours
Core 2 quad q6600
Radeon hd6950
Corsair TX650 psu
Windows 8 64 bit

I set the multiplier to 9x and the FSB to 333mhz, and kept the PCI frequency locked to 100mhz. I also switched the ram to the manufacturer's settings (9 9 9 24) and kept voltage stuck at 1.5v. I think the FSB to DRAM ratio was 1:2 (is this "synchronous"?). Up until this point I kept the CPU voltage on "automatic" because I only want to start decreasing it when I know I have a working overclock. I turned off C1E, but I couldn't turn off Intel speedstep because I couldn't find the option in my bios. I raised the fsb in small increments and prime95'd each time (for 5 minutes). At the 3.0ghz point I performed the benchmarks and noticed no improvement. Infact, speedfan seemed to be showing abnormally high CPU usage even though I wasn't doing anything. On that note, speedfan temps were fine; ~25 for all cores at stock speed (~35 at load), and ~38 at 3.0ghz (~45 at load).

I apologise for the information dump and for how much of it will sound wrong; it is my first overclock! It would be amazing if someone could tell me where I've gone wrong and fix everything! Thanks in advance :)!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Screenshots of CPU-Z would also be appreciated.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Here is everything on stock
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/stockrj.jpg/

Here is the overclock
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/overclocki.jpg/

I tried to fit everything into the same screenshot for efficiency's sake, but if there is anything else you need to see then let me know! I also performed a passmark 8 benchmark and each CPU test gave a "partial" score (because I didn't complete the whole test) of 939.6.

I don't know about this geekbench program you used, but do a cpu only test in pass mark and let us know the two results. Maybe that other program is video oriented.

Story_cool

Dec 17, 2012
I've done a few more benchmarks now:

Super Pi Calculating to 512k
2.4 ghz stock: 10.006s
3.0 ghz :9.952s

Passmark 8: CPU mark
2.4 ghz stock: 3339
3.0 ghz: 3259

Hope that helps!

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Maybe update BIOS. My Mobo also a completely different one had a bug with the BIOS it shipped which prevented overclocking (everythign looked fine in bios but in windows it was always running at stock).

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
As the title says, the overclock I've performed on my cpu has no effect on benchmark scores (geekbench, passmark etc) and no perceptible difference in games. I went from 2.40 ghz to 3.0 ghz, and CPU-Z reports the frequency as such (although Windows 8 Task Manager still thinks it's 2.4....). I have had absolutely no experience with overclocking in the past, but since I have a G0 stepping q6600, I thought I'd try to eke out some more performance.

I bought a Zalman CNPS9700 to replace the stock intel cooler and read loads of guides off the internet (though I still don't understand overclocking 100%). I am currently running the following set up:

g41mt-s2p mobo(terrible, I know! I read that the g41 chipset mobos didn't make great overclockers, but I wasn't planning on getting crazy 3.6+ speeds!)
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 ram 4gb (2x2gb, 1333mhz, latency of 9-9-9-24); I performed memtest86 on it for 2 hours
Core 2 quad q6600
Radeon hd6950
Corsair TX650 psu
Windows 8 64 bit

I set the multiplier to 9x and the FSB to 333mhz, and kept the PCI frequency locked to 100mhz. I also switched the ram to the manufacturer's settings (9 9 9 24) and kept voltage stuck at 1.5v. I think the FSB to DRAM ratio was 1:2 (is this "synchronous"?). Up until this point I kept the CPU voltage on "automatic" because I only want to start decreasing it when I know I have a working overclock. I turned off C1E, but I couldn't turn off Intel speedstep because I couldn't find the option in my bios. I raised the fsb in small increments and prime95'd each time (for 5 minutes). At the 3.0ghz point I performed the benchmarks and noticed no improvement. Infact, speedfan seemed to be showing abnormally high CPU usage even though I wasn't doing anything. On that note, speedfan temps were fine; ~25 for all cores at stock speed (~35 at load), and ~38 at 3.0ghz (~45 at load).

I apologise for the information dump and for how much of it will sound wrong; it is my first overclock! It would be amazing if someone could tell me where I've gone wrong and fix everything! Thanks in advance :)!

I've had this happen in the past to me on my gigabyte ds3l mobo and a G0 Q6600...for me the solution turned out to be a robust clearing of the CMOS followed by loading what the bios thought to be the "optimal parameters" before I attempted to change anything in terms of OC'ing.

By "robust CMOS clearing" I mean I had to physically unplug my PSU from the outlet, merely turning the PSU off with the PSU switch was not enough. Then I set the "clear CMOS" jumper to the "clear" position and left it there for more than 10 minutes.

Then I set the jumper to the "normal operation" position, plugged my PSU back into the outlet (into my UPS in reality), and switched on everything appropriately at that point for booting the computer.

Then, and only then, was I able to get the BIOS to "stick" the manual OC changes I was making in the BIOS.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Along with what everyone else has said, if you could also post screenshots of your memory information in CPU-Z (before and after, please), it would help. I'm struggling to understand what exactly you wrote, but it sounds like the final clockspeed on your RAM may be notably lower than it was pre-overclock.

Story_cool

Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone! I "robust"-ly cleared the CMOS (thanks Idontcare) and then flashed the BIOS to the newest version(thanks beginner99). I then went about overclocking again, and it worked!

Super Pi
2.4 ghz 10.006s
3.0 ghz 8.580s

CPU Mark
2.4 ghz 3339
3.0 ghz 3759

Geekbench
2.4 ghz 4386
3.0 ghz 5101

Do these results look significant? I thought that a 0.6 ghz overclock isn't earth shattering so that looked fine to me, but what do you all think? I tried to clock it further but the computer wouldn't post past 3 ghz (probably due to the motherboard).

Along with what everyone else has said, if you could also post screenshots of your memory information in CPU-Z (before and after, please), it would help. I'm struggling to understand what exactly you wrote, but it sounds like the final clockspeed on your RAM may be notably lower than it was pre-overclock.

Sorry if what I wrote was confusing, it's still all quite confusing to me! I have left prime95 on to torture test the OC that I did, so I don't think I'll be able to get the "before" CPU-Z results for a while. This is the ram I'm using http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-TW3...1C6U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355873893&sr=8-4 (incase there's any useful technical info there).

This is what CPU-Z shows currently: http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/985/cpuzoc.png

Is there anything I should fix in the bios ram-wise? Or should I just be happy with the current gains?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks for the help everyone! I "robust"-ly cleared the CMOS (thanks Idontcare) and then flashed the BIOS to the newest version(thanks beginner99). I then went about overclocking again, and it worked!

That's what I like to hear :thumbsup: Glad your problems are firmly behind you now :D

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Sorry if what I wrote was confusing, it's still all quite confusing to me! I have left prime95 on to torture test the OC that I did, so I don't think I'll be able to get the "before" CPU-Z results for a while. This is the ram I'm using http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-TW3...1C6U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355873893&sr=8-4 (incase there's any useful technical info there).

This is what CPU-Z shows currently: http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/985/cpuzoc.png

Is there anything I should fix in the bios ram-wise? Or should I just be happy with the current gains?
Your RAM looks good. Considering your new results I believe you should be set.:)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Very nice. You should see what yours will get up to for fun. I was very happy with my Q6600. It got up one about 3.6, but was too much of a heater to leave it there 24/7.