My other, negative review of Ni No Kuni NO SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by DigDog, Feb 8, 2013.

1. DigDog

DigDog Diamond Member

Right,

let me try to make sense to everyone.

I don't like NNK at all. What i look for in a game, "a challenge", isn't in here. NNK is too easy and holds your hand in a pathetic way.

I cannot stomach the cuteness which permeates this title.

There is way too much repetition, made worse by the how redundant it all is - it's so easy, you can't fail, why even bother.

Now, i've just deleted about 100 lines of TLDR review to get to the bare bones, the facts. Its a fact that it's too easy, that it's completely linear, and that it's really, really cute.

NNK is certainly the exact product that Level 5 wanted (and i helped them make it so), but i doubt if it was a good idea to want it this way; although it will be ideal for many people, it is so far removed from what me and others like me deem a "good game" that it alienates a substantial share of the market.

Yesterday i enjoyed The Kroll Show and Suits; to me NNK is like Bunheads and Pretty Little Liars - great for some, but bad for me. I have to say that i fully agree with those who before me have said, "it's not a game, it's an experience"; all that is to be found is if it's the right experience for you.

#1 DigDog, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - negative review Kuni Forum Date
    Horizon Zero Dawn reviews looking good... Console Gaming Feb 21, 2017
    PS4 Pro Review Console Gaming Nov 7, 2016
    Far Cry 4 reviews coming in now Console Gaming Nov 14, 2014
    Dragon Age Inquisition is getting amazing reviews Console Gaming Nov 11, 2014
    Destiny - Negative reviews, all the same 'complaints'... Console Gaming Sep 12, 2014

3. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

I enjoyed it immensely. Refreshing change from the "I'm too badass for the world and too sexy for my shirt" characters swinging swords that weigh more than a small car with more baggage than the history of the world.

Yeah its a little TOO cute and overdone at times (Wtf with the fairy island shit for example?) but overall it was a sweet and touching adventure.

It did seem rushed and incomplete, they missed many opportunities for what could have been incredible cut scenes and voiceovers and let it kind of trail off as the story concluded.

But the developers heart was in the right place, that's good enough for me to support.

4. cbrunny

cbrunny Diamond Member

You're not totally wrong. I can see why some people would feel this way. But, that's also the great thing about video games. Something for everyone.

Just curious - how long did you play for?

5. DigDog

DigDog Diamond Member

i worked on the game. i have 3 full playthroughs (including post-engame) plus many more hours; i loved the graphics, but hated the fact that it's made for very young people. Also, on a minor note, i expected more out of the evolution of pets. I've always hated FF mobs .. flowers, cats, cactuses...tanks in the shape of pigs .. etc .. i'm more of an orc 'n troll kind of guy.

@exdeath - you know .. i really liked the fairy island bit; it was so over the top that i actually found it enjoyable. Lol.

6. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

wtf you actually like the kroll show?

7. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Sounds like you probably don't like jRPGs, as what you've described is what constitutes most of games in that genre. They're entirely focused on the narrative so there's not a lot that can be done about many of those complaints.