My old digital8 camcorder is finally dead.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
My old Sony trv120 digital8 camcorder is dead - one of the video heads is bad. If I could get parts for it, I could fix it myself. As far as I can tell, digital8 is a dead format (i.e. you can't buy a new digital8 camera any more, even if you want to). The problem is that I have a whole lot of home movies on digital8 tapes that I can't play now. Luckily I have already put most of these on DVD, but there is 1 tape I haven't converted, and in addition I would like to retain the ability to play my tapes just in case a DVD gets damaged.

So I figure my options are:
1. buy a new digital8 camera, if I can find one (doubtful)
2. buy a used digital8 camera (ebay, etc)
3. pay to have my current camera repaired ($$$)
4. get parts & repair it myself ($$$, and some risk involved)

Any other options?

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
anyone sell D8 players or adapters? That way you keep your tapes and just buy a newer camera. I have a mini-DV but really want a HD one soon.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: RKS
anyone sell D8 players or adapters? That way you keep your tapes and just buy a newer camera. I have a mini-DV but really want a HD one soon.

Yeah - I plan on buying the Sony hdr-hc7 soon, but it is a miniDV cam, so I still have the problem of all my old tapes. I don't know if anyone sells any players or not - I'm kind of leaning towards getting a cheap old Sony off ebay.