Discussion My observations from selling an RX 580 on eBay Apr21

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I listed my RX 580 on eBay and within 2 hours have 9 offers between $120 to $400. Very sad because I am sure these people need video cards but cannot afford the crazy prices that are going on right now. I declined all the offers as I saw someone with the same card get $561 which is crazy! You know the person offering $120 is at their financial limit and if the chip shortage was not happening I would be estatic to get that much for a used GPU.

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You might want to take someone up on that offer VERY soon. I believe the great crypto crash may have finally started. Looks like Biden may have been onto something with taxing crypto income in the USA not as capital gains (since it isn't a stock/bond)... Prices are already plunging 8-10% as people are selling now before they have to pay 30-40% in taxes on it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You might want to take someone up on that offer VERY soon. I believe the great crypto crash may have finally started.
I believe so. I think that BTC dropping below $50,000 really spooked some people, that (like myself, sort of) didin't think that would happen. Well, it did.

I saw a brand-new Ventus XS GTX 1650 Super for BIN $297 (was going for around $400 before), and some RX 570 4GB BNIB BIN for $249. (Almost bought one or two, but then, they had like ten feedback, so I suppose it could have been a scam. There were three accounts with low feedback scores, and each of them were selling five cards, for around $250 ea. Maybe Newegg had a stock drop on them for $150 or something, and three people just bought max qty. which I assume was five?)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I believe so. I think that BTC dropping below $50,000 really spooked some people, that (like myself, sort of) didin't think that would happen. Well, it did.

I saw a brand-new Ventus XS GTX 1650 Super for BIN $297 (was going for around $400 before), and some RX 570 4GB BNIB BIN for $249. (Almost bought one or two, but then, they had like ten feedback, so I suppose it could have been a scam. There were three accounts with low feedback scores, and each of them were selling five cards, for around $250 ea. Maybe Newegg had a stock drop on them for $150 or something, and three people just bought max qty. which I assume was five?)
The 10 feedback ones are definitely scams Larry. When you check, the evals are for selling a single plastic bag for $1.10 each. That kind of thing.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I listed my RX 580 on eBay and within 2 hours have 9 offers between $120 to $400. Very sad because I am sure these people need video cards but cannot afford the crazy prices that are going on right now. I declined all the offers as I saw someone with the same card get $561 which is crazy! You know the person offering $120 is at their financial limit and if the chip shortage was not happening I would be estatic to get that much for a used GPU.

I'd take the next $400 offer. Waiting to get the same offer at an all time high price is like you said--crazy. No need to hit a home run when you can get a free walk from 3rd base.

Last edited:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I'd take the next $400 offer. Waiting to get the same offer at an all time high price is like you said--crazy. No need to hit a home run when you can get a free walk from 3rd base.

I was tempted but if there is that much demand already I will break $400 by Wednesday no problem.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
What is interesting to me is if I buy up graphics cards during the great eth crash of 2022, will they ever have value as miners anywhere else?

I think the answer is going to be no. I think after the great eth crash the ASICs will eat whatever remaining market, and GPUs will be worthless for mining.

There just is not that much money in eth classic and all the eth like cryptos.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Dang, finall selling price is $480 but the interesting thing is i got an email from another user ID, claiming they bought the card and to ship it to their address, scammers gonna scam! the ebay ID is not the same, i am not going to fall for that one!

Reactions: blckgrffn and Leeea

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Dang, finall selling price is $480 but the interesting thing is i got an email from another user ID, claiming they bought the card and to ship it to their address, scammers gonna scam! the ebay ID is not the same, i am not going to fall for that one!

Be sure to message the winner/buyer after the auction concludes. Just confirm with them that they bought the card. I would also put in the description that no payment within 24hr and you will cancel the auction.

Protect yourself as best you can, it's pretty crazy out there right now.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Be sure to message the winner/buyer after the auction concludes. Just confirm with them that they bought the card. I would also put in the description that no payment within 24hr and you will cancel the auction.

Protect yourself as best you can, it's pretty crazy out there right now.
I sent the invoice right away but never said they have 24 hours to pay. I always want to ship orders as soon as they are sold so it annoys me when people do not pay me. They usually pay in the evening after the post office closes so then it takes close to a full day before i can ship it out.

Reactions: Leeea

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I sent the invoice right away but never said they have 24 hours to pay. I always want to ship orders as soon as they are sold so it annoys me when people do not pay me. They usually pay in the evening after the post office closes so then it takes close to a full day before i can ship it out.

Yeah it just makes it simple. No pay, no need to message or mess around, just cancel & relist.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Keep in mind that just because one person got a higher amount for their item does not mean you'll get the same amount. When I determine the price for my auctions, which are almost always Buy It Now, I try to determine potential outliers and avoid factoring them into my price. I also rarely ever do free shipping, so I have to take into account shipping costs and whether my projected cost needs to be adjusted. I also turn off the ability to make offers as most people will just send the lowest possible value. (Don't assume that it's all they can afford.)

As a note, I sold my 2080 Ti and 1070 Ti without any problems.

You shouldn't do that even if it's the correct user as eBay buyer protection may not protect you if you shipped to an alternate address.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Keep in mind that just because one person got a higher amount for their item does not mean you'll get the same amount. When I determine the price for my auctions, which are almost always Buy It Now, I try to determine potential outliers and avoid factoring them into my price. I also rarely ever do free shipping, so I have to take into account shipping costs and whether my projected cost needs to be adjusted. I also turn off the ability to make offers as most people will just send the lowest possible value. (Don't assume that it's all they can afford.)

As a note, I sold my 2080 Ti and 1070 Ti without any problems.

You shouldn't do that even if it's the correct user as eBay buyer protection may not protect you if you shipped to an alternate address.

I am definitely not following any instructions outside the norm.

My RX 580 buyer was a no show for over 24 hours despite me 3 emails. He finally replied today twice. First email was asking me to drop the price $50 so he can avoid the additional tax tier in Saudi Arabia. I only sell to the US so he must be using a service to reship it. Second email is when he realized i cancelled his order and was asking why. Since he never communicated to me and only had 6 transactions since 2014 i assumed he might be connected to the scam email trying to get me to ship it to another address. I told him i cancelled since he never communicated. He said he had an issue with Mastercard but that did not prevent him from emailing me saying he would pay me on resolved. He is asking if I relisted it which i already did. Hopefully does not bid and win a second time.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Dang, forgot to even bother seeing how much I might could get for my RX 480 that I don't even game on any more!

Did you unload it already? If it makes you feel any better eBay fees are on the cart total which includes taxes and as a seller there is no where i have found to show the taxes paid. Second their fees are high, 12.55%. I have sold stuff in the past and it never felt outrageous but this is probably the most i have sold something for. 12.55% is a lot on $460!

• Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
That's why when I sell on ebay I always use buy it now with immediate payment required. I research what the item sold for in the past couple of weeks, make any adjustments based on condition, and just list it as buy it now. 90% of my items get sold within a week.

P.S. yeah ebay fees are outrageous. 12% to ebay, 3% to paypal, and another $10-20 to ship. That's $70-80 on a $460 card. Still better deal than trying to sell locally.

Reactions: JimKiler

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
The prices are just nuts, about 12-14 months ago I bought a used RX-470/4Gb card for $80, I don't game often and don't need much more than what it can do, those are selling for $250 BIN, it's crazy what people will shell out for.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
That's why when I sell on ebay I always use buy it now with immediate payment required. I research what the item sold for in the past couple of weeks, make any adjustments based on condition, and just list it as buy it now. 90% of my items get sold within a week.

P.S. yeah ebay fees are outrageous. 12% to ebay, 3% to paypal, and another $10-20 to ship. That's $70-80 on a $460 card. Still better deal than trying to sell locally.

Ebay stopped using Paypal for paying the seller, they connect to your bank account. So there is no PayPal fee.

If you are lucky enough to still be able to use Paypal to get paid (I have until May 21), then it's 10% Ebay fee, and 2.9% Paypal fee, just like the last 15 years or more.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Ebay stopped using Paypal for paying the seller, they connect to your bank account. So there is no PayPal fee.

If you are lucky enough to still be able to use Paypal to get paid (I have until May 21), then it's 10% Ebay fee, and 2.9% Paypal fee, just like the last 15 years or more.
The 3% paypal fee was never a paypal fee, it was credit card processing fee. I don't know what the new ebay payment options are going to be, but I'd bet sellers would still get hit with 3% CC fee if that is still an option. As a buyer I sure as hell wouldn't be paying through my bank account if I had CC option available to me.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
The 3% paypal fee was never a paypal fee, it was credit card processing fee. I don't know what the new ebay payment options are going to be, but I'd bet sellers would still get hit with 3% CC fee if that is still an option. As a buyer I sure as hell wouldn't be paying through my bank account if I had CC option available to me.

12.55% total for most categories. No CC fee. There's a .30 charge per transaction just like Paypal as well.

And it was never a CC fee, it's a Paypal fee. You got hit with it even if the buyer paid with a bank account or Paypal funds.

It's odd now when you pay with Paypal, it shows up in your Paypal account as a purchase from Ebay, does not list the seller, or the item. Sucks for keeping track of what you paid for things.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I guess its worth posting here (even though I feel crazy posting it):

It you're looking for a solid mid-range card at the moment and are not looking to spend outrageous sums of money on something... look at used 980Tis.

You're basically getting 1070/1660s performance, 6gb of RAM (so its not out of gas on that front yet), and great 1080P or solid 1440p performance, and most used listing I've seen on ebay are going for ~$250to $300.

Is that too much for that gen of card right now? Yes. But is it better than the outrageous $400-$500 1070's and 1660s' are going for at the same performance and feature level? Yes.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
You might want to take someone up on that offer VERY soon. I believe the great crypto crash may have finally started. Looks like Biden may have been onto something with taxing crypto income in the USA not as capital gains (since it isn't a stock/bond)... Prices are already plunging 8-10% as people are selling now before they have to pay 30-40% in taxes on it.

Wait...Are you saying I'll finally be able to buy a 30x0 GPU and it'll all be because of Biden? This is a lot to process!