My new way of cooking link breakfast sausage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
You don't have a jar of it sitting on your counter at all times? For shame. Right next to the olive oil, salt and pepper, is a big jar of bacon grease.

Better yet, go to the butcher and ask for a chunk of leaf fat. Render it into lard and use that. It is way better than vegetable oil.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Me too, but that guy said they were too greasy. As though that's ever a bad thing. It's sausage!

That's why you sop it up with your egg yolk. Nothing like that taste. Wife asked "how do you want your eggs?". Honey I'm making sausage, how do you think?

Over easy then as she rolls her eyes like she even needed to ask the question.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I like to boil the sausages a bit first. Cuts quite a bit of the salt.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
We've been eating a lot of duck lately. Gotta tell you, I won't waste a drop of that duck fat. I'm very close to just ordering it by the pound from D'Artagnan.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I'll put all the time in the world into a good dinner. More than 5 minutes for breakfast isn't going to happen though. Fuck breakfast and fuck the morning in general actually.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'll put all the time in the world into a good dinner. More than 5 minutes for breakfast isn't going to happen though. Fuck breakfast and fuck the morning in general actually.

This is Sunday breakfast. We eat at twelve, with bloody Mary's

In the south dinner is the afternoon meal. Call it brunch if you must on Sunday

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I was hoping that a graphite furnace and a rubber band powered push rod would factor into the new method. :(

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Damn you to hell for making this delicious thread that I can't eat! I have some breakfast sausages in the freezer, but just cheapo ones, got a whole ton of them for like $5-6. They are ok, but this thread is making me sooo hungry.

Definitely having bacon and eggs tomorrow morning, including all the greasy pan fried goodness.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I prefer the ones you get that don't have the casing. You cook them covered for a while with some water then dump the water and turn up the heat and finish cooking them. They always have a nice texture and I don't really love the casing on the breakfast sausage.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Sous vide would take like what, an hour to get to 140F? I hope you've set your alarm early enough so they're ready for me when I wake.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't make breakfast sausage, but for big Italians, I put them in my cast iron pan, and almost completely cover them in water. I then use high heat, and cook them uncovered until the water's gone, turning them occasionally. After the water's cooked out, I keep the heat on for about 30 seconds and constantly turn the sausages to brown. I then turn the heat off, and finish with the heat trapped in the pan.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Make your own. Coarsely ground pork shoulder with some fat back thrown into the grind (if you want). Season the ground mix with sage, allspice, salt, pepper. That's a basic breakfast sausage. No need to stuff it into casings. Use a scoop to make uniform patties, flatten, layer in waxed paper, put into a bag and freeze.

Allmost perfect but try adding 1/3 shoulder of Bambi

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Sous vide would take like what, an hour to get to 140F? I hope you've set your alarm early enough so they're ready for me when I wake.
Probably about 20 minutes since breakfast sausages aren't that thick. Add some time for pasteurization though.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Make your own. Coarsely ground pork shoulder with some fat back thrown into the grind (if you want). Season the ground mix with sage, allspice, salt, pepper. That's a basic breakfast sausage. No need to stuff it into casings. Use a scoop to make uniform patties, flatten, layer in waxed paper, put into a bag and freeze.

you forgot the spice summer savory.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I really want to start making my own sausages. Buy meat on sale, a nice lamb or veal leg for cheap.