My new i7-7740X runs at 68 c under Prime 95.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
My Threadripper 1950X runs at 68C @ 4GHz...so yeah, if your quad core is running hotter than my 16 core...that's hot.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
You must have some nice cooling on there! I have to underclock my 6700, on a 95W Intel cooler, to 3.1GHz, and it still runs in the 70s.

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
First of all what's 68C, core temperature, pseudo case temperature, some other altered temperature reading? What type of cooling is being used and what are local ambient temperatures?

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
You must have some nice cooling on there! I have to underclock my 6700, on a 95W Intel cooler, to 3.1GHz, and it still runs in the 70s.

Hah, Ken, if you were referring to me, I just purchased a nice AiO that is working great. I was poking a bit of fun at the OP, but honestly, on my old 2600k (my last CPU) I invested in an AiO just to keep temps down. I did OC, but that wasn't the reason for it. Intel's coolers function, but the CPU can still run hot. You never really realize just how much better a quality cooler can do until you have one. Also, quite a few people don't realize that you need to clean the HSF out every so often. Some machines I've worked on had the heatsink caked in hair and grime, and in more than one instance, the fan completely gave up due to not being able to spin! Those machines still booted, but throttled like crazy or froze up randomly depending on the CPU. I don't even work on PCs for a living...I'm just the nerd that everyone knows. God help the few braves souls that do. I did when I was younger, and I quit (and I was in business for myself!) when I walked into a roach filled house that smelled like a mix of human and cat urine to troubleshoot a busted PC. The motto of this story is to check and make sure your HSF is clean, the fan is working, and you have at least some air circulation in the case. I don't recall typical temps on my 2600k prior to water, but I encourage the OP to run Prime95 on the 'smallest' settings. if it gets above 80C within the first hour: get a new cooler.